Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Living with the Linux console. Only.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
anthony

#21 Post by anthony »

I have really learned a lot about the way debian works just by using xmonad as a window manager. It is a great environment for those who love cli and I have learned more about my system in the past 2 weeks than I have for the year I have been using debian. Also, a mouse Is completly optional.

Hevoos

#22 Post by Hevoos »

anthony wrote:I have really learned a lot about the way debian works just by using xmonad as a window manager. It is a great environment for those who love cli and I have learned more about my system in the past 2 weeks than I have for the year I have been using debian. Also, a mouse Is completly optional.
What is the difference between xmonad and Ion3 or Ratpoison? I've been looking at tiling WMs so it would be great to know the differences between some of them. ;)

anthony

#23 Post by anthony »

Out of my experience I would say that they are all quite similar but the reason I went with xmonad is because of the vast library of extentions it has and
because of the extensive amount of hacking/configuring that can be done. I have never tried ratpoison but the whole no mouse idea seems similar. The only thing about xmonad is that there is a lot that goes into it thus you have to install a lot of stuff (i.e. haskell) but its not a problem if you have a fair amount of space. All of the stuff you need is in sid BTW.

Bro.Tiag

#24 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Well I tryed, and was doing good, with just a cli install of Sid. I installed on Thursday, ran right through to Saturday till I ran insto deans e17 LiveCD.

Anyhow, once I finish playing with dean's e17 LiveCD I'll go back to it. I do have one question, for anyone who uses Mutt as their e-mail client. How can I get it to leave my messages on the server, yet not download every single one again when I check for new mail?

Cheers

qubodup

#25 Post by qubodup »

Wow, I spent quite some time looking for window managers, never found out about xmonad or ion3. There's also stumpwm.

Bro.Tiag: I red a bit about mutt yesterday. Seems to be an exclusive club.

saltmiser

#26 Post by saltmiser »

Last edited by saltmiser on 2022-05-29 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

garrincha

#27 Post by garrincha »

Extremely light WMs:

EvilWM
Ion
Ratpoison
PWM
LarsWM

Marginally light WMs:
FVWM
Blackbox
Fluxbox
Windowmaker
IceWM
Last edited by garrincha on 2008-03-27 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

roadnottaken

#28 Post by roadnottaken »

garrincha wrote:Fuxbox
That's fluxbox! Get it right!
BOFH excuse #191:

Just type 'mv * /dev/null'.

garrincha

#29 Post by garrincha »

roadnottaken wrote:
garrincha wrote:Fuxbox
That's fluxbox! Get it right!
Arrg, already corrected it...no need to be nit-picking. Obviously a typo and a bit of ageing eyesight. :lol:
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

edbarx

#30 Post by edbarx »

Although I fully acknowledge that the console is a very powerful interface mainly due to its simplicity, I don't think I can survive only with it. I need a graphical interface to use a computer efficiently. The problem with consoles/terminals is that one must know the commands. A GUI gets rid of that restriction.

Once, I had an idea of making consoles/terminals accessible to any computer user....
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Bro.Tiag

#31 Post by Bro.Tiag »

edbarx wrote:Although I fully acknowledge that the console is a very powerful interface mainly due to its simplicity, I don't think I can survive only with it. I need a graphical interface to use a computer efficiently. The problem with consoles/terminals is that one must know the commands. A GUI gets rid of that restriction.

Once, I had an idea of making consoles/terminals accessible to any computer user....
Having now played with my cli-only install for a week, I have found that the one limiting factor for me, is the internet. Aye, sure there are some fine console web browsers, but I'm just so used to the gui browsers that it has been a very hard transition. I also can not seem to get mutt to function the way I want.

Anything else I needed/wanted to do was of no difficulty, fun and a good learning experience.. I think I shall keep it installed, although I might just add x.org & iceweasel for when I need to do something with the internet.

Cheers

industrialpunk

#32 Post by industrialpunk »

I would just install a really light window manager like one of the *boxes (fluxbox, openbox, blackbox) You have super quick access to a cli from any terminal emulator and you can pop open iceweasel when you need to. Or - shock - view non-ascii images!
-Josh Willingham

Hevoos

#33 Post by Hevoos »

edbarx wrote:Although I fully acknowledge that the console is a very powerful interface mainly due to its simplicity, I don't think I can survive only with it. I need a graphical interface to use a computer efficiently. The problem with consoles/terminals is that one must know the commands. A GUI gets rid of that restriction.

That's why bash scripts were invented. Just write a script to do a specific task so that you don't have to remember it. ;)

Bro.Tiag

#34 Post by Bro.Tiag »

industrialpunk wrote:I would just install a really light window manager like one of the *boxes (fluxbox, openbox, blackbox) You have super quick access to a cli from any terminal emulator and you can pop open iceweasel when you need to. Or - shock - view non-ascii images!
Don't even need a window manager, x will run iceweasel by itself, when needed.

Cheers

DjBones

#35 Post by DjBones »

well, if your living in the console,
you can't live without the greatest game:
moon-buggy ;]

Hevoos

#36 Post by Hevoos »

Is there anyone who got the textmode quake/quakeII working? If so, how did you do it?