Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Epiphany-webkit v.2.22 now in Sid

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rickh

Epiphany-webkit v.2.22 now in Sid

#1 Post by rickh »

... at least in AMD64 ... haven't checked 32-bit yet.
About We Browser
Web Browser 2.22.1.1
Lets you view web pages and find information on the internet.
Powered by WebKit
Looks good. Can't see Adblock tool, but it seems to be working. Can't change fonts in Preferences. Links embedded in posts don't work.

Does better on Acid2 and Acid3 than any other browser on my system.

It may be time to switch.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

benuski

#2 Post by benuski »

Its very nice... except for things like the flash plugin, which it doesn't do yet, I'm very very happy with it. Its probably going to take over as my mine browser, using epiphany-gecko when I need flash for something.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get flash to work iwth it yet?

El1iP3S01D

rickh

#3 Post by El1iP3S01D »

can i have the link to download Debian Sid amd64? :o
By the way, Ryoko my Turtle and Saleen s7 TT rule my world...:-p

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: rickh

#4 Post by mzilikazi »

El1iP3S01D wrote:can i have the link to download Debian Sid amd64? :o
Your question seems to ask where to get an image to install Debian but since this thread is about Epiphany I'll assume you want that instead.
Use apt or aptitude. ;)

Code: Select all

# apt-cache policy epiphany-webkit
epiphany-webkit:
  Installed: 2.22.1.1-1
  Candidate: 2.22.1.1-1
  Version table:
     2.22.2-1 0
          1 http://ftp.us.debian.org ../project/experimental/main Packages
 *** 2.22.1.1-1 0
        500 http://mirror.datafast.net.au testing/main Packages
        500 http://mirror.datafast.net.au unstable/main Packages
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

benuski

#5 Post by benuski »

Webkit 1.0 has been released and is in incoming, at least for amd64. According to Mike Hommey, the DD responsible for Webkit, its now much faster and has support for plugins!

And its in Epiphany now too. Its blazing fast, and has support for plugins too!

daengbo

#6 Post by daengbo »

benuski wrote:Webkit 1.0 has been released and is in incoming, at least for amd64. According to Mike Hommey, the DD responsible for Webkit, its now much faster and has support for plugins!

Sid or Lenny?

benuski

#7 Post by benuski »

daengbo wrote:
benuski wrote:Webkit 1.0 has been released and is in incoming, at least for amd64. According to Mike Hommey, the DD responsible for Webkit, its now much faster and has support for plugins!

Sid or Lenny?
Its in Sid right now, and it should get to Lenny soon unless the freeze prevents it. I can't remember what stage of it we're in, but I know its not the full freeze yet.

rickh

#8 Post by rickh »

Just got back home and tried the new version. Somewhat smoother and quicker ... no reversions, but none of my killer problems has been addressed....

I can't click on links from inside threads.
No "middle click" paste.
Can't change the fonts from Edit|Preferences.
Won't hold cookies.
Back arrow doesn't work right.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

rickh

#9 Post by rickh »

A quick revisit.

None of the killer problems I addressed in the previous post (except the back-arrow) have been completely fixed, but you can see progress.

Overall stability is improved, still way faster than the fat and flabby IceWeasel, even noticeably faster than Epiphany-gecko.
Still a slight problem on the Acid2 test, Acid1 and Acid3 remain perfect, though.

Right now on my 32-bit system which uses Flash, it crashes on some sites (even ones with simple Flash like LQ), but using Gnash it works everywhere.

The biggest kudo I have recently relates to a verbal/written argument I had with Comcast. Epiphany-gecko (with Gnash) quit working on their "pay online" page. IceWeasel still worked fine. I explained to them verbally (heated exchange) that I didn't want to mess with user agents, or use a different browser, I just wanted it to work like it had before. They maintained, of course, that if it worked with different browsers, then the problem was my browser, not their web page. That's BS, but beside the point. I'm sure they didn't like my written complaint any better, but they didn't respond, so, who knows?

I decided to try Epiphany-webkit and it worked fine, too, so I decided since that's my browser of the future, I'll quit harrassing them.

Supposedly, version 2.24 is the breakthrough ... I'm ready.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64