Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

monitor turns itself off every 10 seconds

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
don_sangiorgio

monitor turns itself off every 10 seconds

#1 Post by don_sangiorgio »

hi, i'm new to linux and debian. But none of the less I managed to pull trough a debian netinstall.
Everything is more or less configered the way I like it, but there is one really anoying problem...the monitor turns it self off after 10 seconds of inactivity (no keyboard action)!
This happend the second I installed Debian and has nothing to do with the X server because it happens in command line, as well as in KDE.
There is probably a simple fix for it but as I stated before...i'm a linux n00b :wink:

I should say that I am running an Asus s8200 laptop on adaptor (not on the battery)
Thx in advance

anon

#2 Post by anon »

Smells like something outside of debians control, check for bios updates, scour asus forums.

don_sangiorgio

#3 Post by don_sangiorgio »

nope, debian is the first distro where I had this problem with, even Ubuntu didn't have this problem and I believe it's Debian based. So there must be something to configure to end this annoyance

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

Check your screensaver settings
$ xscreensaver-demo
In the settings, check the "Blank after" setting (mine is 10 minutes)

don_sangiorgio

#5 Post by don_sangiorgio »

Like I stated above, the problem has got nothing to do with the X server, I had the problem before I even installed Xfree86! When he's done starting up into Debian and I can login into command line, after 10 secs the screen goes into standby, even when I connect an external monitor he does the same thing! I'm starting to think linux was a bad idea after all, win doesn't have these kinds of problems...but I'm willing to try!!

mikekgr

#6 Post by mikekgr »

Dear don_sangiorgio,
I am not Debian expert at all but I suspect acpi or apm problem. See them at /etc/acpi/ and /etc/apm/ and ofcourse your friend man acpi and man apm

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis