Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop and sever kernels?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
BioTube

Desktop and sever kernels?

#1 Post by BioTube »

Currently, Debian offers only a single kernel per arch. To rectify the differences between servers and desktops, this kernel's configured to 250 Hz and unpreemptable. However, this is very obviously biased towards servers but not quite perfect for them(as I understand, a server needs as small a Hz as possible). Therefore, I propose separate desktop and server kernels, with the server kernel completely optimized for a server while the desktop flavor configured for that(for example, 1000 Hz and completely preemptable, maybe with preemptable RCUs).

While I'm on the topic, the 686 kernel seems to be compiled with the optimizations set for the Pentium Pro - is there a reason for this?
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

AdrianTM

#2 Post by AdrianTM »

Therefore, I propose
Do you think anybody who takes decisions reads this forum?

Indeed, I usually compile kernel using "make oldconfig" and changing server options to desktop... I can't say that I've noticed any improvement though, but my computer is fairly new so 0.5% more or less is probably not noticeable.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

BioTube

#3 Post by BioTube »

I thought I'd get some feedback here.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Burnside

#4 Post by Burnside »

Sidux kernels are prempted (at least, the version I have installed is) and I do notice a slight performance boost vs. standard sid kernels. It's not a signifigant difference though.

Still, this could be worth a wishlist bug.

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

It's mostly a multitasking thing, like HyperThreading or SMP.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

AdrianTM wrote:Do you think anybody who takes decisions reads this forum?
[ot]
Actually, this section can serve a purpose. If we get a good discussion about something that relates to Debian development the thread can be brought to the developers attention on the relevant mailing list or in a bug report. Then they can take over and decide whether they want to run with the idea or not.
[/ot]