Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

PHP5 vs PHP4

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.

Which php version do you prefer?

PHP 4.3.10 (Current Sarge Standard)
50%
PHP 5.0.4
50%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 16

shaun

PHP5 vs PHP4

#1 Post by shaun »

I am currently looking into developing my own php based site, and have heard a lot about the benefits of the OOP in PHP 5. I am running Sarge with Apache 1.3 and MySQL 4.0, and I was wondering if it would be worth it try to compile the php 5 source myself. I'm a relative newbie and don't know much about installations outside apt-get and aptitude. Also, my installation is fairly bare bones and there are many dev packages missing.

sensovision

#2 Post by sensovision »

hi Shaun! I would choose PHP version depending on where my site would be hosted. If it wouldn't be hosted on your local PC I would check first what PHP version has your hosting company, as from what I know a lot of them has PHP 4 and don't plan for upgrade in near future. In such case it's better to have same version of product for developing your site isn't it?
If you're going to host your own site on local PC why don't install PHP 5 and enjoy all bells and whistles? ;) BTW I don't quite remeber but I think there is no PHP 5 avaiable as package, so you probably had to build it yourself, on the good side it's relatively easy, and there are number of HOWTOs on how to accomplish this.
Denis

shaun

#3 Post by shaun »

Thanx. It's on my own server, so I compiled php5 myself with help from a how-to ... can't remember which one now ... I'll try to remember and post it later. I switched to php5 because I like the idea of a more object-oriented approach ... done way too much java ...

I copied my old php4 config info from phpinfo and used that in the ./configure step, but it basically had everything added, and I didn't seem to have all the dependencies, so I cut some of it out ... anyways, it seems to be working now, but thanx for the advice.

sensovision

#4 Post by sensovision »

my pleasure, I always glad to help if I can :)
Denis

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#5 Post by Scotti »

Just curious to why there is an "other" selection in the poll when the topic is "PHP 5 VS PHP4"? ;)

sensovision

#6 Post by sensovision »

Just curious to why there is an "other" selection in the poll when the topic is "PHP 5 VS PHP4"?
it's always good to have a choice ;)
Denis

#7 Post by Guest »

PHP5 for me without hestitation. But getting it going on Debian can be a pain!

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#8 Post by Scotti »

# apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-php5

Done.

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#9 Post by kink »

PHP5 is still too unstable and buggy for me. I'd rather wait a bit longer until most of the common bugs are ironed out. Currently, every new release of PHP5 changes behaviour of things.