Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Good Programming Resources

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
shockuk

Good Programming Resources

#1 Post by shockuk »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any great tutorials/books for programming in linux?

I only have experience in Win32(BASIC), PHP, and a small amount of assembly.

I'd like to start learning how to create programs for Debian which are rich in graphics (GNOME GUI programming) and possibly even 3D graphics (OpenGL I guess). An easyish language would be nice, but I could always try powering my brain up for some C++ :)

Also, for Windows in the past Iv'e used a program called DarkBASIC Pro (http://www.thegamecreators.com) - it's a BASIC language that's geared towards creating 3D programs (unfortunately it relys on Win/DirectX). Is there anything similar out there for linux?

Just wondering how everyone here started off programming for Debian and what resources where used.

Spread Debian
Help spread the word!

#2 Post by Guest »

Python + pyopengl (if wanting graphics (3D))

is a good place to start.

Kaitlyn

#3 Post by Kaitlyn »

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by Scotti »

I went to school to learn programming. ;-)

Take a look at this web site featuring flash video tutorials. This guy isn't the best programmer but I think it's a good resource for learing some basic stuff in a few different languages. I've also found it great for quick refreshers.

I've just started playing around with Perl since we didn't cover that in school. So far it reminds me quite a bit of PHP.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#5 Post by Lavene »

I second Python if you want an 'easy' language with great potential. It's a geat 'hobby language' in my opinion with loads of good resources on the net. I'm just a hobby programmer my self and having a ball with Python.

Tina :)

john_h

#6 Post by john_h »

adssse

#7 Post by adssse »

Dren, just started learning perl myself. Have any recommendations for places on the web? I have been using the book Programming Perl 3rd Edition by Oreilly.

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#8 Post by Scotti »

adssse wrote:Dren, just started learning perl myself. Have any recommendations for places on the web? I have been using the book Programming Perl 3rd Edition by Oreilly.
Hey good for you. That's crazy I thought about going out and picking up that same book for myself. How is it?

The only page I've been reading so far is this massively long HTML page. It deals with an older version of Perl but for starting out it's fine.

Harold

#9 Post by Harold »

My humble opinion is that Elements of Programming with Perl is the best intro into that language.

adssse

#10 Post by adssse »

Programming Perl has been pretty good to me so far (just started so I havent gotten too far into it). It was recommended to me by someone I know that has using perl for years, thats why I picked it up.

Harold, thanks for your recomendation also.