Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A generation gap or a coup attempt in the DD community?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
rickh

A generation gap or a coup attempt in the DD community?

#1 Post by rickh »

A lot of heavy hitters are weighing in on this announcement:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00005.html

...and it's not on lists that no one sees. It's taking place on well written, thoughtful blogs that will eventually be picked up by the Tech media. It appears to be the sort of thing that delays releases (Lenny?). Here's the current collection; I'm sure there will be more.

http://blog.technologeek.org/
http://blog.rastageeks.org/
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/
http://www.braincells.com/debian/index. ... h/item=207
http://xana.scru.org/xana2/

My title question refers to the fact that old well-known DDs seem to be lining up against younger, ambitious ones. Is that a fair statement? If so, I support the old guys.

Edit: Changed the links to chronological order.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

infinitycircuit

#2 Post by infinitycircuit »

I think Joey's blog post sums it up very well.

Nebulous "we" statements that don't clarify who made the decision are not conducive to success.

#debian-devel was a mess when this email went out...lots of people questioning where it came from, if it was policy or a suggestion, etc. Clint brought up the interesting point that it seems sort of strange to have non-maintaining members have a vote.

rickh

#3 Post by rickh »

Here's the current collection; I'm sure there will be more.
Sure enough. Planet Debian is loaded down with it today.

With a little more perspective, I see that my suggestion that it pitted new against old DDs was off base. and the coup analogy was closer. At least some kind of power play.

The mistake appears to be similar to dunc-tank, in that people who made a quick and controversial decision are too interested in digging in to defend it rather than backing off and allowing cooler heads to prevail.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

hkoster1

#4 Post by hkoster1 »

A generational conflict, no less? My, what egos these people have... That said, this Joerg Jaspert guy should have known that his initial message was going to raise hackles, completely obscuring its content (which doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me). Meanwhile, let's enjoy this little dust-up...
Real Debian users don't do chat...

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

Between Linux's politics and fanboyz, I find the BSDs more attractive every day. In fact, FreeBSD has been my favorite OS for a year now.

I figure that this thread will be up to three, no, FOUR pages by this time tomorrow, 'cause da fanboyz on these forums are completely, totally, HELPLESSLY incapable of ignoring this post. And you l33t Linux users know who u r!

/me rolls on the floor laughing at you lusers who have crashed your 'puters trying to run mixed systems and/or install proprietary video drivers.

I think, when I get home tonight, I'll sit back and watch my non-GPL operating system effortlessly build something huge from ports. What shall it be? Oh, I know. Openoffice 3 has been released! Shouldn't take more than six hours. I better stop on the way and get some Leinenkugel.

BioTube

#6 Post by BioTube »

There really ought to be a standard interface so that Linux and BSD can share unmodified drivers with a mere recompile.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

vmclark

#7 Post by vmclark »

Harold wrote:Between Linux's politics and fanboyz, I find the BSDs more attractive every day. In fact, FreeBSD has been my favorite OS for a year now.
I also find BSD attractive every time I use. The problem is finding online communications. It's as though they talk by some others means. Maybe irc chat. I'm not sure. They keep coming up with great new releases, it's just hard to find a good community, to communicate with.

BioTube

#8 Post by BioTube »

The beta release could use some work - the discs(at least when I tried) were woefully incomplete.

I know! I know! Debian BSD!
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

rickh

#9 Post by rickh »

It's taking place on well written, thoughtful blogs that will eventually be picked up by the Tech media.
Sure enough, the tech media found it.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

Jackiebrown

#10 Post by Jackiebrown »

I saw that.

They look silly posting links to messages from September and October as if it just happened.

anxious

#11 Post by anxious »

Reluctance to change or even the thought of it. Too bad.
For an idea that does not at first seem insane, there is no hope - Albert Einstein