Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ndiswrapper the easy Debian way...

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
josh821

#21 Post by josh821 »

hkoster1 wrote:The HOWTO should be followed "in order, without skipping a step"; those commands in Step 4 should be run with root privileges; the ndiswrapper module will load automatically when added to /etc/modules -- why am I repeating all of this? Learn to read carefully... :roll:
If you're just going to talk down to me then don't bother responding. I went back through every single step in order and entered those commands as root. I'm not stupid, don't talk to me like I am. After walking through every single step in order again those commands still did nothing and I don't even have an /etc/modules folder. The closest I have is an /etc/ndiswrapper folder.

I know it's easy to be an elitist jackass in a forum that's about helping people who are trying to learn to do things they're unfamiliar with but please resist the urge. Now, if anyone cares to actually help me out and not just try and boost their ego I will be much obliged.

hkoster1

#22 Post by hkoster1 »

josh821 wrote:
hkoster1 wrote:The HOWTO should be followed "in order, without skipping a step"; those commands in Step 4 should be run with root privileges; the ndiswrapper module will load automatically when added to /etc/modules -- why am I repeating all of this? Learn to read carefully... :roll:
If you're just going to talk down to me then don't bother responding. I went back through every single step in order and entered those commands as root. I'm not stupid, don't talk to me like I am. After walking through every single step in order again those commands still did nothing and I don't even have an /etc/modules folder. The closest I have is an /etc/ndiswrapper folder.

I know it's easy to be an elitist jackass in a forum that's about helping people who are trying to learn to do things they're unfamiliar with but please resist the urge. Now, if anyone cares to actually help me out and not just try and boost their ego I will be much obliged.
Well, don't get your dander up - after all, you did miss those m-a instructions the first time around... Now, I'm wondering what else you missed or didn't say in your first post, such as

1. The missing /etc/modules file -- every current Debian distro (Etch, Lenny, Sid) has one, so why isn't there one in your case? Are you actually running a Debian distro?

2. Not all wireless devices are supported by Ndiswrapper; the HOWTO says to check the Ndiswrapper site at SourceForge. Did you do that? If so, what was the result?

3. Are you perhaps running a 64-bit OS and trying to insert a 32-bit Windows driver into Ndiswrapper? Or the reverse? Which driver did you install in Ndiswrapper, and where did you get it?

We are trying to help here and we are patient with newcomers to Linux, at least as long as they are also willing to help themselves. And no, I don't think you're stupid as long as you don't think I'm clairvoyant... :wink:
Real Debian users don't do chat...

KF

#23 Post by KF »

I cant for the love of linux remember what m-a and a-i is.. Im sure it something that I will got; DOH for ... Could some one, please enlighten me?

Code: Select all

m-a prepare
m-a a-i ndiswrapper
-over

roadnottaken

#24 Post by roadnottaken »

/usr/bin/m-a is a symlink to /usr/bin/module-assistant, and a-i is an alias for auto-install.

KF

#25 Post by KF »

Thanks! Didint know that.. :oops:

enkoan

setup after install?

#26 Post by enkoan »

I did everything successful (I think, no errors). However,

ifconfig
does not show wlan0.
However,

dmesg
does show:

ndiswrapper: using IRQ 177
wlan0: vendor: ''
wlan0: ethernet device 00:1a:92:48:c8:8f using NDIS driver bcmwl5, 14E4:4311.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
Can anyone give me a clue on where to look to setup the wlan card now that I have the driver installed via ndiswrapper?

uBaLd

#27 Post by uBaLd »

:)
Last edited by uBaLd on 2010-08-02 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

uBaLd

#28 Post by uBaLd »

Last edited by uBaLd on 2010-08-02 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

uBaLd

#29 Post by uBaLd »

Last edited by uBaLd on 2010-08-02 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

hkoster1

#30 Post by hkoster1 »

This thread isn't supposed to be for support questions, especially when you're not even following the steps of the Howto... :roll:

But you might take another look at the output of "ndiswrapper -l", it shows that "alternate" drivers are present -- so some kind of confusion on account of the kernel is understandable, no? Two drivers fighting to control the same device? Check the Howto on what you're supposed to do in that case.

uBaLd

#31 Post by uBaLd »

Where is the howto ??

By the way is it normal that beafor installing my 2 drivers ther was nothing ??

Oh if I delete the driver alternative how i do that and where i find it ??
I tried

ndiswrapper -e ipw2200
Sory too not enderstand your help !

Other quertion ? Wath is the
loop
sbp2
in the /etc/modules file ???
It says above that you might ave too edit the file !!??? How ??

hkoster1

#32 Post by hkoster1 »

Where are the moderators, now that they're needed... :evil:

ouwe_man

#33 Post by ouwe_man »

Dear mr. Koster,

I understand your frustrations but I myself am a newbee and very often pulling out my hair. Since 1980 I have used all types of DOS, Pascal and others but getting older also seems to make you hesitate more.

At the very beginning of your excellent HowTo you mention that it works for kernel 2.6.24-1 but I have net installed and updated to version 2.6.18-6-686. Logic tells me that my kernel is older then the one you are talking about.

I have lost a lot of time in UBUNTU 8.04 and decided this afternoon to go to DEBIAN, mostly because of your HowTo....

