Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Positioning a tower... is this a bad idea?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
flipjargendy

Positioning a tower... is this a bad idea?

#1 Post by flipjargendy »

I have a server set up in a closet, in a separate room of my apt. Attempting to save space I am using a small, homemade desk that I found in the dumpster room down stairs (not in the dumpster). The tower fit perfectly on its side in a small space where a keyboard could have gone.

Is this a bad idea, to lay the tower on its side? Can anyone forsee any problems I could run into? Share your experiences.

rogerdugans

#2 Post by rogerdugans »

Laying a tower on its side is generally fine- desktop cases and towers/mid/mini towers are pretty much the same internally.

BUT-

*Make sure the motherboard side is on the BOTTOM. Usually the right side of the case as it stands up. (This helps airflow and cooling.)
*Most optical drives can work fine either way, but some have little "arms" inside the tray that need to be pulled out to hold disks when mounted sideways. (If so, they will be easily visible right at the edge of where a disk sits on the tray. Only extend the lower two, of course.)

I would be more concerned about the small space you say the case fits in- make sure there is sufficient airflow around and through the case, or you may have overheating issues.
Watercooled, overclocked and running linux

LLigetfa

#3 Post by LLigetfa »

Old technology hard drives had issues with running on their side but that no longer holds true.

The only issue I've come across had to do with old technology 3/4 length cards that were not held in place and sagged over time shorting out to the card beneath it. That too is now a thing of the past.

Hmmm... I guess I dated myself. :oops:

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

Above are all good descriptions imo.
Also, if you have issues with an optical drive on it's side (not functioning) you can always upright the tower while using the optical drive than lay it on it's side again when finished.
Alternative, find a desktop case ( if you have a desktop mobo) or (a 1u or 2u server chassis if you have an EATX mobo) and rebuild the server, to save even more space.

flipjargendy

#5 Post by flipjargendy »

Thanks guys! I have got the little arms on my CD drive and all is well. I've had the computer in the closet for a few months now But it was not on it's side. I was worried about overheating problems but the computer stayed very cool, I was quite surprised.

I did not even think of setting the tower on the motherboard side.. However, I think it is on that side. It's good to know for the future... I'm going to take a look just to be sure.

Thanks again!