Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Vote for Lenny's new slogan

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
anticapitalista

#21 Post by anticapitalista »

Civil War hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Tubman

that calls for a
Debian slogan of:

"Freedom for all, Debian"

rickh

#22 Post by rickh »

Although the War of Northern Aggression had little or nothing to do with slavery, I would certainly vote for a Lenny slogan, or even an ongoing Stable Release slogan of "Freedom for All!"
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

BioTube

#23 Post by BioTube »

If we're going to take something from that era, let's at least give it a Debian bent: "Sic semper [however you say schedules in Latin]!"
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Ook

#24 Post by Ook »

Bio Tube wrote:"Sic semper [however you say schedules in Latin]!"
Thus always schedules?
rickh wrote:"Freedom for All!"
I can third that motion :!:

BioTube

#25 Post by BioTube »

Ook wrote:
Thus always schedules?
It's Latin. The 'to' is implied. Case in point
Caligula wrote:Oderint dum metuant.
That's normally translated to "Let them hate, so long as they fear". Latin's remarkably flexible, unlike the romance languages.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Zero

#26 Post by Zero »

kabniel wrote: "Ubuntu, I am your father"

LOL :P

GNU.Wasabi
Location: Still trying to figure out for what this field is...

#27 Post by GNU.Wasabi »

Don't some of you think that Lenny needs something flippy or better yet groovy? "The Universal Operating System" does indeed tell a lot about Debian and its character, but in my opinion it is just boring. In fact, I find most political topics boring as well unless they have something to do with me. Yes, I would go and strike about something as simple as having food prices drop because I am going to buy food pretty often anyway so why not get my ass up and use my right as a civil? Therefore it would be really good if Debian Lenny would have a "cool" slogan so it will give the image of being more open to new young people and those people are the most important in every project, because they are most likely eager to learn and develop things further. "The Universal Operating System" sounds like a group of men just in their 50s (no offense). But anyway in the end this is just my opinion, so who cares? I do.
Cheers, GNU.Wasabi

Telemachus

#28 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:
Ook wrote:
Thus always schedules?
That's normally translated to "Let them hate, so long as they fear". Latin's remarkably flexible, unlike the romance languages.
<putting on Latin teacher hat>
Huh? There's no "to" implied in "sic semper", which does in fact mean "thus always". In "Sic semper tyrannis" the implied "to" is in the dative "tyrannis". "Oderint dum metuant" is translated "Let them hate, so long as they fear" because that's precisely what it means. There's no flexibility involved. Latin is highly flexible in it's word order - much more so than modern Romance languages or English - but that doesn't amount to a general flexibility of meaning.
<removing Latin teacher hat>

More generally, why is anyone rising to Rickh's bait about the Civil War? He's just looking for attention. Ignore him.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

BioTube

#29 Post by BioTube »

Telemachus wrote:
BioTube wrote:
Ook wrote:Thus always schedules?
<putting on Latin teacher hat>
Huh? There's no "to" implied in "sic semper", which does in fact mean "thus always". In "Sic semper tyrannis" the implied "to" is in the dative "tyrannis".
I know. It's just simpler to call it implied since few people have any interest in the language.
"Oderint dum metuant" is translated "Let them hate, so long as they fear" because that's precisely what it means. There's no flexibility involved. Latin is highly flexible in it's word order - much more so than modern Romance languages or English - but that doesn't amount to a general flexibility of meaning.
By "flexible", I WAS referring to the word order(why would you think I was referring to meaning?).
More generally, why is anyone rising to Rickh's bait about the Civil War? He's just looking for attention. Ignore him.
Because it's fun. And Debian really does take the sic semper attitude to release dates.

Telemachus

#30 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:
Telemachus wrote:"Oderint dum metuant" is translated "Let them hate, so long as they fear" because that's precisely what it means. There's no flexibility involved. Latin is highly flexible in it's word order - much more so than modern Romance languages or English - but that doesn't amount to a general flexibility of meaning.
By "flexible", I WAS referring to the word order(why would you think I was referring to meaning?)
I didn't think you meant word order because the word order of "Oderint dum metuant" is exactly the same in Latin as in the equivalent English:

Oderint = Let them hate ("me" implied)
dum = provided that/so long as
metuant = they fear ("me" implied)

So what word order flexibility did you have in mind with that example?
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."

BioTube

#31 Post by BioTube »

Actually, I was getting at the lack of articles/prepositions/whatever you call them in Latin, due to the word endings.

Telemachus

#32 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:Actually, I was getting at the lack of articles/prepositions/whatever you call them in Latin, due to the word endings.
And last post you meant word order. Ok. I think you mean pronouns, btw, since there aren't any missing prepositions or articles.

BioTube

#33 Post by BioTube »

[Insert more backpedaling here]

cfurlin

#34 Post by cfurlin »

I'm thinking a quote from "Lenny" Bruce ;-)

How about:

"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone."

Cope57

#35 Post by Cope57 »

( o< -Penguins rule!
/ /\
V_/_
Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57

Lux

#36 Post by Lux »

I think the ideal slogan for Lenny would have been: "The Universal Operating System. When Freedom and Quality matters". Since that slogan wasn't available, I chose "The Universal Operating System".

The current results, after 2702 votes, are:

The Spiral Strikes Back! -- 13% (364)
The Universal Operating System -- 21% (574)
When code matters more than commercials -- 11% (291)
Free never looked so good -- 10% (273)
The universal operating system never looked so good! -- 2% (52)
We build it the right way -- 6% (162)
Wanna see new horizons? -- 4% (113)
See Freedom Work -- 13% (346)
One operating system. Infinite Freedom -- 20% (527)

I noticed that the Linux Outlaws podcast on November 15, 2008 appears to make fun of this poll by suggesting the slogan "Lick My Lenny". ( "Linux Outlaws"??? Does the name reflect their agreement with the claim that the Linux kernel violates 235 of Microsoft's patents? :P ) I kind of agree that not all the slogan suggestions are really that great.

Still, these kinds of polls are a nice way to call for community participation. A bit of advertising doesn't hurt Debian, but I think the advertising should concentrate on Debian's actual strengths: freedom and quality.
"Hit the philistines three times over the head with the Elisp reference manual."
-- Michael A. Petonic --

anxious

#37 Post by anxious »

Squeeze Lenny.
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein

khelben1979

#38 Post by khelben1979 »

I chose: When code matters more than commercials.

jheaton5

#39 Post by jheaton5 »

I voted for "The Spiral Strikes Back". My second choice was "One Operating System. Infinite Freedom". As of a few minutes ago, the "...Infinite Freedom" slogan is in the lead by a little over 100 votes.

julian67

#40 Post by julian67 »

I voted for the universal operating system cos it is.

But I'd have preferred something like:

Debian Lenny - Better Late Than Never. (English)

Debian Lenny - Tempus Fugit. (Latin)

Debian Lenny - Time Flies But X11 Crashes. (Geek)

Debian Lenny - Where The Bloody Hell Have You Been? (Australian)

(all jokes gratefully received from the rest home and hospice for old jokes)
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"