Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

crash on logoff/shutdown

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Tex-Twil

crash on logoff/shutdown

#1 Post by Tex-Twil »

Hello,
I have a Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18-5-686) distribution on my work PC and I have some problems with the X server.

The problem is that my pc hangs every time I try to restart X or to close the session or to shutdown the PC. I just can see a black screen or eventually the wallpaper but nothing happens. I can't even Ctrl+Alt+Fx to open a new shell.

I suspect the video card being the reason of this problem. I installed recently the drivers for it following this tutorial and everything worked fine !

According to this similar problem, it seems that the video drivers make troubles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: I will attach the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file which was created just after the crash.

Regards,
Tex

Issyer

#2 Post by Issyer »

Might be your card. It sounds like all that is happening in KDE. Have you tried ATI or VESA drivers? Have you tried Gnome or XFCE, or afterstep, fluxbox, etc?

EMD

#3 Post by EMD »

Keep us posted on what you find. I'm having a similar problem with Lenny on an old Compaq Presario 1215 laptop. (I had no problems with Etch however). Consistent with Issyer's observation, I use KDE.

In my case, the crashes occur when X needs to either close or restart (e.g. when I logout, hibernate or enter the console from the KDM login screen). When X crashes, I get a black screen and have to turn off the computer by pressing the power button. Also, in my case, the crashes are occasional. Sometimes it hibernates smoothly, sometimes it doesn't.

The Compaq is my backup computer, so I'll have to pull it out of the closet and play around until it crashes. When it does, I'll also post the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Thanks! It will be nice to compare notes.
- Eric

Tex-Twil

#4 Post by Tex-Twil »

ok here's my log file. Sorry that it's on megaupload, I'll put it on my http srv later :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1UFPOKPY

Tex-Twil

#5 Post by Tex-Twil »

Issyer wrote:Might be your card. It sounds like all that is happening in KDE. Have you tried ATI or VESA drivers? Have you tried Gnome or XFCE, or afterstep, fluxbox, etc?
Hi, I installed ATI drivers and I tried only KDE. There's nothing else that KDE on this PC.

Issyer

#6 Post by Issyer »

Tex-Twil wrote:Hi, I installed ATI drivers and I tried only KDE. There's nothing else that KDE on this PC.
Sweetie, you installed a proprietary AMD/ATI driver, but I say about the open source ATI one which goes with the distribution.

Tex-Twil

#7 Post by Tex-Twil »

Issyer wrote:
Tex-Twil wrote:Hi, I installed ATI drivers and I tried only KDE. There's nothing else that KDE on this PC.
Sweetie, you installed a proprietary AMD/ATI driver, but I say about the open source ATI one which goes with the distribution.
No I haven't. I'll have too look for a tutorial to do this ... sweetie ;)

Issyer

#8 Post by Issyer »

Tex-Twil wrote:No I haven't. I'll have too look for a tutorial to do this ... sweetie ;)
Oh my, and who told this, liar?
Tex-Twil wrote:I installed recently the drivers for it following this tutorial

Tex-Twil

#9 Post by Tex-Twil »

It was a misunderstanding! I did install them as described in this link !

EMD

#10 Post by EMD »

Hey Tex-Twil,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond. I think that the interactions between KDE and XScreensaver caused the problem with my computer.

Specifically, the XScreenSaver Manual describes a method of disabling Kscreensaver, which I followed. One of the steps in that method is to replace /usr/bin/kdesktop_lock with a script that calls xscreensaver-command -lock

When I upgraded to Lenny, the kdesktop_lock script was replaced by a binary.

After replacing the kdesktop_lock binary with the script, everything seems to work OK. I'm still testing it (so I may end up eating my words), but X still hasn't crashed.

Hope this helps,
- Eric

EMD

#11 Post by EMD »

edoviak wrote:... everything seems to work OK. I'm still testing it (so I may end up eating my words), but X still hasn't crashed.
OK! Time to eat my words!

The problem is XScreensaver. Even after replacing kdesktop_lock with the script it causes X to crash upon logout, hibernation and/or shutdown whenever an XScreensaver has run. (I would report this as a bug, but I don't know who to report it to. Debian? KDE? JWZ?)

I'm going to uninstall XScreensaver and then undo the configurations and see if I can logout "crash-lessly."

UPDATE: Got rid of XScreensaver. No more crashes! Yeah! :D

UPDATE #2: Nevermind. It just crashed again. :(

I've been testing and testing (by hibernating, ending sessions, restarting, etc.) The minute I thought everything was finally working perfectly, I logged out and it crashed. It's not crashing as often as it used to, but ...

Tex-Twil

#12 Post by Tex-Twil »

:(

gettons

#13 Post by gettons »

Hi folks,

I've the same problem with debian testing on XPS M1210.
But I use gnome, and this is really annoyng.
When I logoff from gnome, sometimes, i get a blank screen, and the only thing I can do is to power off the machine.

Issyer

#14 Post by Issyer »

gettons wrote:Hi folks,

I've the same problem with debian testing on XPS M1210.
But I use gnome, and this is really annoyng.
When I logoff from gnome, sometimes, i get a blank screen, and the only thing I can do is to power off the machine.
Gnome is a different thing. I had something similar myself. I solved it this way:
Put the following into /etc/gdm/gdm.conf :

Code: Select all

[daemon]
AlwaysRestartServer=true
RemoteGreeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter

[security]
AllowRoot=true

[xdmcp]

[gui]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]
[servers]
Or maybe you have something different.

gettons

#15 Post by gettons »

Thanks a lot, but I think it's not my case ( gdm ) because I disabled gdm from starting at boot.
Infact I suspect about gdm, so I gave rid of it, but the problem about crash still remains.

Issyer

#16 Post by Issyer »

gettons wrote:Thanks a lot, but I think it's not my case ( gdm ) because I disabled gdm from starting at boot.
Infact I suspect about gdm, so I gave rid of it, but the problem about crash still remains.
When X crashes, it's basically a card/driver issue. Try a different card or driver, if possible.

rkrisher

#17 Post by rkrisher »

I have had some good success adding:

Option "NoTrapSignals" "on"

in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I started seing the same problem when I upgraded to Debian lenny and the newest fglrx from ATI for my radeon xpress 200M.

Tex-Twil

#18 Post by Tex-Twil »

rkrisher wrote:I have had some good success adding:

Option "NoTrapSignals" "on"

in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I started seing the same problem when I upgraded to Debian lenny and the newest fglrx from ATI for my radeon xpress 200M.
Hi, in which section of the xorg.conf do you added it ß

Tex