Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will Lenny release without NVIDIA?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rickh

#41 Post by rickh »

It seems that the latest nvidia source package has now landed in testing/Lenny,
Are you sure about that?
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

hkoster1

#42 Post by hkoster1 »

rickh wrote:
It seems that the latest nvidia source package has now landed in testing/Lenny,
Are you sure about that?
You're right... :oops: Reinstalled Lenny/Sid on newly-built desktop and on my laptop this past weekend (both use Nvidia graphics), but only installed Nvidia (from Sid) on the desktop so far... Ran

Code: Select all

apt-show-versions |grep unstable
on the laptop, and came to the wrong conclusion; will now install Nvidia (the Debian way, of course) on my laptop the moment I've posted this. Sorry for the false alarm.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

BioTube

#43 Post by BioTube »

The guy who compiles the kernel for Lenny's developed a Xen fetish.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

bartos

#44 Post by bartos »

AdrianTM wrote:What is the problem can't you install the driver from there: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Is really not that hard...
1. you need kernel headers installed and linked to /usr/src/linux
2. stop the X
3. run installer.

That's pretty much it.
I did a net install of beta 2 on Sept 3 the above worked for me also with a PNY 8600 GTS.
52841 frames in 5.0 seconds = 10568.107 FPS

mystery dance

#45 Post by mystery dance »

I prefer to do things "The Debian Way" and I prefer to have an unmixed system.... so I'm hoping there will be Nvidia drivers available in Lenny when it finally goes stable. I did a clean install of Lenny on a spare machine and I'm only gettting 800x600 with a Geforce 440. This does not make me happy.

Please don't tell me to change video cards. I have multiple computers with Nvidia cards in them.

I could move to Ubuntu... but Debian is cleaner. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

-Mystery Dance

Eck

#46 Post by Eck »

As long as you have an /etc/apt/apt.conf setup with the default release being testing you will only need the nvidia stuff from unstable installed with the t unstable switch after module assistant does its thing. I've been doing it and don't consider mine a mixed system. I'm all lenny except for that.

But don't worry. The modules are already all built as NVidia stands right now in Sid. Only a matter of time before it's all cleared and put into Lenny. There's some bug delaying it but from appearances it sure looks like they're working on getting it into Lenny.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

slowcoach

#47 Post by slowcoach »

Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.

rickh

#48 Post by rickh »

slowcoach wrote:Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's true. 64-bit kernels certainly had the "Xen error" before the Debian Nvidia drivers were fixed.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

lolanoob

#49 Post by lolanoob »

Lavene wrote:I have come up with a method that will, with 100% certainty, end all your Nvidia problems:
  • 1) Grab your Nvidia card
    2) Place the card on a hard, stable surface
    3) Grab a hammer
    4) Whack the Nvidia card with the hammer.
I'm seriously contemplating applying the above method to my own Nvidia hardware. Since I use laptops exclusively it might leave me without a computer all together but what the heck... I might even get a life...
AMEN! :twisted:

slowcoach

#50 Post by slowcoach »

rickh wrote:
slowcoach wrote:Just a mention that Xen is not enabled in the 64bit kernels. :D
I'm not sure, but I don't think that's true. 64-bit kernels certainly had the "Xen error" before the Debian Nvidia drivers were fixed.
I have been using the nVidia proprietary drivers originally with Etch and for the past few months with Lenny without problems, but what I remembered reading actually turned out to be referring to the vanilla AMD64 kernel which has no Xen support but has currently to be patched by the distributions to add Dom0 and DomU. This work is apparently being done upstream by the Fedora Dev's but is proving problematic at the moment, but obviously it will be sorted eventually and the the nVidia proprietary drivers will be borked, unless nVidia change their driver.
Hopefully everything will resolve eventually one way or another.
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.

rickh

#51 Post by rickh »

On my weekly full-upgrade to Sid this morning, I noticed that everything Nvidia got an upgrade to 173.14.09-5

I predict that will make it to Lenny within the next 10 days.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

Qoppa

#52 Post by Qoppa »

