Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie to Debian (and Linux) needs help

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Georgia

Newbie to Debian (and Linux) needs help

#1 Post by Georgia »

Hello,
I think I need some help. I just installed Debian 3.0r2 (Woody) in the second partition of my disk but I do not know how to do these things:
1. Mount my cd-rw drive and the hda1 partition of my disk (FAT32). Typing mount /sr0 or mount /hda1 does not help, it says there is not such device.
2. Install fonds. I tryto use Koffice text editor and I need some special fonts, but I do not know how to install them
3. Configure my printer (Canon S100)
4. Configure my modem (Smart Link USB 56K modem).
5. Configure my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128). I tried to use alsaconf but I guess I am doing something wrong. Do I need to install any modules? (There are so many that I got confused; I have only installed alsa base, alsaconf and alsa-utils)
Because of those problems (especially the 3 first), I have to keep a MS Windows partition in my disk and I have to work with floppies and switch the operating systems every whenever I need to print something or to have access in my FAT drive (things were much easier with SuSe). And I cannot use internet to download drivers, because I only have internet when I work with MS Windows. The fact I have all the set of 7 cd's does not help as I am rather confused with all those pakcages.
If somebody could help me to fix these problems (mainly mount my drives and install the fonts), I would be grateful.
Thank you.

MarkvD

#2 Post by MarkvD »

Welome Georgia,

You have a lot of questions but we going to take them one at the time. OK you first:
1)Get in your terminal and type:

Code: Select all

$ dmesg
Somewhere in the listing you should see something like this:
  • hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
It could be a little different but you should see there's a CD-R/RW drive.

Do you see this?

#3 Post by Guest »

Hello
Thank you so much for answering.
With dmesg I see this:
hdc: RICOOH CD-R/RW MP7083A, ATAPI CDROM drive
(but I still have no clue on how to mount it)
:-)

MarkvD

#4 Post by MarkvD »

Copy your /etc/fstab file here please.

thewolfro

#5 Post by thewolfro »

you can install your sound card in 2 different ways:

1. try the command "modconf" and search for your driver at the sound section and install the module coresponding to your card.

2 you can download a new version of the kernel and compile it. at the sound section you can find your card.

for fonts you have to download the font style for your language (for example I use file .xmodmap.astiq_101 for romanian language). then copy this file to /home/youruser (if uou have one, else copy it to /root). then make "cd /home/youruser" and then try the command "xmodmap .yourfile" . where your file is the file you have jut download (in my case .xmodmap.astiq_101 )
Last edited by thewolfro on 2004-03-20 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Georgia

#6 Post by Georgia »

The /etc/fstab is:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/hda4 / ext2 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy auto user,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda2 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
Thank you for answering, Thewolfro. I will try modconf when I switch to Linux again. My internet connection is extremely slow to download anything.

thewolfro

#7 Post by thewolfro »

so if you want to mout your cdrom use command "mount /cdrom"

if you want to mount your hda partition on boot you have to enter a line in fstab something like this
/dev/hda1 /win vfat defaults 0 2
you can olso use athe command "mount /dev/hda1 /win"
you have to create the /win directory with "mkdir win"

if your hda1 partiton is ntfs you have to recompile the kernel to mount it

Georgia

#8 Post by Georgia »

Thank you very much, Thewolfro. I added two lines in fstab, for my hda1 and my second cdrom and I can access them both now.
Where do I download the font style? Actually,
I want to add some true type fonts I need to use. I tried to add them
in /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts and I still cannot use
them.
Ah, and modconf does not recognise any sound card or device, but that is not so important.
Thank you very very much for your help.

thewolfro

#9 Post by thewolfro »

i have searched with google for "Romanian keyboard" and i have found this site:http://bucovina.chem.tue.nl/tastatura/index-en.html . i have downloaded tehe file named " xmodmap PC101 US " into /home/myusername and then i used the command "xmodmap .xmodmap.astiq_101". then i've opend openoffice (it is some kind of microsoft office) and i started to write with romanian specific characters :)

thewolfro

#10 Post by thewolfro »

about the sound. please check in your /etc/modules file and search for the module you have inserted with "modconf". if it dows not exist enter it manually. i; experienced situations in witch modconf added the new module on the same line with another. and of course it doesn't work. you have to make a new line for each module

do you use the root account to check the sound?

you don't have to say 10x after each reply :lol: i hope that you will help another.