Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

X-Window-system

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Herah

X-Window-system

#1 Post by Herah »

hi..

I need a command to shutdown the X-Window-System.. But not shutdown the hole system! :D

ThX :D

raju.mailinglists

Re: X-Window-system

#2 Post by raju.mailinglists »

Herah wrote:hi..

I need a command to shutdown the X-Window-System.. But not shutdown the hole system! :D

More info please. How are you starting X in the first place? startx/kdm/xdm/gdm ....?

As a side note, please dont post the same question with different titles (within a short time). It is quite irritating. I am talking about this thread and http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=3004

Herah

#3 Post by Herah »

raju.mailinglists wrote:
Herah wrote:hi..

More info please. How are you starting X in the first place? startx/kdm/xdm/gdm ....?

As a side note, please dont post the same question with different titles (within a short time). It is quite irritating. I am talking about this thread and http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=3004
I just used the command startx. and now i cant retrun to Konsole without x-Window-system

raju.mailinglists

#4 Post by raju.mailinglists »

Herah wrote:I just used the command startx. and now i cant retrun to Konsole without x-Window-system
If you are using startx, then simply logging out of the desktop environment should do. For example, if you are using KDE, just click on big K button -> Log out. After this, you should be at the command line prompt where you entered startx.

Herah

#5 Post by Herah »

hmm that dosent work hen i return to a Debian logon screen..

THX

#6 Post by Guest »

Maybe i should stop some kind of auto start. Because when i restart the system i also startes there.. But have??

raju.mailinglists

#7 Post by raju.mailinglists »

Herah wrote:hmm that dosent work hen i return to a Debian logon screen..

THX
If you return to text mode console login screen asking you to enter login and password then you have shutdown X. However this is not equivalent to shutting down the system completely. To shutdown the system completely, you need to run

shutdown -h now

Depending on your configuration this might or might not require root privileges.

#8 Post by Guest »

When in GUI, open a terminal, login as root, and change directory:
cd /etc/rc2.d

in rc2.d you will find a file S99gdm, which we shall rename as _S99gdm;
mv S99gdm _S99gdm

Now restart and login. To GUI, run "startx."

If you want to restore gdm (Gnome Display Manager,) rename _S99gdm back to S99gdm.

#9 Post by Guest »

Also, now, when in GUI, if you click logout, you will go back to terminal.
Or, instead of click, use: Ctrl,Alt,Backspace keys.

#10 Post by Guest »

Also, you need to know how to shutdown terminal CORRECTLY.
First, you need to be root.
Shutdown commands:

shutdown -h now (fast)
poweroff -f (very fast)

If you go to type poweroff, just type pow and hit tab key, linux will fill in the rest of the word because poweroff is the only command on the system which starts with those three letters.

pow (Tab) -f

shu (Tab) -f !

I think this is called intelligent software!!

Herah

#11 Post by Herah »

Thats not my problem nut it is good info.. ! :D

I am trying to install some drivers to my GFX card but it keep saying that i have to shut down KDE! But have i dosent say.! :(

#12 Post by Guest »

Also, understand these commands

http://www.andrewjchapman.co.uk/vi_editor.htm

#13 Post by Guest »

clear (Ctrl L)

Herah

#14 Post by Herah »

When shall i use ctrl L?? sorry for the truble

#15 Post by Guest »

And think about editing .bashrc (one in root, and one in /home/user I think,) to colorize terminal.

(Simply delete #
#
#
#
#

#16 Post by Guest »

I forgot this symbol
)

Herah

#17 Post by Herah »

THX

#18 Post by Guest »