Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I cannot install flash player 10 in iceweasel?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
lego

I cannot install flash player 10 in iceweasel?

#1 Post by lego »

I don't understand what I am missing...

I want to install the flashplugin for iceweasel. I have done it several times, but it's my first time with the flash player 10:

I go to adobe's downloads site, and I download the .tar.gz file. Extract, and cd into the new directory... and

$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/

no results!

$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so ~./mozilla/plugins/

no results!

$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/iceweasel/

no results!

I also tried to run the installer.. no good news.. I also downloaded the .deb file from adobe... I cannot install the flash plugin!!
It has the correct permissions.. what am I missing??

Thank you for the help!

BioTube

#2 Post by BioTube »

You need it in your home folder, last I checked. chown the copy you put there to your user - there's no reason to put it there as root.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

#3 Post by 987687 »

I always install flash in 4 easy steps
1. download it from adobe site
2. tar xf installFlashPlayer.tar.gz (or whatever it is called)
3. cd to the folder it extracted to
4. cp libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

you may have to create ~/.mozilla/plugins/ if it doesn't already exist.

DONE, flash works
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

#4 Post by 987687 »

NOTE: it seems you have already copied libflashplayer.so to the plugins folder. Use root to delete that first. Otherwise you are apt to get permission errors.

lego

#5 Post by lego »

I have done the following:
- A brand new installation of debian.
# aptitude install iceweasel ...

Ok, I download the .tar.gz file from adobe, and:
$ tar -xzvf installflashplayer.tar.gz
$ cd installflashplayer
$ cp libflashplayer.so ~./mozilla/plugins/

I restart iceweasel, and in the navigation toolbar I type:
about:plugins.
...No plugins installed!!

The file libflashplayer.so has the right permissions.

I have done many succesful installations of the flash player before, but never for the flash player 10. I don't know if this is a bug, or I am missing something really strange.
Please help!

#6 Post by 987687 »

go to ~/.mozilla and check that the folder plugins actually exists. On fresh installs it usually doesn't

lego

#7 Post by lego »

Thats true, I also did

$ mkdir ~.mozilla/plugins

in the above steps.

Do you have flash player 10 installed? No? please try to do the following:

$ mv /path-to-plugins/libflashplayer.so /path-to-plugins/libflashplayer.so~

and then install the flash player 10.
Can you tell me if you are sucessful installing flash player 10?

Aerial

#8 Post by Aerial »

I just installed it :D

What I did is:
download Flash Player 10 from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
in a terminal: #cd **location where you downloaded it**
tar xvzf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins
and then open flashplayer-installer (double clic on the icon or launch from a terminal)
don't forget to close iceweasel before installing :wink:
Now I can watch Youtube's videos :wink:

#9 Post by 987687 »

lego wrote: Do you have flash player 10 installed? No? please try to do the following:

$ mv /path-to-plugins/libflashplayer.so /path-to-plugins/libflashplayer.so~

and then install the flash player 10.
Can you tell me if you are sucessful installing flash player 10?
Just did that,
rm -fr .mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
restart firefox, flash obviously didn't work.
download it again
followed the steps I mentioned above
restart FF, it works.

For the note, I installed flash player 10 in iceweasel last week and it worked. I have since upgraded to minefield 3.1b2pre, but nothing with flash changed in the upgrade process.

lego

#10 Post by lego »

It's really strange...
I still can't get it to work. I've tried all the installation methods: just copying the libflasplayer.so file, launching the flashplayer-installer script, the .deb file available,...
I opened the flashplayer-installer script with my editor to see in detail what it does, but essentially if firefox is your default browser it just creates the directory ~/.mozilla/plugins (if it didn't already exists) and cp libflashplayer.so.
I have tried to copy the file both in ~/.mozilla/plugins and in /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins, and no results until now.

I use a 32 bit computer, with debian 4.0 r5, iceweasel 2.0.017 and fluxbox 0.9.14.

#11 Post by 987687 »

lego wrote:I use a 32 bit computer, with debian 4.0 r5, iceweasel 2.0.017 and fluxbox 0.9.14.
I was just about to ask if you were using 32 bit or not. iceweasel 2, that may be the cause. I was doing it with iceweasel 3 because I use lenny. If iceweasel 3 is in backports you could try using that, it should fix your issue.

lego

#12 Post by lego »

Thank you for your patience, I think probably is some iceweasel problem.
I could try to get iceweasel 3 from the backports.. but also I like to have my system "purely stable".
If I don't find any answer in a week, I'll install the iceweasel 3 version from backports.

#13 Post by 987687 »

lego wrote:Thank you for your patience, I think probably is some iceweasel problem.
I could try to get iceweasel 3 from the backports.. but also I like to have my system "purely stable".
If I don't find any answer in a week, I'll install the iceweasel 3 version from backports.
iceweasel 3 is stable, and has been for a while because firefox 3 has been stable for a while. iceweasel 2 is just slow and outdated. But if you want flash on iceweasel 2 you can always use flash 9 which works just fine. If you can't find it anywhere online I bet I still have the installer somewhere, I could email it to you or something.

Eck

#14 Post by Eck »

The debian-multimedia.org lenny repo has Adobe Flash 10 now. Their flashplayer-mozilla package installs everything needed automatically. Of course if you want to stay all Etch (Debian Stable) then that wouldn't be the way to go I guess. But even then, as long as that package doesn't have any dependencies upon anything else in lenny (Debian Testing), you could install just that package then comment out the repo.
Lenovo z560 Laptop Nvidia GeForce 310m Hitachi 500GB HD Intel HD Audio 4GB RAM

craigevil

#15 Post by craigevil »

There should be a giant RED flashing warning when someone installs stable on a desktop.

"This is a stable release made for servers, if you want bleeding edge programs you need to run testing or Unstable. If not having shiny new apps is OK please click Accept."

99% of the bitching and problems you see concerning stable are about people that want shiny new apps.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

lego

#16 Post by lego »

I don't want new applications, I just want a flash player. I tried with flash player 10 because it's the only one I can get from adobe, but for me with 7,8, or 9 would be ok.

The problem is that now I cannot get the old flash players, only the 10th, and one or two years ago I did something like apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree, nowadays I cannot do it.

I tried to upgrade to lenny, but I got dependency problems:
$ aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade
(...blablabla...The score is -337...)

bugsbunny

#17 Post by bugsbunny »

you can get it from etch backports:
http://packages.debian.org/etch-backpor ... in-nonfree

lego

#18 Post by lego »

Finally I got flash 9 from backports and it works!!
The only conclusion I got from this post is that it's not possible to use flash player 10 in iceweasel 2..

But now my system is ok!
Thank you to all!

#19 Post by 987687 »

lego wrote:Finally I got flash 9 from backports and it works!!
The only conclusion I got from this post is that it's not possible to use flash player 10 in iceweasel 2..

But now my system is ok!
Thank you to all!
Well, new ya know, if someone else has the question you will be all over it :D

redchair

#20 Post by redchair »

I have been having the same problem with installing Adobe Flash Player 10 on an etch system. I use Firefox 2.0.0.18 as downloaded directly from Mozilla. I have always used the .tar.gz method and copied the libflashplayer.so file directly to my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory up until the last version of Flash Player 9 with success. Success is defined as having Flash Player appear in about:plugins, and being able to play flash content such as Youtube.

It is important to note that Flash Player 10 is detected by Firefox but doesn't load as a plugin. The only evidence that the plugin is detected is that the browser adds the following entry and value to the about:config list; trying to reset the value does not work until Flash Plugin 10 is removed from the plugins directory and firefox is restarted:
user_pref("plugin.soname.list", "libXt.so:libXext.so");

I have found some clues on google that an "updated system" is necessary for success with Flash Player 10, and it may be related to needing libgtk2.1 (I currently have libgtk2.0). My system is a 32 bit system with all 32 bit applications.

I would like to request that a few other people post with the output of the hash below to make sure we are all using the same "broken" version of Flash Player 10.
$ openssl dgst -sha1 install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
SHA1(install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz)= 3590bf257b5d20b23f1668b1b789595d452db039
Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.12.36
.tar.gz for Linux (x86) | 3.7MB

Posts with people trying to install flash 10 on etch using the .tar.gz and copy libflashplayer.so method.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... etch+flash
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... etch+flash