Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to install geany-plugin-debugger-1.36

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
geoffkaniuk

How to install geany-plugin-debugger-1.36

#1 Post by geoffkaniuk »

Hello C++ programmers,

I am getting ready to upgrade my system from 9 to 10 (buster).

I develop C++ programs using Geany as my IDE. There are quite a number of changes in the geany-plugins: 7 have been dropped and there are 2 new ones. What affects me most is the geany-plugin-debugger, which I have been using extensively, but is dropped in buster.

The version of geany is 1.33 in buster, but the latest Geany version is 1.36. The Geany users mailing list has indicated that one would have to build the debugger from source. I have found geany-1.36 and geany-plugins-1.36 in sid, but still no debugger.

A web search presents many different ways, but what I have seen so far is decades old. One recent post I found is a build in Raspian: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=263730 . The post gives a link to a Japanese language discussiont, but it does contain a code script showing details in normal language.

I have never had the need to build any package from source, and so I have two questions:

Q1: If geany-1.36 and geany-plugins-1.36 is built from source, will this work as expected in buster?
Q2: Has anyone done this, and would you be prepared to point me in the direction of documentation which explains how to go about doing this?

Any help will be hugely appreciated!
Geoff

LE_746F6D617A7A69

Re: How to install geany-plugin-debugger-1.36

#2 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

geoffkaniuk wrote:Q1: If geany-1.36 and geany-plugins-1.36 is built from source, will this work as expected in buster?
Fortunately it uses autotools as a build system -> compile it with the --prefix=<not_a_system_directory> (f.e. /opt/geany).
This will cause that all the libs/modules/executables/icons/etc. will be placed in a single directory (f.e. /opt/geany) when You invoke the "make install".
If something will go wrong (but I don't think so) You can remove all the installed components by simply removing a single directory.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed