Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Starting KDE from commandline

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
keller

Starting KDE from commandline

#1 Post by keller »

Hi

I have a Debian box, and have been running Gnome for over a year now. I have installed KDE to try it out, but it won't start.

I do not use xdm or gdm, so I usually start gnome with startx.

My problem is, how do I start KDE? I tried startkde, but it doesn't seem to connect to the x-server, do I need to initialize KDE first, and if so, how do I do that?

I can provide the error messages if needed...

Regards

Keller

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Rewrite the .xinitrc file in your home directory (or create it if it doesn't exists - note the leading dot!), and make sure it contains this single line:
exec startkde
After this, if you issue 'startx', it will run KDE.

Linux-N00b

Editor

#3 Post by Linux-N00b »

lacek wrote:Rewrite the .xinitrc file in your home directory (or create it if it doesn't exists - note the leading dot!), and make sure it contains this single line:
exec startkde
how do I edit files ? Im new too Linux as you can see hehe ;P. And I'm also having problems to get kde to start...So I thought this thread would do. You said Rewrite .xinitrc, but I can't find any editors in Command Prompt. One thing how do I download from apt-get when I don't have privileges.

//Newbie

Re: Editor

#4 Post by Guest »

Linux-N00b wrote:
lacek wrote:Rewrite the .xinitrc file in your home directory (or create it if it doesn't exists - note the leading dot!), and make sure it contains this single line:
exec startkde
how do I edit files ? Im new too Linux as you can see hehe ;P. And I'm also having problems to get kde to start...So I thought this thread would do. You said Rewrite .xinitrc, but I can't find any editors in Command Prompt. One more thing how do I download from apt-get when I don't have privileges.

//Newbie

adssse

#5 Post by adssse »

You can edit files in the terminal by navigating to where the file is and typing

Code: Select all

vi .xinitrc
This will open it in the vi editor. Once open hit the letter 'i' to enter interactive mode and type in the line as described. When you are done press the esc key and enter ':w' and hit enter. You should see this at the bottom of the screen and it should tell you that it has been saved. When you are done type ':q' to quit. You may need to be root to edit this file.

As far as using apt-get, if I understand your question correctly you must be root. Type

su
and than enter your root password to become root. Hope this helps.

Linux-N00b

thx

#6 Post by Linux-N00b »

adssse wrote:You can edit files in the terminal by navigating to where the file is and typing

vi .xinitrc
This will open it in the vi editor. Once open hit the letter 'i' to enter interactive mode and type in the line as described. When you are done press the esc key and enter ':w' and hit enter. You should see this at the bottom of the screen and it should tell you that it has been saved. When you are done type ':q' to quit. You may need to be root to edit this file.

As far as using apt-get, if I understand your question correctly you must be root. Type

su
and than enter your root password to become root. Hope this helps.
I will test this out, thx :)

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#7 Post by dnusinow »

The nano editor may prove easier than vi for getting started. I definitely recommend investing time learning vi and/or emacs though once you get moving.
David Nusinow

greenmeanie

#8 Post by greenmeanie »

I use nano much easier.