Wait, what's wrong with nVidia? My 9600 GT works fine with the drivers available from the nVidia site. It's not like it's a fatal flaw, and given that Debian isn't built for complete n00bs, having to get the drivers from a 3rd party website and then install them manually shouldn't really be that big of a deal. Sure, it's a bit inconvenient, but getting Debian to work with an nVidia card is far from impossible.

hkoster1

#53 Post by hkoster1 »

Wait, what's wrong with nVidia? My 9600 GT works fine with the drivers available from the Debian Sid repository. It's not like it's a fatal flaw, and given that Debian isn't built for complete n00bs, having to get the drivers from the Sid repository and then install them the Debian way shouldn't really be that big of a deal. Sure, it's a bit inconvenient, but getting Debian to work with an nVidia card is far from impossible.
Real Debian users don't do chat...

rickh

#54 Post by rickh »

Qoppa wrote:Wait, what's wrong with nVidia? My 9600 GT works fine with the drivers available from the nVidia site.
Depending on Nvidia to provide Debian drivers is like expecting the Democrats to be an improvement over the Republicans (or vice versa).
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

slowcoach

#55 Post by slowcoach »

Qoppa wrote:Wait, what's wrong with nVidia? My 9600 GT works fine with the drivers available from the nVidia site. It's not like it's a fatal flaw, and given that Debian isn't built for complete n00bs, having to get the drivers from a 3rd party website and then install them manually shouldn't really be that big of a deal. Sure, it's a bit inconvenient, but getting Debian to work with an nVidia card is far from impossible.
I think that the problem is that the 32bit kernel has now got Xen included which the nVidia drivers don't like and refuse to install until you recompile the kernel with the Xen flag switched off. I use the 64bit kernel (with Lenny) so I haven't actually had the problem myself but from what I have read I gather that this is the problem.
No doubt Microsoft is sponsoring Xen via Novell.

rickh

#56 Post by rickh »

I think that the problem is that the 32bit kernel has now got Xen included which the nVidia drivers don't like and refuse to install until you recompile the kernel with the Xen flag switched off.
You've said that before. I think you're wrong. I seriously doubt that there is a difference in the way kernels are compiled for 32 and 64-bit systems. The difference between the Nvidia scripts and Debian's is that Debian has debugged the drivers ... not changed the kernels.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

slowcoach

#57 Post by slowcoach »

rickh wrote: You've said that before. I think you're wrong. I seriously doubt that there is a difference in the way kernels are compiled for 32 and 64-bit systems. The difference between the Nvidia scripts and Debian's is that Debian has debugged the drivers ... not changed the kernels.
This is the link http://www.squad17.org/node/28 that a previous poster referred to regarding the error when compiling the nVidia module. Using the same nVidia file and kernel as mentioned in the article I never had the error using Lenny 64bit which is why I assumed that the 32bit and 64bit kernels had been built differently.

rickh

#58 Post by rickh »

I never had the error using Lenny 64bit which is why I assumed that the 32bit and 64bit kernels had been built differently.
At this point (4-30-2008), all Nvidia drivers, both 32 and 64-bit were broken.

At this point (5-26-2008), all Debian drivers were fixed and have been ever since. The kernel builds were not changed the Debian drivers were.

I don't know if the Nvidia scripts are fixed yet.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

slowcoach

#59 Post by slowcoach »

rickh wrote: I don't know if the Nvidia scripts are fixed yet.
I appear to have missed having problems with the nVidia drivers, mind you I think that the fastest cards used have been GeForce 6200, that may have something to do with it, although I always use the latest drivers.
I did an install last weekend for a friend using the Daily Build AMD64 net install and again had no problems with the nVidia driver installation.
I was just worried that someone would bring a 32bit system to have Debian installed and that they would have problems if they screwed up the system especially as there were no 3D Debian drivers in the Lenny repo's but now I see that the Debian drivers have arrived in the 64bit repo's so I presume that the 32bit drivers have been added as well.

daft

#60 Post by daft »

never had any problems with Sid and nvidia other than the normal Sid problems :roll: