Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Instant Messenger

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
twisted

Instant Messenger

#1 Post by twisted »

Hi guys, I am new to debian. I am trying to find an Instant Messenger. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?

adssse

#2 Post by adssse »

I really like gaim. It supports many different protocols and you can use it with any of the major im services such as yahoo, msn, jabber, irc and you can even use your google account (although you will have to configure some extra settings).

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

I use Kopete. Like Gaim it supports most of the popular protocols and it has prooven to be very stable.

Tina

PrawnJuice

#4 Post by PrawnJuice »

Kopete personally annoys the hell out of me. I prefer Gaim. Speaking of which, version 2 stable will be released soon... but not on Debian Sarge, unfortunately.
Prawn to be wild!

moonlight

#5 Post by moonlight »

Gaim a multi-protocol instant messaging client
Gaim is a modular Instant Messaging client capable of using AIM, ICQ,
Yahoo!, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu all at once.
It is written using GTK+ and is licensed under the GPL.

In fact Gaim is the standard IM client for the Gnome environment, Kopete for the KDE environment, ... however it's perfectly possible to use Gaim on a KDE desktop.

Myself, also I am running Gaim (on KDE) as 'the' instant messaging client. Besides this, I am also running Skype and Gizmo (a free sip client, now also connected with Google Talk (not yet available on Linux)); both can also be used as IM clients.

Tuipveus

#6 Post by Tuipveus »

I use Bitlbee, which is actually instant message gateway:
http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/news.html

Normally I use irc (ircnet), icq and msn but other protocols are also supported. My chat-client is irssi:
http://www.irssi.org

greenmeanie

#7 Post by greenmeanie »

Kopete for kde is great.

rono

#8 Post by rono »

Does any1 know any console version of instant messenger softwares awayvable?

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#9 Post by Scotti »

rono wrote:Does any1 know any console version of instant messenger softwares awayvable?
CenterICQ is a text based, multi protocol, IM client. Works well. :)

Code: Select all

# apt-get install centericq

#10 Post by Guest »

amsn for ex windoze users
new version also has webcam support
http://amsn.sourceforge.net/linux-downloads.php
or
deb ftp://boisson.homeip.net/sarge ./

sensovision

#11 Post by sensovision »

as was mentioned before GAIM is a great choice! But if you need only ICQ you may try licq, as e.g. for my it's work much better than GAIM since it let to choose any encoding for particular user which is essential when you talk with people not only in English but Russian, Ukrainian and Polish.
Denis

_FOCUS_

Re: Instant Messenger

#12 Post by _FOCUS_ »

twisted wrote:Hi guys, I am new to debian. I am trying to find an Instant Messenger. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction?
there is gaim very great messenger you can use ıcq yahoo msn in same window in saparated lists you can install it from synaptic pakege menager
click search and write gaim you can easyşly find and you like it very much
:idea: :idea: