Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

editing files/ deleting them help??

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Telemachus

#21 Post by Telemachus »

rickh wrote:So, Telamachus, you're a "real" Debian user. Can you remember the last time you logged into a GUI as root? That kind of habit is for Ubuntu users.
Read more carefully, please. My post was a joke at the whole phrase "Real Debian user". I didn't claim to be such a thing, and in fact, I would never use the phrase myself.

As far as it goes, I've never logged into X as root - not sure why I would ever want to now that I've thought of it. But it doesn't seem like a particularly Ubuntu-ish thing to do - given that Ubuntu disables the root account by default.

The chest thumping is silly - that's my real point.
Last edited by Telemachus on 2007-11-16 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

#22 Post by 987687 »

What exactly is a "real debian user" anyway? Do you have to only use the CLI? Only when you are root? It is a really silly phrase because we all do things that others would consider not "real debian user" like. Maybe the only real debian user is the guy who started the project...
And for the note, by default you cannot log in as root with gdm or kdm anymore. You could on woody though, and I did when I first started using linux.
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

actionM

#23 Post by actionM »

I'm real and I use Debian. 8)
--------------------
Debian Lenny - Xfce4

llivv

#24 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

plugwash

#25 Post by plugwash »

JohnJ wrote:is there a way to login as root? like when I turn the machine on and it starts and goes to the login screen, is there a way to login as root?
Yes there is, it is just rather non obvious. Click configure the login manager, enter the root password. On one of the tabs you will find an option to "allow local system administrator login". Set that option, ok out of the configuration dialog box and then login as root.

JohnJ

#26 Post by JohnJ »

ahhh cool, thanks a bunch, anyway I'm lost at what ur all talkin about haha, all I understood was the word "real debian user" and I think that was it. I got lost on the whole your a real debian user if you dont you X or what not, I dont understand what your talkin bout lol.

Anyway so a "real debian user" would only use the terminal to configure and do there work? or are you saying somethin else? I'm lost cuz using the terminal is starting to get a lil easier now that I'm understanding it abit more and coming across a bunch of problems :D