Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Etch [Testing] Really Broken

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

Etch [Testing] Really Broken

#1 Post by Scotti »

I just downloaded CD1 iso of testing and tried to install on a VM. I left everything pretty much to default install settings. When it went to install "the rest of the system" (post config) there were unmet dependencies and aptitiude failed. I went to install x-server-system-core but couldn't because its dependencies failed due to their own dependency issues. In conclusion, Sid is really broken right now. I stick with Sarge, because it actually works.
Last edited by Scotti on 2005-12-19 01:32, edited 1 time in total.

jobezone

Re: Sid [Testing] Really Broken

#2 Post by jobezone »

dren wrote:I just downloaded CD1 iso of testing and tried to install on a VM. I left everything pretty much to default install settings. When it went to install "the rest of the system" (post config) there were unmet dependencies and aptitiude failed. I went to install x-server-system-core but couldn't because its dependencies failed due to their own dependency issues. In conclusion, Sid is really broken right now. I stick with Sarge, because it actually works.
Was it a netinstall CD? I think that for installing etch, you should probably got with one, so you automatically get the most recent packages from debian servers.
I installed a debian testing system last week using one, and it worked fine.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

#3 Post by Guest »

Maybe I did download the wrong iso?

I got it from exactly here: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl ... 86/iso-cd/

Ah my bad. I was calling testing "Sid", I meant Etch. I'll fix the thread title.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by Scotti »

Ah, that was my post above.

manny

#5 Post by manny »

damn... i was thinking of trying a netinstall. My etch (testing) has been working great since sarge release (except for missing k3b lately) but i installed it using the 1st iso sarge cd, choosing "desktop" and then apt-getting everything with etch/testing sources.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#6 Post by Scotti »

Actually I just grabbed the netinstall iso for Etch and it seems to be installing fine so far. Got it right here: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#7 Post by Scotti »

Exellante'. Good news, friends, that latest net-install iso worked fine and I have Gnome installed and everything. I guess I grabbed the right iso from the wrong place.

manny

#8 Post by manny »

Glad to hear that :wink:

paulvandenberg

#9 Post by paulvandenberg »

I tried installing from an Etch DVD a couple of weeks ago. The installer would only do automatic partitioning no matter what I answered. And then it borked my partition table. I then went back to Sarge. I guess if I want Etch, I should do a apt-get dist-upgrade after changing my repositories to Etch ones. I guess this is to be expected as Etch won't be stable for almost another year. I'm a little leary of trying Etch again too soon. I've been burned by Fedora too many times and am gun-shy of development stuff now. In my opinion, Fedora is Red Hat's 'testing'. Rawhide is Red Hat's 'Sid' and RHEL is Red Hat's 'stable'.

Paul

J Arcane

#10 Post by J Arcane »

I'm running testing at the moment, and so far the only problems I've had is that Kalarm completely broke with the upgrade to KDE 3.4.

Which frustrates me because that's what I'd been using to wake myself up in the morning.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#11 Post by Scotti »

I just dist-upgraded from Etch to Sid with no problems at all. :-) I didn't know that unstable gave you the latest and greatest app versions (Firefox 1.5, OOo 2, etc). I'm testing it all out in a VM. If all goes well I'll *redo* my machine with unstable. (I upgraded from stable to unstable once and it totally b0rked my system)

jobezone

#12 Post by jobezone »

dren wrote:I just dist-upgraded from Etch to Sid with no problems at all. :-) I didn't know that unstable gave you the latest and greatest app versions (Firefox 1.5, OOo 2, etc). I'm testing it all out in a VM. If all goes well I'll *redo* my machine with unstable. (I upgraded from stable to unstable once and it totally b0rked my system)
Yeah, I upgraded my unstable machine today, and was really surprised to get Firefox 1.5, the most recent version of amule,etc...
I'm still undecided on what I'll use on my laptop: Testing and get a system which won't have critical bugs and potential dependency problems, and not having to upgrade every day, or use unstable and get the newest and the best......
Arghhhh...
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

alecs1

really, really broken

#13 Post by alecs1 »

