Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft VM and Java (from Sun)

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Microsoft VM and Java (from Sun)

#1 Post by domecq »

I know nothing about programming... (well, actually, some basics like everyone, enough to cook my food).

My question is in a very general way, I cannot mention the application name here due to some "007 stuff" called confidentiality I am forced to maintain.

I heard about an application made in Java, which design was optimized for Microsoft VM.

My mere understand is that Microsoft VM is an java machine implementation of MS. Java (from Sun) is an implementation of that machine from the authors of Java (Sun). Other companies and organizations created their own machines too (example: IBM). If I am wrong, please let me know, and stop reading here.

Reading one of those "learn or teach yourself in a few hours or days" books about Java, I learnt that once we have a Java machine installed, a Java application would work fine. A pre-requisite, right?

So... what's this story about "optimizing" an application for a specific Java machine? (In the case, Microsoft VM).

Does this make any sense or is it another MS theology to force people to buy or use MS products?

Thanks,

domecq

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#2 Post by Lavene »

The whole idea behind Java was that it is platform independent, so I would think that if Microsoft started to 'improove' on Java they would in effect kill the need for actually use Java and migt just as well write the apps in C++.

What I have heard though is that C++ programs that interacts with the VM can be optimized for it which is another matter. But then again... who knows what MS is doing.

Not an answer to your question I know...

Tina :)

lacek

#3 Post by lacek »

The java VM can provide "native" calls which are handled by the virtual machine itself (like System.arraycopy). These calls (of course) usually way faster than their bytecode counterpart (if they have any -- they usually don't, for obvious reasons). I'm not sure, but maybe the Microsoft VM has some more, or different "native" calls than the Sun JVM, so code actually can be "optimized" to use MS VM. I can even imagine that there are some incompatible calls, because MS tend to do everything a bit different than others.

Note that, however, Microsoft doesn't provide its own Java VM anymore. You can upgrade an existing one, but newer windows versions doesn't have the MS JVM and you can't download it, only the upgrades. At least to my knowledge...

<flame>
Not to mention, most of the time, "optimization" means that some mountebank "programmers" "write" "their" code in some visual editor, often not even knowing what they do exactly, and after the program is ready, they're baffled to see that the program runs only in some rare constellations, in a very specific environment.
After this, they tend to say "Yes, that's because our program is heavily optimized to this environment, that's why it doesn't run elsewhere".

Beware of "optimized" programs of this type. :-D
</flame>

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

Thank you both for your time.

And, yes lacek, that's true and I forgot to mention that, MS discontinued its VM but taking into account recent events with that company (and also Sun, after all, what happened to their "Mad hatter" Linux distribution?), we have to observe what Tina mentioned (who knows what MS is doing).

Anyways, you both really answered my question and gave me some insights too.

Thank you again,

Cheers,

domecq

PS.: lacek, have you ever heard of a book called "Budapest", that was wrote by a Brazilian musician?

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

lacek, have you ever heard of a book called "Budapest", that was wrote by a Brazilian musician?
Yes I've heard of it (it's written by Chico Buarque, isn't it?), but I hadn't read it yet.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by domecq »

Chico Buarque, that's him.

It give us an idea of Budapest, although the story is fiction but the way he described the city seems to be based on his real experience there... and about the Hungarian language too. The Brazilian characters are hilarious. If one loves reading, this book is a nice suggestion.

I realized just now that this book should deserve another post... ;)