Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian/Ubuntu the difference autoconfiguration of wireless

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
bruce64

Debian/Ubuntu the difference autoconfiguration of wireless

#1 Post by bruce64 »

Just a quick discussion/question about autoconfiguration of wireless. Some of the details -
main computer is Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Currently running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.
Wireless card is the unfortunate Broadcom 4318 AirForce 1g

Recently I wanted to change distributions moving to the parent distro Debian instead of Ubuntu. The reason for this is because of the huge repository of packages. The only issue that has been a show stopper for me is the configuration of wireless connection for my laptop. I used to run Fedora prior to Ubuntu but after the "upgrade to Fedora 8" which was miserable given there were packages not ready for that release. My wireless as with every upgrade of fedora was disabled. It takes a min of four days to get it back and running. Ubuntu on the other hand detected the firmware right away and after an install and reboot the wireless was up and running. So the question is this - while trying to install Etch the overall install went well, however we return to the issue of configuring wireless for the Broadcom. I'm guessing Etch does not detect this card because of the proprietary firmware? What is ultimately maddening - no fault of any distro, is the various possibilities for setting up your wireless. In the past I have both configured using ndiswrapper AND bcmxxx both time consuming and frustrating. I'm hoping that as I upgrade my own laptop at some point the configurations will become, for a lack of a better word, seamless!

infinitycircuit

#2 Post by infinitycircuit »

If you use the etchnhalf kernel (2.6.24) you will get access to the newer b43 driver, which should install flawlessly with b43-fwcutter. Even for Etch, bcm43xx-fwcutter should work for you.

bruce64

#3 Post by bruce64 »

infinitycircuit wrote:If you use the etchnhalf kernel (2.6.24) you will get access to the newer b43 driver, which should install flawlessly with b43-fwcutter. Even for Etch, bcm43xx-fwcutter should work for you.
Thanks for the heads up. With Lenny just around the corner, I can wait the next couple of days and give it a shot.