Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mouse frozen

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
erik

mouse frozen

#1 Post by erik »

Hi there,

i have a problem with my mouse. When I start X it keeps in de middle of the screen and I'm not able to move it. I remember deleting some software and updateing the system with synaptic, and the next reboot it didn't move any longer.
I am using Xorg and I believe I configured the xorg.conf file properly since I've used the information from 'mdetect' which says:

Code: Select all

Found the following devices:
   /dev/ttyS0
   /dev/psaux
   /dev/input/mouse0
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Protocol"      "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
EndSection
On some other forums I read about some conflict with 'gpm' so I've experimented by stopping en restarting gpm, with no effect. I don't know exactly what gpm is, the man file says it's een mouseserver for the console, but I don't see a mouse in the console either.
In windows the mouse does work so it's no hardware problem.

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance
Erik

erik

#2 Post by erik »

Please help me!! I'm still stuck here!!! I have no mouse and its's realy annoying! Now I have to use windows all the time and it bores me BIG time ;-).

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

Try adding these two lines:

Code: Select all

Option "Emulate3Buttons"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
You will need to restart the xserver for the changes to take effect.

My mouse uses /dev/input/mice
Although i also have the device file /dev/psaux
You might need to change the device

erik

#4 Post by erik »

many many thanks for the reply! Although I already tried those options, but I will try it again, you never know....

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#5 Post by dnusinow »

Just remove gpm. Just get rid of the package. After you do that, restart X and it should work fine.
David Nusinow

erik

#6 Post by erik »

thanks for the reply, but still no mouse...
I also read that 'cat /dev/psaux', or another possible mouse device, should give some output. That's not the case also...

john_h

#7 Post by john_h »

Have you tried running the xorg configuration again (dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, IIRC)? That includes detection/configuration of the mouse. With good luck and a following wind it may detect/configure it automatically.

erik

#8 Post by erik »

OK, the xorg configuration didn't detect the mouse, instead I had to pick one from a list. I've tried to 'cat' all the devices from the list and never got output...
When I boot I see something called 'hotplug' which detects a PS/2 mouse, maybe there is some conflict with it? But I don't know what hotplug is...
BTW what exactly do you mean by IIRC?

Harold

#9 Post by Harold »

If I Remember Correctly

john_h

#10 Post by john_h »

Sorry for the obscure geek-speak back there. ;)

You mention you're using xorg.conf. What version of Debian are you running (Sarge/Etch/Sid), and in particular which kernel are you using?

erik

#11 Post by erik »

Well, at least you remembered correctly :-).
I'm running the 2.6.12-1-686 kernel, en the testing release which is Sarge if I'm right...
I spoke to a guy from school and he was able to cat his mouse device, so I realy think the problem might have to do something with that... since I am not able to cat my mouse device...

dawgie

#12 Post by dawgie »

Maybe a module needs to be loaded.
Does
# modprobe psmouse
do anything?

erik

#13 Post by erik »

YEAH!!! You just made me VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!! The mouse works again, I can not believe it!!! Thank you so much! It's quite obvious if you think about it, but I haven't experimented with loading modules to much so it just didn't pop up in to my mind...
I was seriously thinking about re-installing debian again, but thats no way to treat Linux ofcourse...
Anyway, how can I make the startupscript to modprobe psmouse?

Many many thanks to everybody!!

dawgie

Re: ...

#14 Post by dawgie »

erik wrote:YEAH!!! You just made me VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!! The mouse works again, I can not believe it!!! Thank you so much! It's quite obvious if you think about it, but I haven't experimented with loading modules to much so it just didn't pop up in to my mind...
I was seriously thinking about re-installing debian again, but thats no way to treat Linux ofcourse...
Anyway, how can I make the startupscript to modprobe psmouse?

Many many thanks to everybody!!
Edit /etc/modules
add the line:
psmouse

I'm glad it worked!