ls -t appears to fail, kdevelop and others

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

ls -t appears to fail, kdevelop and others

Postby alecs1 » 2006-09-27 12:45

While trying to compile programs with kdevelop, i get the following errors:
[...]
checking whether build environment is sane...
configure: error: ls -t appears to fail. Make sure there is not a broken
alias in your environment
configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock
[...]

I usualy write program with Qt and those work, thanks to qmake(that when I am not forced to work on Windows). But with plain c++ I get that error in kdevelop, with anjuta/eclipse I don't get those errors, but the compilation goes strange saying it doesn't find the header files. Did a reinstal in synaptic to automake, autoconf and some others, no change.
Then i created a new user and used kdevelop from there, it worked.
How can I fix this without making a new user and solutions like this, because I spent quite some time customizing my kde and programs to fit my needs.

LE:
the computer runs debian testing updated a minute ago
Enjoy!
alecs1

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-09-28 09:39

You don't have any special aliases in your bashrc or bash_profile?
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby alecs1 » 2006-09-28 11:09

no, nothing like that
I have commented the lines which aliased ls, erased them, removed .bashrc. There is nothing special there. I even replaced .bashrc, .bash_profile and .profile with the ones from the new user. I don't understand what is the difference between this user and the other one. Anyway, this is annoying and I am happy I don't have to write in c++ on Linux these days (I do it on Windows :( ).
Enjoy!
alecs1

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-09-28 20:42

So why exactly is ls -t failing? Does it work from the console? (On my system it makes a two-column listing.)
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby Bulfaiter » 2006-09-28 22:15

You can check your current alias by typing
Code: Select all
$alias

Also, you can do
Code: Select all
$alias ls="ls"
to get sure your ls is the one kdevelops expects.

Besides that, I'd try to compare the .kdevelop (I'm not using it, but I guess that directory is created when you start kdevelop the first time) between the two different users. Maybe there's something in the configuration what creates your problem.
Bulfaiter

Postby alecs1 » 2006-09-29 12:29

I do this just for the sake of doing it and maybe to learn something, if I will have to code something on Linux (I sure hope so) I will use the other accout if no one will help until then.
Anyway, ls -t works just fine (you should have assumed that I had the decency to test that ;) ), prints the newest files first, in order. Alias returned nothing, until I tried the alias ls="ls" command.
I renamed the kdevelop configuration file and the problem persists. Keep in mind that the other programing enviroments have problems too on this user.
Any other idea for where the difference can come from?
Enjoy!
alecs1

possible solution

Postby boardmaster357 » 2006-11-05 01:26

I had the same problem, and it dissapeared when I created a project in a path without spaces. for example

/home/name/My Projects/ would not work as a project directory but
/home/name/Projects/ would because the path has no spaces.

hope this helps :)
boardmaster357

Postby Grifter » 2006-11-05 02:24

maybe it's not actually a problem with ls, but rather with the system time your user has

configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock

why would a newly created file be older than files already on your system? so there's a faulty timestamp somewhere
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Grifter

Re: possible solution

Postby UA_Igor » 2006-11-13 11:28

boardmaster357 wrote:I had the same problem, and it dissapeared when I created a project in a path without spaces. for example

/home/name/My Projects/ would not work as a project directory but
/home/name/Projects/ would because the path has no spaces.

hope this helps :)

I have the same problem when the path has spaces and project was created on vfat file system.
UA_Igor

Re: possible solution

Postby Guest » 2007-02-18 12:08

Exactly the same to me. Just don't use spaces in path.

However, kate (for example) works properly. And kate is musch more efficient and user friendly than MS Visual C++ or Dev C++ (from my point of view of course).

Postby alecs1 » 2007-03-01 16:53

Sorry for forgeting to reply to the topic.
boardmaster357, thank you for the reply.
Indeed, the problem was with the spaces in the path. Googling a bit showed me that this is a well known limitation with autotools, and on a discussion list, back in 2004 I think, someone wrote that the next version will give a warning about spaces in the path. Anyway, I did not see the warning, I don't think Kdevelop supresses messages.
Then, I got my makefile with qmake (I did not know how to write a makefile then).
Too bad I lost so much with that, I really hope Linux tools will succeed in becoming more user friendly.
Enjoy!
alecs1

Return to Programming