Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Etch or Unstable

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Debian Etch or Unstable

#1 Post by newbie »

Hi!

I was SuSE user long time and than I did try Debian and now I have the Arch which is nice but in ten years my computer freez much less than now inone month on Arch.

My question is (I have cd with etch): is it possible to install Etch and than upgraded tu Unstable? Why? I like Xorg 7.0 and KDE 3.5.

Thanks,

Luc

adssse

#2 Post by adssse »

I believe you can. Should just be able to change your sources.list file and do a dist-upgrade.

dnusinow
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#3 Post by dnusinow »

Note that Xorg 7.0 isn't in unstable yet, but 6.9 is, which is identical code-wise but has a different build system. Work on getting 7.0 in to unstable is progressing.
David Nusinow

#4 Post by Guest »

dnusinow wrote:Note that Xorg 7.0 isn't in unstable yet, but 6.9 is, which is identical code-wise but has a different build system. Work on getting 7.0 in to unstable is progressing.
Thanks. I think on Saturday will be Debian on my computer. I haver one question more:

if I installed (I have cd with etch) just the base system is it possible that than I update(upgrade) to unstable, Xorg 6.9, KDE...? Is configuration for X like xorgconfig?
Thank you.

gareed

#5 Post by gareed »

To install my SID system, I downloaded a recent netinstall CD.

Then I used this link for a minimal install. Note that I did not install any packages other than the base system, then changed my sources.list to pull SID, and then started to install what I wanted. I also dist-upgraded and installed the SID kernel (linux-image-2.6.15-1-k7, etc.) early in the process before installing xorg.

If you have questions about upgrading your kernel, http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Debian_kernel_upgrade is a place to start.