Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian server in Windows domain - not registering hostname

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
victorhooi

Debian server in Windows domain - not registering hostname

#1 Post by victorhooi »

heya,

I have a Linux Debian server running in a heterogeneous Windows environment.

The DHCP and DNS server are running on the Windows 2003 Small Business Server, which is in a AD domain.

Basically, the issue I'm having is that the dhclient on the debian box doesn't seem to be updating the DNS records and registering its hostname. I can't seem to access it by hostname, only by IP address.

hostname -f returns:

Code: Select all

proxy2.BWSRVR.CORP
I've tried adding hostname to /etc/network/interfaces:

iface lo inet loopback
       hostname proxy2.BWSRVR.CORP
but that didn't work.

I also tried using the hostname argument to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:

send host-name "proxy2";
but that also doesn't seem to help.

On the Windows server, under the DHCP snap-in, Properties, DNS, "Enable DNS dynamic updates..." is set to "Always dynamcially update DNS A and PTR records".

There is a mention of a FreeBSD box in a Windows network here and something about authentication, but I'm not sure if that's the problem here:

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1039453

Is there anything else I can check on the debian or Windows server to get it to register its hostname?

Thanks,
Victor

Absent Minded

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

have you installed SAMBA on the linux box?

victorhooi

#3 Post by victorhooi »

heya,

No, not as far as I know - is it required?

I've heard you can advertise via Winbind (although not quite sure on the configuration of that), I just thought that if there's a DHCP and a DNS server, it would do it via that?

Cheers,
Victor

Absent Minded

#4 Post by Absent Minded »

the only way that I am firmilyer with is setting up samba. It would be requierd if you want to use file sharing on your linux boxes with your windows boxes. Well unless you are going to use netware or something simular on your network.