Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Alternative to Vim and Emacs

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
DebNewbie

Alternative to Vim and Emacs

#1 Post by DebNewbie »

Yes, I know those 2 are the most popular.

I like Vim better because it colors more codes, because there are some things that Emacs does not color. But I can not stay with Vim, because its controls are hard to use for a newbie like me.

I like Kate/Kwrite very much, but that is for KDE. And I do not want to be getting the huge K deps just for one thing. Furthermore, I am looking for something that runs off terminal.

So what is available?

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

There are quite a few:

nano, the base editor on debian
emacs, the big editor
vim, the enhanced vi
motor, a console C/C++/Java IDE

There are more - apt-cache search text editor.

DebNewbie

#3 Post by DebNewbie »

I like nano, but it does not have any coding colors. Is it suppose to be a programming editor? If so, how do I get the colors?

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

How about gedit?

Are you sure that vim is too complicated? I use it regularly with only a few instructions: vi [filename] to start, i to edit, and wq to write and exit. What else do you need?

DebNewbie

#5 Post by DebNewbie »

gedit is GUI, I am looking for something terminal-based.

vim has complicated controls. I been trying to work it for 20 minutes, and still confused over the controls. I have installed and uninstalled it repeatedly in the past to give it new chances. But in the end, it is the same. Confusing controls.

It is just so typical for me to start up a file in vim and get that swap file thing telling me that something crashed. I have no idea what it is talking about.

The moment I open vim, I expect it to let me type. But it doesn't, keywording is disabled and I would have to hit "Insert" or something to let me edit. Whenever I try to Ctrl+ something I would have to hit the Esc first. I would have to switch back and forth between. Too complicated.

So finally, I save and quit, and it would create all these extra file supposely for backup or recovery purposes. If I want that to happen, I would do it manually so I don't have to delete the extra files.

I am looking for something that just works and friendly. Like nano, I like it a lot, but I don't think it is meant for programming.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

DebNewbie wrote:It is just so typical for me to start up a file in vim and get that swap file thing telling me that something crashed. I have no idea what it is talking about.
It sounds like you have something wrong with yours.

Grifter

#7 Post by Grifter »

jed for terminal, scite for X
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

BTW, I use vi in a terminal. The vim in the Debian menu looks rather awkward to me.

muffinpeddler

#9 Post by muffinpeddler »

nano does have syntax highlighting, you just have to enable it in the config file (~/.nanorc). See this site: http://wiki.linuxhelp.net/index.php/Nan ... ghlighting

You are going to come back to vim or emacs sooner or later, so you might want to consider learning one, you will never be the same.

ajdlinux

#10 Post by ajdlinux »

Thanks for that link muffinpeddler! I'll write a howto for it and post here.

divukman

#11 Post by divukman »

joe is a great editor :)