Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

updating for security via aptitude

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
y2kdis

updating for security via aptitude

#1 Post by y2kdis »

I'm not exactly familiar how debian deals with security updates/patches.
Does "apt-get update" automatically install these updates/patches? A debian user I met said that that's all he does to "maintain" his system.

Also, there are a number of items listed in the Security Packages of aptitude most of them pertaining to linux kernel image. Do I have to install all of them?

Bulkley

Re: updating for security via aptitude

#2 Post by Bulkley »

y2kdis wrote:Does "apt-get update" automatically install these updates/patches?
No. All "apt-get update" does is to update what your machine reads off the sources lists. What you want is "apt-get dist-upgrade". However, I'm assuming a lot. There is a proceedure for doing only security upgrades, if you would rather, but I forget the one-line instruction.

Do you have Synaptic? This is a GUI tool for those who want to look at what they are downloading.

y2kdis

#3 Post by y2kdis »

No I don't have Synaptic on my system. I'm trying to learn the CLI way so I opted out the desktop environment. The proceedure for doing only security upgrades, would you remember if it is via "apt"?

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

To do security updates, you need to have a line in your sources list pointing to Debian's security upgrades repository. For Debian Testing, the line looks like this:

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

y2kdis wrote:No I don't have Synaptic on my system. I'm trying to learn the CLI way so I opted out the desktop environment. The proceedure for doing only security upgrades, would you remember if it is via "apt"?
Yes. First go into your /etc/apt/sources list and comment out (put an # in front of) all the sources except security. Then do apt-get update and follow it with aptget upgrade. After doing this, set your sources list back to normal and do apt-get update again. There is a single line instruction for this but I can't find it.

y2kdis

#6 Post by y2kdis »

i have this line on my sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
i assume that it only allows for the fetching of security updates/patches, but where do these updates go? will they be installed automatically or are they the ones that get listed in the Security Packages section of the main page of aptitude and i have to install them manually by selecting and downloading them?

Harold

#7 Post by Harold »

su to root and do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. apt-get update will download a list of the lastest versions of all Debian packages. apt-get upgrade will examine all packages installed on your computer to determine if a newer version is available. If a newer version is available, apt-get upgrade will automatically download and install it.

Edit 1: Oops. I wrote update when I should have written upgrade.
Last edited by Harold on 2006-02-28 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Arawn

#8 Post by Arawn »

Harold wrote:su to root and do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. apt-get update will download a list of the lastest versions of all Debian packages. apt-get upgrade will examine all packages installed on your computer to determine if a newer version is available. If a newer version is available, apt-get update will automatically download and install it.
No, not automatically download and install when a new version is detected.
The question is put.