Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

getlibs: Automatically solves dependencies for binaries

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Cappy

getlibs: Automatically solves dependencies for binaries

#1 Post by Cappy »

On 64-bit systems it downloads and installs libraries needed for 32-bit programs and 64-bit programs.
On 32-bit systems it downloads and installs libraries needed for 32-bit programs.

Newest version: 2.01 released on [January 3rd, 2008]

Thank you to the following contributors: marararam RavanH ViRMiN
Thank you to the following bug reporters: Cabal elanthis BogusJoe NullHead
Thank you to the following Beta Testers: Kilz BogusJoe NullHead

To install or upgrade:
http://www.boundlesssupremacy.com/Cappy ... bs-all.deb
Download and double click the file to install.

-----

View the source without installing the package:
http://www.boundlesssupremacy.com/Cappy/getlibs/getlibs

getlibs works on:
  • All Ubuntu and Debian systems
  • Debian or Ubuntu based distributions (best to use the package name)

Tip: To install a 32-bit debian package for a program (not a library!) use

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i --force-all package_name.deb
Usage Examples:

getlibs on a program to download all missing libraries:

getlibs /usr/bin/skype
-----

Use getlibs to install a 32-bit library using the library name:

getlibs -l libogg.so.0 libSDL-1.2.so.0
-----

Use getlibs to install a 32-bit library using the package name:

getlibs -p libqt4-core libqt4-gui
-----

Install a 32-bit library file (.deb):

getlibs -i ~/i386_library_1.deb
-----

Download and install a 32-bit library file (.deb):

getlibs -w ubuntu.com/i386_library_1.deb
-----

Other options:

--mirror or -m : Use the specified mirror to download from if one is not specified by package

--verbose : Extra output

--ldconfig : Runs ldconfig on directories where new libraries are installed

-64 : Will let apt-get install 64-bit packages for a 64-bit system

-32 : Left only for compatibility with getlibs v1

--distro : can set as either Ubuntu or Debian. Ubuntu installs to /usr/lib32 and/or /lib32. Debian installs to /emul/ia32-linux/

--release : can set as hardy gutsy feisty edgy or dapper. Determines what web interface release is used in search.
Last edited by Cappy on 2008-01-09 06:27, edited 7 times in total.

Dilkmoth

#2 Post by Dilkmoth »

I must admit this looks wonderful. But why should we trust a package that isn't say in the debian repositories or whatever the equivelent for your distro? Nothing personal, but this is a general question about advisable protocol regarding wonderful sounding binaries on the net and maintaining a secure bug free, con free system. Presumably getlibs won't work unless executed by the root user. Now that sounds dubious to me unless screened by some trusted oober-coders, in my case the Debian developement team(s). What do other people think? If your package does what you claim as well as you claim then you should have no trouble getting Debian et al to distribute it right?

Cappy

#3 Post by Cappy »

It's just a sh script so it CAN'T do anything unless executed as super user. Like any other script, it can only do what the user who runs it can. It doesn't overwrite anything or make any changes without root.

As for debian distributing it, I'm not sure they would like it that a script automates packages.debian.com.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Dilkmoth wrote:I must admit this looks wonderful. But why should we trust a package that isn't say in the debian repositories or whatever the equivelent for your distro? Nothing personal, but this is a general question about advisable protocol regarding wonderful sounding binaries on the net and maintaining a secure bug free, con free system. Presumably getlibs won't work unless executed by the root user. Now that sounds dubious to me unless screened by some trusted oober-coders, in my case the Debian developement team(s). What do other people think? If your package does what you claim as well as you claim then you should have no trouble getting Debian et al to distribute it right?
Ultimately it's down to your self. If you are able you can review the code, or get someone you trust to do it, you can see if anyone else is using it etc. but in the end it comes down to: do you choose to trust the program/ programmer or not.

Personally I'm very careful if it's a prorietary binary from a source I don't know. Some stuff, like bash/ python scripts I'm usually able to tell if the code does what it claim to do but sometimes it's just your gut feeling that decides.

The best way to stay as secure as possible is of course to stick with official packages but sometimes no package exists for something you really want.

Tina

Dilkmoth

#5 Post by Dilkmoth »

Thanks for clarifying a few things. I had missed in the original posting that we were talking about a script. Well it sounds excellent, when I get a change I'll certainly be checking it out.

Thanks
DM

bouncingmolar

#6 Post by bouncingmolar »

did I do something wrong?

# getlibs /usr/bin/skype
No match found for package libQtCore.so.4
No match found for package libQtDBus.so.4
No match found for package libQtGui.so.4
No match found for package libQtNetwork.so.4
No match found for package libsigc-2.0.so.0
No libraries to download.
also

getlibs -32 libQtCore.so.4
No match found for package libQtCore.so.4
No libraries to download.

Jorma

AMD-64 and Skype

#7 Post by Jorma »

I have AMD-64 and Kuduntu Feisty. I've made months of work to find tips how to get Skype working. Today I found your tips and in one hour I got Skype running. Very much thanks to you and I am very happy. Best regards Jorma Huuskonen Finland. :D :D :D

Cappy

#8 Post by Cappy »

Getlibs works on debian again.

mikefreeman

#9 Post by mikefreeman »

When I run getlibs in Debian Lenny AMD64, I get the following:

mikeniki@Laptop:~$ getlibs -l svg_loader.so
svg_loader.so: librsvg2-common
The following i386 packages will be installed:
librsvg2-common
Continue [Y/n]? 
Downloading ...
Installing libraries ...
sudo: unable to resolve host Laptop
Any ideas? I've tried from my user account and from root with the exact same output. It's just not getting through this sudo resolve problem.

Thanks!

Cappy

#10 Post by Cappy »

sed -i 's/sudo//g' /usr/bin/getlibs
I think that is the correct syntax but I'm in a rush. In any case, simply remove the "sudo" off of the beginning of the lines, near the bottom of the script, if sudo isn't set up correctly.