Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

vi confusion

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
adssse

vi confusion

#1 Post by adssse »

I am having trouble using vi. When I use the backspace key in vi it gives me the error '^? isnt a vi command' at the bottom of the screen. I am not sure what to do about this. I typed

Code: Select all

stty -a
and found 'stty erase = ^?', but this seems right to me. I seem to remember on another distro I have seen this set to ^H or something like that. Should this be changed? Would installing and using vim as opposed to the older vi solve this problem. I would appreciate any help in resolving this matter as I use vi quite a bit.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

I'd strongly suggest using vim instead of vi. The older vi is quite... archaic, and fails a bit too often to behave correct on things like arrows/backspace/etc, etc. If vim shows the same problems, there indeed something else wrong, but for now, I guess it's vi being vi.

adssse

#3 Post by adssse »

Thank you for your response. I downloaded vim and the problem does not seem to exist.