RPM for Debian and DEB for Red Hat?

Need help with C, C++, perl, python, etc?

RPM for Debian and DEB for Red Hat?

Postby thamarok » 2006-10-13 16:34

Hello!

I am working on a packer called lupacker (Linux Universal PACKER).
It should be able to open/create DEB, RPM, RAR, ZIP, TAR etc..

The RAR, ZIP, TAR part is done and it was quite easy, but the hard part is to allow Debian users to also use RPM's and Red Hat users DEB's.

I know there is alien, but I would like to do this without the help of other tools. This project should have a GUI version as well a command line version.

Any information, feedback, help is very appreciated! Thanks!
thamarok

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-10-13 21:19

Is this tool expected to create packages that actually work and/or are supposed to be close to production quality?
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby thamarok » 2006-10-14 16:42

ajdlinux wrote:Is this tool expected to create packages that actually work and/or are supposed to be close to production quality?

Yes. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks!

EDIT: And for people who think RPM's for Debian is useless, look for KMago (a frontend to wget) the newest version is 2.0 and the DEB isn't released yet, but there is the RPM and the source tarball (and I am one of those who hate sources that need to be compiled, binaries are the way to go!)
thamarok

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-10-14 21:12

The real issue is will the binaries even run on Debian? How will your program cope with the fact that different distros have different library versions? Realistically it is very hard to implement; even after quite a number of years alien still doesn't work on all packages.

The easier way is to have an automated package creation tool - Daniel Milstein is developing Packer which does debs, rpms and autopackage. Then you just need to get an RPM system and a DEB system and compile the packages using the outputted spec files.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby thamarok » 2006-10-15 09:01

ajdlinux wrote:The real issue is will the binaries even run on Debian? How will your program cope with the fact that different distros have different library versions? Realistically it is very hard to implement; even after quite a number of years alien still doesn't work on all packages.

The easier way is to have an automated package creation tool - Daniel Milstein is developing Packer which does debs, rpms and autopackage. Then you just need to get an RPM system and a DEB system and compile the packages using the outputted spec files.

Yes. You have a point there, it will get hard, but I'll try to do a stable one like alien and I know also some other packaging methods, like Cool Packager. :P
thamarok

Return to Programming