Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Little images in the adress bar

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
Linlord

Little images in the adress bar

#1 Post by Linlord »

A lot of sites have little logos next to the url in the browser.
How can I add such a image to my site?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

First you have to create an image, preferably one of size 16x16. The papers say you need to convert it to .ico (window$ ico). It may pose a problem, tough, so head for http://jdraw.sourceforge.net/, where you can find a program which is capable of creating .ico files (kiconedit was able to do it, but recent versions seem to be "upgraded", so they can't save .ico format).
My experience is that you can leave it in .png, because all linux-based browsers can handle it, and Explorer can't handle icons at all (see below).

Now there are two things you can do:
1. Copy the resulted image to the webroot, and name it favicon.ico. Most browsers will find it.

2. Add this tag to the document you want to have the icon:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/your_icon">

Mozilla and Opera seems to handle these pretty well. Konqueror caches the icons, and can be very stubborn. Internet explorer seems to ignore these icons and do not display them, neither png or ico images...

Anyway, if you happen to figure out how to get IE to handle these icons, let me know...

Pintobean

#3 Post by Pintobean »

lacek, thanks for the info. I was able to use irfanview to save my favicon as a *.ico file. You can download irfanview free. Check it out at http://www.irfanview.com/ if.

Pintobean

#4 Post by Pintobean »

I guess irfanview is only available for windows, so it may not be an option for the debian community. Sorry. I recently installed debian on a second computer (that's how I found my way to this forum), but I still use a windows desktop for my webpage design. Still, I was excited when I ran into lacek's post on how to put a favicon on a website.

mikekgr

#5 Post by mikekgr »

Dear Sirs,
just to info you that irfanview running perfevtlly on linux under wine.

Best Regards
Mike Kranidis