Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Epson Stylus DX4050

Need help with peripherals or devices?
ghell

Epson Stylus DX4050

#1 Post by ghell »

Does anyone have any idea how to make the Epson Stylus DX4050 print (and, if possible, scan.. though I have no idea how scanning works on linux as I have only used scanning a few times in my life)? I expect DX4050 is close enough to DX4000 to be able treat them as the same thing, so any help getting either of these to work would probably be useful.

I'm running Lenny i386.

I have tried going to Epson's site and downloaded the linux drivers that turned out to be a small html file with links to Avasys but the closest I can get from there is "lite" DX4000 scan drivers only. I tried linuxprinting.org for the DX4050, which says the printer should work "perfectly" [there is also an entry in lower case, dx4050 that is listed as "paperweight" but as the DX4000 is listed as "mostly" I would say that whoever added that just had problems rather than it wasn't possible at all.] but the converted rpm seems to make no difference to the driver selection in gnome-cups-manager. The cupsys-driver-gutenprint package finds a lot of drivers (and detected an additional printer in the list, the EPSON USB MFP as well as the usual EPSON Stylus DX4000) but skips straight from DX3850 to DX4200 in the driver list.

When I use gutenprint I can submit pages to the printer queue (eg a test page) but they just get stuck in the queue as "stopped". Without gutenprint they seem to never even get put in the queue but I don't see any errors anywhere.

garrincha

#2 Post by garrincha »

Did you check the list of printer in CUPS properly? Or better yet try to find one that had been listed as similar and documented to work with DX4050?

I have an Epson Stylus DX4450, probably similar to yours as it's an all-in-on too. The upshot is that the scanner do not work yet but the printer worked fine though not near as good performance-wise as with a Windows driver. I had to use the DX3850 printer driver from guntenprint. See my trend:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Your scanner seems to have good support:
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/dri ... =any&v=&p=
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

ghell

#3 Post by ghell »

Do you mean the CUPS software or is there a list on some website somewhere?

I tried following your post before making a thread (I use the search feature before making a fool out of myself) to no avail.

I'm more interested in the printer than the scanner anyway. Getting the scanner to work would just be an added bonus.

garrincha

#4 Post by garrincha »

ghell wrote:Do you mean the CUPS software or is there a list on some website somewhere?
After you set up CUPS whether using Lavene's HOWTO or not, check http://localhost:631/admin admin page, and set up the printer, there is a pull-down list of printers and drivers and in my case there were at least two that worked IIRC listed as "Epson DX***" and "guntenprint ***". Both worked fine, I use mainly the guntenprint one.
I tried following your post before making a thread (I use the search feature before making a fool out of myself) to no avail.
Did you try the DX3850 driver as in my post? This should work even though yours' a DX4000 series while mine is a DX4400 and the latest series and possibility incompatible driver. If not try Gutenprint's Epson Stylus D68 driver as it seems to work for DX4050 in some googled posts including one in the link below.

FYI, see this trend on DX4050:
http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?26,86
Re: Epson DX4050
Posted by: ruena (IP Logged)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:23AM

I run the DX4050 with the
"Epson Stylus DX3850 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0"
driver under debian testing and cups

Seems to work well - I will now try to run the scanner
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

ghell

#5 Post by ghell »

Work has been a bit busy so I have just had time to get back to this.

Surprisingly enough, if I set exactly the same options from the CUPS web interface rather than the GNOME printer administration, it seems to work fine.