Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DVD releases

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Anteaus

DVD releases

#1 Post by Anteaus »

Request: If someone could figure-out why the DVD release of Etch (DVD1) always seems to have issues with missing or unrecognisable files, that really would be useful. I'd rate this as a priority.

The stock answer of 'Use the online repositories instead' is no use if the computers you're setting-up aren't permanently on a high-bandwidth connection. Not only that, but running a server with an OS for which no local copy exists seems more than slightly risky.

lemoicavalier

Re: DVD releases

#2 Post by lemoicavalier »

Anteaus wrote:Request: If someone could figure-out why the DVD release of Etch (DVD1) always seems to have issues with missing or unrecognisable files, that really would be useful. I'd rate this as a priority.

The stock answer of 'Use the online repositories instead' is no use if the computers you're setting-up aren't permanently on a high-bandwidth connection. Not only that, but running a server with an OS for which no local copy exists seems more than slightly risky.
The problem is at your end, I'd bet my bottom dollar on that!

A few suggestions, use the ones that apply to you (If any):
- Change to a different iso repository.
- Do not use download managers/accelerators.
- Try a different brand of DVD Media and/or burner.
- Do not burn your DVDs at a lower burning speed, let your software/burner decide on that.
- Checksum your images before burning them.
- Try a different DVD Burning application.
- If possible change the IDE/SCSI cables connected to your DVD device.

Those are only a few suggestions. The stable images are well tested and many users (Including myself) use them without a glitch :)
Debian Sid, Kernel 2.6.23.8, KDE 3.5.8
I have conquered the holy mountain horizontally!
LeMoi, He whose planet is Venus.

Pick2

#3 Post by Pick2 »

The Fat16 file system will only handle a 2 GigaByte file size , FAT32 has a 4 Gig Limit , People still try to download 4+ Gig files to them :)

Anteaus

#4 Post by Anteaus »

Pick2 wrote:The Fat16 file system will only handle a 2 GigaByte file size , FAT32 has a 4 Gig Limit , People still try to download 4+ Gig files to them :)
Yeah, I know, we're all as thick as two short planks... but if the .isos have been burned with K3b, from a Reiserfs partition, and with Nero, from an NTFS partition, with identical results? What then :lol:

.. and if the MD5s of the isos were checked before burning? :? In that case, it's hard to see how the downloading process can be at fault. The two DVD writers involved are heavily-used for making (verified) archives, and I'd soon know if they had a hardware problem.

An interesting point is that mounting the .isos directly into the filesystem overcomes the problem. All files are then accessible. So, the files are actually there, it's something to do with the DVD disc format.

Note that I've not tried downloading since the original post, might've been fixed in the meantime. Problems were apparent with 4.0 r0, and worse with 4.0 r1 DVD1.