Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ed2k client

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kp

ed2k client

#1 Post by kp »

in general question is "what ed2k client is best[ for sarge]?"

i tried to compile mldonkey from source but couldn't even configure it (freeze on building dependencies)

tried to install it from unstable tree but got a lot of dependencies errors, at least 3 packages currently in stable are to old to install mldonkey

so i give up...

i want to use mldonkey because it can be installed as pure server for GUI and if somebody know how to install it or some alternative please answer
devil in the details

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

in general question is "what ed2k client is best[ for sarge]?"
If you google around you can find ed2k clients like this.
i tried to compile mldonkey from source but couldn't even configure it (freeze on building dependencies)

tried to install it from unstable tree but got a lot of dependencies errors, at least 3 packages currently in stable are to old to install mldonkey

so i give up...

i want to use mldonkey because it can be installed as pure server for GUI and if somebody know how to install it or some alternative please answer
If you give more information on the problems you had, someone could try to help you.

kp

#3 Post by kp »

when i ./configure sources of mldonkey it freezez with message:

Building dependencies (if it blocks, try 'make depend' to see the problem)

then i 'make depend' and it says:

I tools/zoggy -I +camlp4 -pp " pa_o.cmo pr_dump.cmo -loc loc" -a -o pa_zog.cma tools/zoggy/zog_types.ml tools/zoggy/zog_messages.ml tools/zoggy/zog_misc.ml tools/zoggy/pa_zog.ml
/bin/sh: line 1: I: command not found
make: [pa_zog.cma] Error 127 (ignored)
src/utils/lib/http_lexer.mll
make: execvp: src/utils/lib/http_lexer.mll: Permission denied
make: *** [src/utils/lib/http_lexer.ml] Error 127

what i have to do next... i cant even imagine
devil in the details

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

I looked in a few pages about mldonkey that I found from google and some people reported it's buggy in sarge (someone mentioned this bug: #279030).

When I come across something like this, I usually give up because, no matter how we succeed in installing a tar file or even an rpm package that was turning into a debian package, we might experience another problem ahead. Not to mention that mixing stable, testing and unstable is a source of trouble too.

So, with regards mldonkey, I drop here... sorry. :(

If you are not interested in alternatives, don't read further, and let's wait for someone else to give you a hand.

I was looking into other p2p alternatives for you and, if you're interested, there's (1) that ed2k gui. In this page you can find a package for sarge. Also, (2) kmldonkey, which can be found in official sarge repositories (although I didn't understand something about a "server" that would demand mlonkey again, but perhaps that server is just in case you want to setup one for you. I might be wrong...). And (3), Apollon, which is also in official repositories. I use this one and works real good. But the thing here is if there's a specific p2p protocol that you want. I know that Apollon allows, at least, gnutella, openft and fasttrack (aka kazaa).

kp

#5 Post by kp »

the point is i'm in local network with 1 linux(sarge) machine and all other is windows

i don't want to install eMule on each machine, just want something like ed2k or mldonkey that i can run under linux and use it over windows GUI because linux machine have no desktop manager

i've tried ed2k, it seems good but it's GUI is very poooor.. no statistic information no search filters...

mldonkey have good JAVA based gui but i cant install it :)

thank you for help, i will check out your suggestions
devil in the details