Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
teejay

#121 Post by teejay »

neonl wrote:Well, you can just try this to install from the original CVS' sources. It works, I tested it (at least in Etch).

What as I'm going to post was taken from a HOWTO in the ubuntuforums, but it works as well in debian.

So:
  • What's the advantage from compile from cvs source?

- You can be as updated as you wish,
    - You can be as outdated as you wish (using the date option of cvs you can go back to any specific date you want... search for specific features or avoid a broken version)
    - You will have everything installed on /opt/ directory. That's the correct location for testing/beta software. It will not mix libs and apps from enlightenment with your system. It's easier to clean and make backups or even run different versions side by side.
    - You can set your own compile options.
-----------------------------------------------
  • 1. Getting the compiling tools. I don't know exactly if these are needed in Debian, in Ubuntu you need them to compile but I installed them and it worked:

Code: Select all

aptitude install build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev libxine-dev libxkbfile-dev libsqlite3-dev giblib-dev libxmu-dev libxdamage-dev libxcomposite-dev libtag1-dev libtagc0-dev giblib-dev libasound2-dev libxslt-dev libpam0g-dev libdbus-1-dev
    2. Getting the install script. Now you must get the script that will download/compile/install e17. Thanks to Morlenxus for this great tool.

cd ~ 
    wget http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/easy_e17/easy_e17.sh
    and make it executable running:

chmod +x easy_e17.sh
    3. Setting stuff to install. Now we'll create a text file which will tell the script we downloaded before which packages to install. Edit the new file (under the /home folder) with nano, gedit or other (in the following commands I'll use nano:

nano -w .easy_e17.conf
    Use this one:

--skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,entrance,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,elicit,evolve,e_dbus,elitaire,emphasis,
    empower,engycad,entrance_edit_gui,entropy,scrot,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,expedite,extrackt,engage,
    enthrall,rage,scrot,alarm,bling,cpu,deskshow,emu,flame,
    forecasts,language,mail,mem,mixer,moon,net,news,photo,rain,
    screenshot,slideshow,screenshot,snow,taskbar,tclock,uptime,weather,winselector,wlan,mixer
    if you want a minimal enlightenment with no extra modules or e-apps;
    Or use this one:

--skip=imlib2,edb,emotion,entrance,eclair,evfs,edje_viewer,edje_editor,
    elicit,evolve,elitaire,emphasis,empower,engycad,scrot,entrance_edit_gui,entropy,ephoto,estickies,exhibit,
    expedite,extrackt,engage,enthrall,rage,emu,flame,moon,rain,screenshot,snow,language,mixer
    if you want a complete E17 (recomended).
    NOTE: the code above (from the configuration text file) must be written on the file in only one line. I divided it in a few paragraphs due to the forum layout.
    4. Installation. The title speaks by itself:

./easy_e17.sh -i
    It should skip some modules, on the process which are probably obsolete or having critical bugs. If process finishes successfully E17 is installed, we're almost done.
    5. Environment. Due to the fact that enlightenment is installed under /opt/e17 we will need to add /opt/e17/bin to our $PATH variable.
    To do this open /etc/environment with your favorite text editor:

nano -w /etc/environment
    and add ':/opt/e17/bin' to the end of the PATH line. You should get something like:
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/opt/e17/bin
    6. Set enlightenment on your login. If you have GDM installed run this to be able to log into E17 from it:

ln -s /opt/e17/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop
    Now, with this I think we're done :). Hope you like enlightenment and that this guide has been useful to it. General credits go to Rui Pais from his original post of this @ ubuntuforums.org
Cheers ;).
Thanks for posting this I've got to try this out sometime.

jongi

#122 Post by jongi »

Hi guys,

I've downloaded an Enlightenment theme which is called milky.edj. How do I go about installing it?

I've placed the file in ~/.e/e/themes but it doesn't appear in the themes submenu.
Desktop: Debian (Sid) 64-bit, Gentoo 64-bit and Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit
Laptop: Gentoo 32-bit
MythTV: Debian (Testing) 32-bit

Bro.Tiag

#123 Post by Bro.Tiag »

jongi wrote:Hi guys,

I've downloaded an Enlightenment theme which is called milky.edj. How do I go about installing it?

I've placed the file in ~/.e/e/themes but it doesn't appear in the themes submenu.
When you go to the Main Menu>Configuration>Configuration Panel, select theme there should be an option for "Personal" or "System", select Personal and then navigate to where it is that you have saved the milky.edj & select it.

