Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Reconfigure xserver-xorg

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
VasileDZ

Reconfigure xserver-xorg

#1 Post by VasileDZ »

Currently when I do a dpkg-reconfigure xsever-xorg it only asks to enable frame buffer and configures the keyboard layout. Doesn't detect the video, monitor or mouse to configure it as well.
Using a Intel 82845G/GL Brooksdale-G/GE integrated rev01 on pci 00:02.0 and the monitor is only a old HP p1100.
Was thinking it was because I am using a minimal gnome setup but X windows is fully installed....

Thanks,
Vasile

AdrianTM

#2 Post by AdrianTM »

Vasile, welcome to the new world of "autuconfiguration", I bitched about it in a long thread... let me see if I can find it, here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=26487&start=0

Use "xrandr" to set the resolution, or install grandr and use it instead.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

VasileDZ

#3 Post by VasileDZ »

As for configuring the mouse and monitor, is that manually?

MeanDean

#4 Post by MeanDean »

First you need to be sure you have all the hardware detection packages installed then there are a few methods to use to try and configure X automagically.

I suggest the following packages: discover discover-data xresprobe dmidecode mdetect read-edid
The following packages may also be useful, if available: hwinfo hwdata kudzu

After installing the above packages perform the following methods as root:

method 0
dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
then try to start X

method 1
xdebconfigurator
dexconf

then try to start X

method 2
Xorg -configure
mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then try to start X

I suggest trying to start X as a user and as root just to verify that failure to start X isn't related to a certain account.

Hope this helps

AdrianTM

#5 Post by AdrianTM »

If you couldn't tell I hate autodetection, for some reason (probably some Sid upgrades) the computer decided to display again lower resolution. I had to disconnect the KVM, connect the monitor directly to the computer, and then do the method 1 described above. That worked, however when connected to KVM every autodetection fails miserable.

Absent Minded

#6 Post by Absent Minded »

I think autoconfiguration is great but there should still be a way to do the manual config when things wont auto detect/configure correctly... with out having to manually hack through the xorg.conf.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

AdrianTM

#7 Post by AdrianTM »

Absent Minded wrote:I think autoconfiguration is great but there should still be a way to do the manual config when things wont auto detect/configure correctly... with out having to manually hack through the xorg.conf.
Yep, very true especially that I tried with grandr and the needed resolution was not available and no matter how I edited xorg.conf -- added "1280x1024" Mode there) I still could not get the desired resolution. Luckily I had the idea to unplug the monitor from KVM, plug it directly and retry autodetection which worked this time.

Funny but I think that xorg.conf becomes irrelevant, this is how it looks now, there's another config file somewhere else because I don't think xorg.conf changed, but the resolution did.

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "i810"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Absent Minded

#8 Post by Absent Minded »

There must be another config but I am not sure where it is. If it was Win I would blaim it on the registry lol
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

ghostdawg

#9 Post by ghostdawg »

I was having trouble with small screen resolution. I had to manually modify xorg.conf to get a bigger resolution. This was a fresh install of lenny.

I don't understand why they making it autodetect and if it doesn't work, its hard to fix it. Using gnome, in the Screen Resolution applet, mine is blank, nothing in it to adjust.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Gomer_X

#10 Post by Gomer_X »

ghostdawg wrote:I don't understand why they making it autodetect and if it doesn't work, its hard to fix it.
I think in order to move Linux more into the mainstream they're trying to follow the Microsoft model. Keep all the details from the user and fail silently if you don't know what to do!

It makes life a lot easier. :lol:

fishtoprecords

#11 Post by fishtoprecords »

MeanDean wrote:First you need to be sure .... then
dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg.
Thank you so much. I've been pulling my hair out trying to do this.

I've been running Etch on a bunch of servers, all wonderful. I setup a new one, and used a nice LCD monitor for the install. Once I went to my not so nice monitor, it complained, and nothing would let me change it. Now all is wonderful

Thanks Again
Pat

MeanDean

#12 Post by MeanDean »

I'm happy that you're happy... :P

iamclueless

this is silly.. :)

#13 Post by iamclueless »

trying a minimal install of the latest testing netinstall

could not get the display right screen used 3/4.. then the other 1/4 started to show the beginning again

i tried all of the above steps, installing everything but kudzu (not in repo)

xrandr insisted i could only display a max of 800x600
xdebconfigurator detected the proper display

xorg.conf was nearly empty, only keyboard had any info... the rest was defaulted (i guess auto detected!)

next was going to try this: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... light=xorg

but decided to go with copying a xorg.conf from a live CD

popped in Mepis 7. cut and paste the xorg... and viola!
i get a populated xorg (comforting in that i have something to tweak if needed)! question is... will there be a need for all these packages i pulled in to try and autodetect my system??

vlad59

#14 Post by vlad59 »

I got the same problem, I use an old 17' CRT screen. And Xorg was not able to detect horizontal and vertical frequencies (none of the other tools were able to do so) -> 800x600 with 60Hz. I was forced to reboot under Windows get the informations and write them to Xorg.conf. That was a little deceiving.
Pinky and the brain forever. Howtos about Lenny, XFCE, ...

iamclueless

#15 Post by iamclueless »

annoying really. yup 800x600 according to xrandr

my concern really is what potential problems this cut and paste job might do in the future and whether or not i can safely remove the apps i added :)

the experts can let me know. thanks in advance

tushargokhale

#16 Post by tushargokhale »

The following method worked for me on my Intel 845 board.
At boot time I passed vga=791 to the kernel and it sorted out my display resolution as well as display problem. Earlier when i had changed my resolution it had stopped boting into GUI.

You need to try different modes like - vga=790, vga=788
find the best fit for your requirment.. and it may help