Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

is there anything easier than GIMP?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Bulkley

is there anything easier than GIMP?

#1 Post by Bulkley »

Is there any image program available easier to use than GIMP? I find GIMP impossible to use. So is Open Office Draw. Years ago, I had Corel Draw and couldn't use that either.

I want to alter some pictures of my house so that we can know what changes we want to make (before doing any damage). This would entail moving and re-sizing windows, Gables, etc. Are there any programs that are easy to use? Are there any house design programs for Linux? Any in the Debian repositories?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

I find GIMP impossible to use.
I could not disagree if you said difficult instead of impossible.

Have a look in this fine tutorial about GIMP and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

domecq

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

domecq wrote:I could not disagree if you said difficult instead of impossible.
Point taken. My problem is that absolutely nothing is intuitive. I have been plowing through instructions (the ones you posted and others) but find them hard to follow. Some users take to image manipulation like a duck to water, but I just sink. I was hoping that someone had built some plugins with some pre-designed house components that I could just move around as needed.

I am learning a bit, but so far I'd be better off with paper, pencil and scissors.

Carlosinfl

#4 Post by Carlosinfl »

I struggle with things like Photoshop but find Gimp very easy to use if you take 30 minutes to read over some material.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Carloswill wrote:I struggle with things like Photoshop but find Gimp very easy to use if you take 30 minutes to read over some material.
I have spent hours. Many years ago I actually took a course on Corel Draw. I flunked. :(

bluesdog

#6 Post by bluesdog »

I hated Corel Draw...

This apparently makes the GIMP interface more Photoshoppy. (Photoshopish?)

_FOCUS_

Re: is there anything easier than GIMP?

#7 Post by _FOCUS_ »

Bulkley wrote:Is there any image program available easier to use than GIMP? I find GIMP impossible to use. So is Open Office Draw. Years ago, I had Corel Draw and couldn't use that either.

I want to alter some pictures of my house so that we can know what changes we want to make (before doing any damage). This would entail moving and re-sizing windows, Gables, etc. Are there any programs that are easy to use? Are there any house design programs for Linux? Any in the Debian repositories?
in my opinion gimp is better than photoshop and if you know to use photoshop you can easyily use gimp but you can install photoshop via crossover pro from codeweaver

lacek

#8 Post by lacek »

There are a few image editors, but if you want to do complex image manipulation, you'll have make the Gimp your friend... To my knowledge, Gimp is "the" image editor for Linux.
You can search for more, however, maybe others will fit your need, depending on what do you want to do with your images. Use the "apt-cache" command to find image editors, like

Code: Select all

apt-cache search image editor
As for your other question, I think there is not any house designer program for Linux, at least I didn't see any when I needed one...