On a side note, I believe that the folk at e have changed things again. I just built e17 on my eMac and it's a lot different form what I currently have installed on Sid. So, depending on when you built e17, and when milky.edj was built, things might not be compatible.

One of the joy's of running an unstable Development Release. :lol:

Cheers

jongi

#124 Post by jongi »

stupid question. but when i left click on the desktop, I get a menu titled User Menus. It has these options

User Application List
GNOME
KDE
Other
Enlightenment Epplets
Restart Enlightenment
Log Out
When I right-click on the desktop I get a menu titled Settings. Neither of them have Configuration as an option.

Bro.Tiag

#125 Post by Bro.Tiag »

jongi wrote:stupid question. but when i left click on the desktop, I get a menu titled User Menus. It has these options

User Application List
GNOME
KDE
Other
Enlightenment Epplets
Restart Enlightenment
Log Out
When I right-click on the desktop I get a menu titled Settings. Neither of them have Configuration as an option.
Me thinks you are running e16. Here is a screeny of a default e16 install,

milky.edj is for e17.

Cheers

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#126 Post by mzilikazi »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
jongi wrote:stupid question. but when i left click on the desktop, I get a menu titled User Menus. It has these options

User Application List
GNOME
KDE
Other
Enlightenment Epplets
Restart Enlightenment
Log Out
Me thinks you are running e16. Here is a screeny of a default e16 install,

milky.edj is for e17.

Cheers
Epplets implies E16 IIRC. What does this say?

apt-cache policy enlightenment
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

jongi

#127 Post by jongi »

So as it turns out, it would be e16 that I am running. It seems I didn't take much care to look at what was being installed after setting up alphagemini. I also thought I had removed all references to stable in my repos.

[root:/#] apt-cache policy enlightenment
enlightenment:
  Installed: 1:0.16.7.2-5
  Candidate: 1:0.16.7.2-5
  Version table:
 *** 1:0.16.7.2-5 0
        500 ftp://ftp.is.co.za stable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
[root:/#] apt-cache policy e17
e17:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022
  Version table:
     1:0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022 0
        675 http://debian.alphagemini.org sid/main Packages
     0.16.999.050-1 0
          1 http://debian.mirror.ac.za experimental/main Packages
     0.16.999.043-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

MeanDean

#128 Post by MeanDean »

Installed: (none) :lol: woops...

jongi

#129 Post by jongi »

yeah i'll follow the instructions further up

MeanDean

#130 Post by MeanDean »

aptitude purge enlightenment
aptitude install e17

should do it...I think....

Bro.Tiag

#131 Post by Bro.Tiag »

MeanDean wrote:aptitude purge enlightenment
aptitude install e17

should do it...I think....
If he's using the alphagemini repo, he also has to set pinning.

BTW - I spent the week end installing e17 several different was, I'll be updating [url=http://debe17.com[/url] with the results, and that repo is pretty nice, not quite current though..

Cheers

jongi

#132 Post by jongi »

Doesn't seem to want to play ball

[root:~#] aptitude install e17
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  e17 libecore-imf-evas0{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 1413kB of archives. After unpacking 3588kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://debian.alphagemini.org sid/main libecore-imf-evas0 0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022 [6422B]
Get:2 http://debian.alphagemini.org sid/main e17 1:0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022 [1406kB]
Fetched 1413kB in 8s (176kB/s)
(Reading database ... 195359 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libecore-imf-evas0 (from .../libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libecore_imf_evas.so.0.9.9', which is also in package libecore-imf0
Selecting previously deselected package e17.
Unpacking e17 (from .../e17_1%3a0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of e17:
 e17 depends on libecore-imf-evas0; however:
  Package libecore-imf-evas0 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing e17 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
 e17

MeanDean

#133 Post by MeanDean »

Bro.Tiag wrote: If he's using the alphagemini repo, he also has to set pinning.
just more proof that nobody should ever follow my directions :lol:

