Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

INSTALLING ORACLE 9i UNDER DEBIAN

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jmanuelprada

INSTALLING ORACLE 9i UNDER DEBIAN

#1 Post by jmanuelprada »

Hello,

I am trying to install this db under Debian. I will explain the steps that I followed until the problem:
I downloaded the 3 .cpio files (ship_9204_linux_disk1.cpio, filesship_9204_linux_disk2.cpio and ship_9204_linux_disk3.cpio) and extracted into the Disk1, Disk2 and Disk3 folders.
I configured the system, adding the proper user (oracle) and groups (dba, oinstall and oracle)

I run the ./runInstaller from the Disk1 folder, but I get this error:

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError:
Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable."

The box is without X window because it is suppose to use it as DB server, my question is, how can I solve that error ? is posible install Oracle 9i without X window system installed ?

I case that it wouldn´t be possible install Oracle without x windows, how can I install/configure X windows ?

Thanks in advance for your comments (and sorry for my English)

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

Have a look at this post.

jmanuelprada

#3 Post by jmanuelprada »

Thanks, but I still having same problem.
In the doc assumes that you run ./Disk1/runInstaller and there isn´t any problem.
I tried configured the X system, but I'm not sure if I can because I need the hardware versions, and the box it´s arround 200 Km from here :).

the question is, is there any Oracle installation under Linux that not use the X window system?

Thanks in advance

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

Did you export the display as directed in the guide mentioned in that post?

jmanuelprada

#5 Post by jmanuelprada »

yes, I made the export DISPLAY=:0.0 before launch the installer.

thanks

lacek

#6 Post by lacek »

If you run the runInstaller script with the oracle user, and you run the desktop with an other user (which is probable), you need to run the

Code: Select all

xhost +local:
command in order to allow the oracle user to connect to the X server (you need to run it with your user, not with 'oracle', of course).