My broadcom BCM4306 rev 3 is mounted on a Linksys WPC54BS pcmcia card and even the latest update for this driver seems to be the 3.100.64 (07/28/2005) and in the file they mention only 2K and less.

It is simple to try it out, blindly and see wat happens but i'm kind of tired of that.

Question: do you think your instructions will go for my setup?

Thanks
John Stap
1565 Calixa-Lavallee
Trois-Rivieres, QC
G8Y3G1 CANADA

hellfire[bg]

#34 Post by hellfire[bg] »

What about the issues with the ssb module? How can it be solved with kernel 2.6.25? On my laptop the ssb module is preventing ndiswrapper from working properly hoever i cannot just blacklist it because i need it for my b44 ethernet card.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

hkoster1

#35 Post by hkoster1 »

hellfire[bg] wrote:What about the issues with the ssb module? How can it be solved with kernel 2.6.25? On my laptop the ssb module is preventing ndiswrapper from working properly hoever i cannot just blacklist it because i need it for my b44 ethernet card.
It's a matter of the order in which these modules are loaded, item 5. in the Howto gives some hints on how to accomplish that. Don't know if it works with kernel 2.6.25, you're on your own here, but please report back here if you get it to work. Good luck!

hkoster1

#36 Post by hkoster1 »

ouwe_man wrote:Dear mr. Koster,
No need to be that formal here, old man...
...you mention that it works for kernel 2.6.24-1 but I have net installed and updated to version 2.6.18-6-686... My broadcom BCM4306 rev 3 is mounted on a Linksys WPC54BS pcmcia card and even the latest update for this driver seems to be the 3.100.64 (07/28/2005) and in the file they mention only 2K and less.
Question: do you think your instructions will go for my setup?
Wireless support is improving rapidly with each kernel version, and both b43 and b43legacy drivers are included in the 2.6.24 kernel, one of which will probably work in your case (you also need to install firmware). There have been several threads on that in these forums, the search function is your friend here.

Now, how to get the 2.6.24 kernel on your system? Easiest is to upgrade your stable version of Debian (Etch) to the testing version (Lenny), it is sufficiently stable in my opinion for newcomers to Debian like yourself. The current kernel in Lenny is indeed the 2.6.24 version. Another possibility is to check backports for the 2.6.24 kernel, or even download the 2.6.24 kernel sources from kernel.org and try and compile them yourself -- I don't actually recommend the latter to a newcomer.

When none of the above works you might consider installing the Windows driver in Ndiswrapper, as described in the Howto. The Win2K driver you mention should be OK for that purpose.

Please post in System Configuration if you have any further questions; post here if you find some new angle or omission not yet mentioned in the Howto. Good luck!

hellfire[bg]

#37 Post by hellfire[bg] »

It's a matter of the order in which these modules are loaded, item 5. in the Howto gives some hints on how to accomplish that. Don't know if it works with kernel 2.6.25, you're on your own here, but please report back here if you get it to work. Good luck!
I finally managed to get my wlan card working with kernel 2.6.25 (it worked fine until 2.6.23 but i could not get it work with 2.6.24). What i did: i blacklisted b43 and b43legacy, uninstalled b43-fwcutter, completely removed the previously installed ndiswrapper and rebooted into the 2.6.25 kernel, then i installed ndiswrapper using module-assistant, crated the /usr/local/bin/wireless script and put a line pointing to it in /etc/rc.local. After i rebooted my wireless worked just fine. I had to modify the wireless script to my needs though:
#!/bin/sh
rmmod b44 ssb ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44
I did this beacuse i have a broadcom ethernet card which actually causes the problems - it needs the ssb module and it conflicts with ndiswrapper. After that change my wlan card works. I have one question though - i read that kernel 2.6.25 was actually patched to solve the problem with ndiswrapper. Shouldn`t it work out of the box without hte need for such scripts? Also here is what network devices i have:
debian:/home/hellfire# lspci | grep Broadcom
06:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
06:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

ouwe_man

#38 Post by ouwe_man »

Mr. Koster,

Finally I seem to have everything in order, thanks to your HowTo.

One thing that I would ask you to consider: for some one who just installed Lenny, it was not clear why the command m-a was not recognized.... A lot of research brought me to the apt-get install module-assistant....... I know, everyone should look around but when you write "ndiswrapper the easy Debian way" it could be even easier by mentionning this little oversight...

For the rest nothing but thanks.

John

hkoster1

#39 Post by hkoster1 »

ouwe_man wrote:Mr. Koster,

Finally I seem to have everything in order, thanks to your HowTo.
Great, but please stop with the formality. My favourite internet joke is about a dog sitting behind a terminal saying: "On the internet nobody knows you're a dog". Let's keep it that way.
One thing that I would ask you to consider: for some one who just installed Lenny, it was not clear why the command m-a was not recognized.... A lot of research brought me to the apt-get install module-assistant....... I know, everyone should look around but when you write "ndiswrapper the easy Debian way" it could be even easier by mentionning this little oversight...
You're right, I added module-assistant to be installed. And I changed apt-get to aptitude, as real Debian users should.
For the rest nothing but thanks.

John
Thank you.

hellfire[bg]

#40 Post by hellfire[bg] »

BTW, it appears that ndiswrapper works with kernel 2.6.25-1 without the need for the wireless script described in the first page.