Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DPN ... Debian's "Summer of Code"

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rickh

DPN ... Debian's "Summer of Code"

#1 Post by rickh »

The new Debian Project News lists all the Debian projects that have been approved for Google's Summer of Code. One has to be suspicious of any organization as big and rich as Google, but the Summer of Code seems to provide a valuable service.

Anyway, as pointed out by JackieBrown on another thread, the most interesting one to me is:
Obey Arthur Liu is planning to create a GTK+ GUI for the package management tool Aptitude that will work alongside improved ncurses and command-line interfaces. This will offer a new interface design geared toward usability and advanced functionality.
While Aptitude doesn't need a GUI, at least it will be an improvement over programs like Synaptic which do not provide a terminal version for the more sophisticated users. Aptitude will, presumably, now offer a choice of interfaces between Terminal, Ncurses, and GUI.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

L_V

#2 Post by L_V »

Why GTK ?

gnome users can survive with synaptic.
Adept is currently dead in experimental mode.
There is now a real opportunity to develop a Qt layer on top of Aptitude.

rickh

#3 Post by rickh »

Why GTK ?
My guess would be that Gnome is still generally the higher priority and most-used desktop among Debian Developers. Once there is a dependable GTK interface, I'm sure it will be ported to Qt.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

rickh wrote:Gnome is still the most-used desktop among Debian Developers.
May be, but not sure Debian developers need a GUI for apt-get or aptitude.
The priority should then be managed by having a look on what is currently missing at user level.
I've never seen a gnome user complaining about synaptic, but I've seen KDE users complaining about lack of Adept or a better aptitude Qt upper layer.

sefk

#5 Post by sefk »

L_V wrote:
rickh wrote:Gnome is still the most-used desktop among Debian Developers.
May be, but not sure Debian developers need a GUI for apt-get or aptitude.
The priority should then be managed by having a look on what is currently missing at user level.
I've never seen a gnome user complaining about synaptic, but I've seen KDE users complaining about lack of Adept or a better aptitude Qt upper layer.
Well I'm one of the complainers.

I'm an aptitude guy. However, sometime I need some kind of GUI to find packages, so I have to use synaptic. And mixing both is not the best idea ever.

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

I also support the idea of having a GUI for Aptitude.

But if you just need and use it to find packages, you have no risk to harm your system with synaptic.
So no real problem or urgency for gnome. You can still install in command line.

At the opposite for KDE, if you want to avoid installation of 80MB of gnomish libraries just to easily find packages in GUI mode, you need to install adept-common and adept-manager from ubuntu. It works well, but not very clean for Debian users.
[currently using adept-common_2.1.3ubuntu25_all.deb + adept-manager_2.1.3ubuntu25_i386.deb in Lenny]

Ok, Kpackage is available, but also not based on Aptitude, and very heavy to load (don't know why). And mixing three tools for about the same use is not good. Better have a good one.

Now Adept is removed from Debian repositories, it is an opportunity to make a new Qt tool based on Aptitude, instead of spending time developing a new Adept which is apparently also not based on Aptitude (new Adept / dead in experimental mode).
In clear, try to put the effort where the real need is, because very very few gnome users are complaining about synaptic, and who generally love synaptic and will not accept to change it for ever. It would be perceived as a revolution in the gnome world which is not good.
Gnome users will then have synaptic in GTK, and a new Qt Aptitude GUI which could be ported in GTK at a next step (only if necessary and requested).

Ook

#7 Post by Ook »

sefk wrote: Well I'm one of the complainers.

I'm an aptitude guy. However, sometime I need some kind of GUI to find packages, so I have to use synaptic. And mixing both is not the best idea ever.
Synaptic is excellent occasionally for researching packages. Even if one knows search terms in aptitude--~ddescription, ~mmaintainer, etc.--one doesn't get the cross referenced, tabulated presentation that synaptic offers. It can be worth the wait on the gui.

I go back to aptitude for any action though, with clipboard notes if necessary.

The synaptic gui is the model for the aptitude gui according to the page of a guy who claims to be doing it for Summer of Code. I didn't bookmark it. Read it a month ago, and I don't even remember how I got there.

rickh

#8 Post by rickh »

The synaptic gui is the model for the aptitude gui according to the page of a guy who claims to be doing it for Summer of Code.
Six Impossible Things.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

Ook

#9 Post by Ook »

Thanks! That'll be worth a visit or two over the summer.

Telemachus

#10 Post by Telemachus »

A short post from Daniel Burrows on this: http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/blo ... rthur-liu/
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

drokmed

#11 Post by drokmed »

Three cheers for aptigui :)