Bro.Tiag

#134 Post by Bro.Tiag »

jongi wrote:Doesn't seem to want to play ball

[root:~#] aptitude install e17
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  e17 libecore-imf-evas0{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 43 not upgraded.
Need to get 1413kB of archives. After unpacking 3588kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://debian.alphagemini.org sid/main libecore-imf-evas0 0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022 [6422B]
Get:2 http://debian.alphagemini.org sid/main e17 1:0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022 [1406kB]
Fetched 1413kB in 8s (176kB/s)
(Reading database ... 195359 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libecore-imf-evas0 (from .../libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libecore_imf_evas.so.0.9.9', which is also in package libecore-imf0
Selecting previously deselected package e17.
Unpacking e17 (from .../e17_1%3a0.16.999.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libecore-imf-evas0_0.9.9.050-0cvs20081022_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of e17:
 e17 depends on libecore-imf-evas0; however:
  Package libecore-imf-evas0 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing e17 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
 e17
A few things, you did un-install all things enlightenment before re-trying? Also, have you tryed to install libecore-imf-evas0 by it's self? Another thing, uninstall & reinstall libeet1, the final thing have you used apt-get install --fix-missing? What 'bout dpkg -a configure ?

Cheers

garrincha

#135 Post by garrincha »

!Ay, caramba! I decided to check my SVN E17 from Morlenxus, and all I could say that it's delicious looking so far. I especially like the fancy penguins module that display tux walking, flying etc around my screen. Much improved indeed.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Bro.Tiag

#136 Post by Bro.Tiag »

garrincha wrote:!Ay, caramba! I decided to check my SVN E17 from Morlenxus, and all I could say that it's delicious looking so far. I especially like the fancy penguins module that display tux walking, flying etc around my screen. Much improved indeed.
Aye, I noticed last week end when I installed e17 to my eMac that things were a bit different. So I spent the week end installing e17 via various methods. While I am still fond of OzOs' apt-get the easy_e17.sh method, the stock Morlenxus script still does a fine job. So much so, that I am migrating my old Sid install over to a new one from the week end. What is really great, is that aside form entice no linger working, is all of my custom stuff still works.

Cheers

garrincha

#137 Post by garrincha »

Bro.Tiag wrote: Aye, I noticed last week end when I installed e17 to my eMac that things were a bit different. So I spent the week end installing e17 via various methods. While I am still fond of OzOs' apt-get the easy_e17.sh method, the stock Morlenxus script still does a fine job. So much so, that I am migrating my old Sid install over to a new one from the week end. What is really great, is that aside form entice no linger working, is all of my custom stuff still works.

Cheers
I haven't been able to find time to mess around with E17, but now there seems to be plenty of stuffs to go around and I'll probably spend the weekend playing with some of these "toys" LOL.

It's slowly becoming functional though. Here's a nice little page for sharing themes, applications and module:

http://exchange.enlightenment.org/
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Bro.Tiag

#138 Post by Bro.Tiag »

garrincha wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: Aye, I noticed last week end when I installed e17 to my eMac that things were a bit different. So I spent the week end installing e17 via various methods. While I am still fond of OzOs' apt-get the easy_e17.sh method, the stock Morlenxus script still does a fine job. So much so, that I am migrating my old Sid install over to a new one from the week end. What is really great, is that aside form entice no linger working, is all of my custom stuff still works.

Cheers
I haven't been able to find time to mess around with E17, but now there seems to be plenty of stuffs to go around and I'll probably spend the weekend playing with some of these "toys" LOL.

It's slowly becoming functional though. Here's a nice little page for sharing themes, applications and module:

http://exchange.enlightenment.org/
Thanks for the link. As for functional, I've been functioning in e17 since, '05 :D but this new stuff is very cool.

Cheers

jongi

#139 Post by jongi »

Bro.Tiag wrote: A few things, you did un-install all things enlightenment before re-trying? Also, have you tryed to install libecore-imf-evas0 by it's self? Another thing, uninstall & reinstall libeet1, the final thing have you used apt-get install --fix-missing? What 'bout dpkg -a configure ?

Cheers
Thanks. There were some stragglers. After going through what was installed with a fine toothcomb. I then ran aptitude install e17 again and everything was installed from the alphagemini repo.

Bro.Tiag

#140 Post by Bro.Tiag »

jongi wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: A few things, you did un-install all things enlightenment before re-trying? Also, have you tryed to install libecore-imf-evas0 by it's self? Another thing, uninstall & reinstall libeet1, the final thing have you used apt-get install --fix-missing? What 'bout dpkg -a configure ?

Cheers
Thanks. There were some stragglers. After going through what was installed with a fine toothcomb. I then ran aptitude install e17 again and everything was installed from the alphagemini repo.
Good on ya! You now have something that loos like this, Image?

Cheers