I cannot believe, after 1 year of good experiences with linux, that I may have to use windows when I wan't to do something serious
Too _many_ bugs in testing, 3 of the most nasty
-bold fonts in opera
-qmake broken
-anjuta broken
how can debian introduce bugs in packages that run ok from their "mother"
Excuse moi, but I don't have those in windows. And in windows I also have the games.
I upgrade now to sid, if don't get at least opera solved I may say bye to debian and apt-get upgrade.
Enjoy!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: really, really broken

#14 Post by Lavene »

alecs1 wrote:I cannot believe, after 1 year of good experiences with linux, that I may have to use windows when I wan't to do something serious
... snip ...
how can debian introduce bugs in packages that run ok from their "mother"
Excuse moi, but I don't have those in windows. And in windows I also have the games.
I upgrade now to sid, if don't get at least opera solved I may say bye to debian and apt-get upgrade.
I have three suggestions:

1) Use Debian Stable.
2) Use Windows
3) Read http://www.debian.org/devel/testing and learn about what testing is.

Tina :)

alecs1

Re: really, really broken

#15 Post by alecs1 »

Lavene wrote: 2) Use Windows
I will. :)

I have read the debian testing description, I was wrong about it.

You don't have to answer to this:
Does debian have a version for normal users?
Ok, I'm not a normal user, I know, but I did try debian stable first, and i couldn't get X work (...), and the packages in stable are rather old.
Enjoy!

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#16 Post by Jeroen »

Too old packages, and that's why you switch to Windows?

August 24, 2001 -- Windows XP released (latest windows version available)
July 19, 2002 -- Debian woody released (preview Debian stable release)
June 6, 2005 -- Debian sarge released (current Debian stable release)
December 2006 -- Projected release date of Debian etch (next Debian stable release)
January 2007 -- Projected release date of Windows Vista (next Windows release)

There can be any number of reasons to use Windows, and you're welcome to use whatever OS suits you best. But "Too old software"?!

It looks as if Debian stable is often old, because you know there are big developments in software included in it. Debian stable is not for those who want to run bleeding edge, but those who want to have a computer that works. If you want bleeding edge, you get some more bugs too, it's a tradeoff. In Debian, you have multiple choices w.r.t. how you make that tradeoff, because you can run either stable, testing, unstable, or any combination, or use sites like backports.org, etc.

alecs1

#17 Post by alecs1 »

i am back
i compiled qt 4.1 myself->qmake works
i dist-upgraded testing to unstable->opera works
and you missed my line where I said that debian stable (sarge) didn't gave me a desktop, it had problems starting X (asrock motherboard probably)
now this a bit o trolling:
-windows 2003 works out of box on my comp, debian sarge doesn't
-in windows I install opera, works, if I take the binaries from trolltech i believe they will work, if i install some game it will work
-in windows i don't have apt-get upgrade, but it's so easy to install whichever version of a software, so that solves much of the prolem of old software
etc

yet, with all those arguments, now I'm trolling from debian sid, that's why I think I'm not in my right mind
go patch debian, I don't wan't to waste your time anymore
Enjoy!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#18 Post by Lavene »

alecs1 wrote:... ...
go patch debian, I don't wan't to waste your time anymore
I'm running the risk of feeding a troll here but I'm just curious: Did you submit any bugreports about all your problems? Debian is very much a community effort you know, it's not magically apearing out of a fat company. The developers depends on user feedback... they can't fix bugs they don't know about.

I'm not going to engage in a Debian vs Windows discussion, but if you have problems you can ask for help here, most of them is probably easy to fix. If you suspect a bug submit a bugreport (it's real easy... just enter 'reportbug' at the commandline and you'll be guided through the process) and help making things better. If you just want to troll... well, I can't stop ya.

I, and pretty much everyone else on this forum I'm sure, don't give a rats a** about what OS you choose, but I kinda take offence when someone comes by and starts badmouthing things instead of actually do or say something constructive.

So again; if you want help we'll be glad to do what we can, if not... enjoy whatever OS you'll find suits your needs.

Oh... and no, I'm not a Debian developer.

alecs1

#19 Post by alecs1 »

yes, I did "reportbug" the bugs
I said what I wanted to say, so you're feeding no troll, cool if someone understands, cool if not; go patch debian was friendly advice to make it better (because I'm not the only one having troubles with etch)
Enjoy!