Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] qsort() returns garbage

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Caitlin

[solved] qsort() returns garbage

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I'm trying to use qsort() to sort a table with 5 entries in it (room for 100) in a program. I've verified that the data in the table is valid when I call qsort(), but afterwards, there is nothing but trash there.

I'm programming in C using gcc. I've used qsort() successfully many times before under Turbo C, but this is the first time for gcc.

One difference is that Turbo C uses 2-byte short ints, but gcc uses 4-byte short ints. I thought gcc might be inserting slack bytes in the ELEMEN structure, but I added the ((packed)) attribute and this did not fix the problem.

Perhaps my call to the qsort() function is wrong. This particular problem is not mentioned on the internet. I checked the syntax of the call to qsort() there and it seems to be correct. There's nothing else to check there.

I'm including (what I believe to be) the relevant portions of my program. Let me know if you need anything else.

Code: Select all

#include <stdlib.h>                                                           /* 5 */

#define NOSLACK __attribute__((packed))
                                   /* don't insert slack bytes (comp without sync) */
                                                                             /* 10 */
#define TABWIDTH 200
                    /* width of table of tasks, prereqs, and postreqs (task table) */
                                                                             /* 41 */

#define TABSIZE 100
                                                /* number of entries in task table */

#define FIXED 3 * sizeof(short int) + 2 * sizeof(char)
                                     /* size of fixed-length portion of task table */

struct ELEMEN                                                                /* 59 */
   {short int tasknum;     /* task number of THIS task (excluding any step number) */
    char stepnum;                               /* step number (first = 'a', etc.) */
    char flags;                                   /* flags pertaining to this task */
    short int numpre;                           /* number of prereqs this task has */
    short int numpost;                         /* number of postreqs this task has */
    short int prereqs[0];        /* table of prerequisites (omitted if numpre = 0) */
    short int postreqs[0];     /* table of postrequisites (omitted if numpost = 0) */
    char fragment[TABWIDTH                /* fragment of the description; the max- */
     - FIXED];};                          /* imum that will fit (with zero byte)   */
                   /* the lengths of all the above fields should total to TABWIDTH */
                                                                             /* 70 */
struct GLOBALS                                    /* some global variables follow: */
   {NOSLACK struct ELEMEN cactus[TABSIZE];
    . . .
    char workarea[600];} g;                                        /* input buffer */

int e35(const void*, const void*);

qsort(&g.cactus, g.numelem, TABWIDTH, e35);         /* sort cactus using e35() */

int e35(const void* elem1, const void* elem2)
   {return (((const struct ELEMEN*)elem1)-> tasknum
     > ((const struct ELEMEN*)elem2)-> tasknum)                             /* 395 */
     - (((const struct ELEMEN*)elem1)-> tasknum
     < ((const struct ELEMEN*)elem2)-> tasknum);};
Last edited by Caitlin on 2020-06-22 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: qsort() returns garbage

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

A trivial bug: You're passing incorrect size of element to qsort(): it should be sizeof(struct ELEMEN), not TABWIDTH ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Caitlin

#3 Post by Caitlin »

I'll try it but struct ELEMEN was designed to be TABWIDTH bytes long.

Caitlin

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Caitlin wrote:I'll try it but struct ELEMEN was designed to be TABWIDTH bytes long.
If this was Your intention, then take a look at the formula for symbol "FIXED": it's definitely incorrect.

EDIT: OK, now I have some more time to explain what have happened:
The formula (3 * sizeof(short int) + 2 * sizeof(char)) is incorrect, because it does not take into account the data alignment, and it gives an offset of 8 bytes, while for the default 4-byte alignment the offset is 20 bytes. In the effect, the total struct size is 200-8+20=212 bytes, not 200 -> so qsort() will work with sizeof(struct), but not with TABWIDTH=200.

However, the root cause of the problem is in incorrect usage of the packed attribute (NOSLACK symbol): attributes are working with declarations of structures/functions, not with implementation.

Nevertheless, You should avoid using 'packed' attribute if it's only possible - it can cause dramatic performance loss and generates sub-optimal code if the structure is not manually optimized for packing. In Your case, this is easy:

Code: Select all

#define TABWIDTH 200
typedef struct {
    short int tasknum;   
    char stepnum;                          
    char flags;                                
    short int numpre;                        
    short int numpost;                      
    short int prereqs[0];      
    short int postreqs[0];
} header_struct;

struct ELEMEN {
    header_s hdr;
    char fragment[TABWIDTH - sizeof(header_struct)];
};
;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Caitlin

#5 Post by Caitlin »

Right you were, LE_746F6D617A7A69, the problem was in FIXED. I Added a pair of parentheses and now it works.

From: #define FIXED 3 * sizeof(short int) + 2 * sizeof(char)

To: #define FIXED (3 * sizeof(short int) + 2 * sizeof(char))

I effectively changed the sign of the last part. Here's how the calculation goes:

Tasknum, stepnum, flags, numpre, and numpost: 14 bytes (with 4-byte short ints), equal to the value of FIXED.
Prereqs[0] and postreqs[0]: 0 bytes.
Fragment: TABWIDTH (200) - FIXED (14) = 186 bytes.
Total size: TABWIDTH.

But that's not the whole story. Prereqs[0] is a table that can contain one or more entries, which "occurs depending on numpre". (Bonus points if you know what language the quoted part is.) Same for postreqs[0]. While the structure declaration shows no room in the prereqs/postreqs tables, they grow as needed. The extra needed is taken away from fragment, so the full structure size is always TABWIDTH.

Also, I figured I might have alignment problems. Turbo C, with its two-byte short ints, does line up because stepnum and flags together take up two bytes -- keeping everything following two-byte aligned. (I tried ((packed)) but it doesn't seem to be necessary.) If it does become a problem, I can move stepnum and flags to the end of the structure and make sure TABWIDTH is a multiple of 8.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Caitlin

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: [solved] qsort() returns garbage

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Caitlin wrote:#define FIXED (3 * sizeof(short int) + 2 * sizeof(char))
There's one problem: the above formula gives 8, not 14, and the explanation is rather different:
I've just checked, that gcc v8.3 is not using the default 4-byte alignment for this structure, (so it behaves a little bit different than some older versions), and the code works only thanks to this fact.
I.e. this is just a matter of luck, compiler version/flags used ;)

Obviously, in this situation, the (packed) attribute does nothing, but it should be used to avoid surprises in the future.
Alternatively, You could use a separate header structure to reliably calculate the size.