Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which tool do you use for package management?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Which apt tool(s) do you use for package management in Debian?

apt-get
40%
aptitude
21%
synaptic
16%
dselect
3%
combination of apt-get + synaptic
20%

Total votes: 70

jobezone

Which tool do you use for package management?

#1 Post by jobezone »

My question is which of the various front-ends and tools for APT do you use to install/update/remove packages in your Debian system?

Myself, since I've reinstalled Debian Sarge a few months ago, I've followed the recomendation I found in its installation manual and exclusively use aptitude. And so far it has been working great. Not only can I use it to install packages in the command line, like apt-get, but I also use its text-frontend to search and browse for packages. Also, the feature of removing unneded packages is nice.

Before, I used a combination of apt-get to install, and Synaptic to browse packages.

Dselect, I _never_ liked, because of its interface!
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

geoffb

Re: Which tool do you use for package management?

#2 Post by geoffb »

jobezone wrote:My question is which of the various front-ends and tools for APT do you use to install/update/remove packages in your Debian system?

Myself, since I've reinstalled Debian Sarge a few months ago, I've followed the recomendation I found in its installation manual and exclusively use aptitude. And so far it has been working great. Not only can I use it to install packages in the command line, like apt-get, but I also use its text-frontend to search and browse for packages. Also, the feature of removing unneded packages is nice.

Before, I used a combination of apt-get to install, and Synaptic to browse packages.

Dselect, I _never_ liked, because of its interface!
I used to just use apt-get, but I find Synaptic much more efficient to browse through.

pigah

#3 Post by pigah »

long time debian user that could never get used to the intuitive interface of either aptitude or synaptic. once you get the hang of dselect you cant stop.

Terje

#4 Post by Terje »

Just apt-get does it all for me :)
Registered Linux user number 391283.

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity.

#5 Post by Guest »

I usually use apt-get, but I'm starting to use the testing version of kpackage now, and I'm finding it pretty useful.

AdrianTM

#6 Post by AdrianTM »

apt-get 99% of the time, only if I need to search something I might start synaptic.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

manny

#7 Post by manny »

I just type

Code: Select all

# emerge --update world
and that is all i need to make my computer 1120% faster and it also updates my backyard garbage and make my car 35% faster.
(allright, that was a stupid joke) i voted so fast that i missed "combination of atp+synaptic" just voted for synaptic.
Yesterday i came across "The Emerde Projec" http://emerde.freaknet.org/ seems interesting (maybe) i'm gonna try it on my slackware partition ;)

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#8 Post by Scotti »

I use apt-get to install packages, Synaptic for maintanance and package removal.

mikekgr

#9 Post by mikekgr »

wajig guys, see wajig very very nice as text tool (from console)

jobezone

Re: Which tool do you use for package management?

#10 Post by jobezone »

I think I should have left out the "Synaptic+apt-get" option from the poll :( It makes the results less clear), and should instead ask what is the application you most use for package management....

Oh well :/

Also, you should try adept, it's very cool, and uses Debtags!
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#11 Post by domecq »

I use apt-get when doing my stuff and Synaptic when helping people who prefer a GUI.

Domecq

adssse

#12 Post by adssse »

Like many so far I mainly use apt-get. Occasionally I cant remember what a package is called and use Synaptic in order to search for it. I am fairly new to debian and am not sure exactly what the difference between apt-get and aptitude or what the benefits are.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#13 Post by Lavene »

I use mainly apt-get. Every now and then I 'clean' my system by removing stuff I have installed but never use and then I use synaptic. Learning aptitude has been on the agenda for six months but I just never get around to it...

:)
Tina

muskrat

#14 Post by muskrat »

Yesterday i came across "The Emerde Projec" http://emerde.freaknet.org/ seems interesting (maybe) i'm gonna try it on my slackware partition Wink
That looks interesting! I'll have to give it a try, that's one thing Debian always holds over Slackware.

I've used apt for every thing, can't seem to keep dselect from braking my system, I'm sure it's me. for example once I made some bad solection, and presto, deselect uninstalled all of KDE. Now that wasn't what I wanted :(

I have a question about Synaptic, Is it part of the base install of Debian 3.1 or do I need to added it? Question #2, If it's part of base where is it? I've looked in the menu but don't see it in KDE. Question #3 Is it called up from CL? if so whats the command?
Steve - Muskrat
Registered Linux user #305785.
Registered desktop PC #261727 Sidux
Registered laptop PC #310468 Debian Lenny

CuCullin

#15 Post by CuCullin »

Other.... KPackage. Unless you want to count that as apt-get. At the CLI, I use aptitude like apt-get... ie: aptitude install packagename. I don't like the aptitude ui at all, but someone mentioned somewhere (I forget where) that aptitude was the recommended way of doing things now.

jobezone

#16 Post by jobezone »

CuCullin wrote:Other.... KPackage. Unless you want to count that as apt-get. At the CLI, I use aptitude like apt-get... ie: aptitude install packagename. I don't like the aptitude ui at all, but someone mentioned somewhere (I forget where) that aptitude was the recommended way of doing things now.
I should have worded the poll! The question should have been:

What is the apt frontend you mostly use for package management?
1 - adept
2 - aptitude
3 - apt-get
4 - adept
5 - synaptic
6 - other (specify)

Lou

#17 Post by Lou »

To install packages, i use apt-get, to remove packages: dpkg -P, also deborphan and debfoster.

UKer

#18 Post by UKer »

Adept and sometimes apt-get