Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian screenshots site

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Debian screenshots site

#1 Post by Lavene »

Christoph Haas announced[1] the new screenshots.debian.net[2] web site
that serves as a public repository of screenshots taken from
applications contained in the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. It was
created to help get an impression of what a certain software will look
like on your desktop before you install it. Everybody can take
screenshots and upload them. The site admin team will just review your
changes before they become publicly visible. Support for screenshots has
already been built into the synaptic package manager.

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00003.html
2. http://screenshots.debian.net/

BioTube

#2 Post by BioTube »

Just checked the site out and that interface is just too cool! Click a pic and it comes up, no muss and no fuss! Click the enlarged pic and it goes away! All without Java and (AFAIK)Flash! I didn't know that JavaScript was that powerful!
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

rickh

#3 Post by rickh »

Yep ... pretty nifty. Not quite sure how I'll use it, but ... If they build it, we will come.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

pabs3

#4 Post by pabs3 »

At some point it will be integrated into packages.debian.org and all the graphical package managers so that it is easy to get a good idea of what the package you are trying to decide to install is like. Especially useful for picking a new game to play!

Telemachus

#5 Post by Telemachus »

BioTube wrote:Just checked the site out and that interface is just too cool! Click a pic and it comes up, no muss and no fuss! Click the enlarged pic and it goes away! All without Java and (AFAIK)Flash! I didn't know that JavaScript was that powerful!
Yup, the jQuery library has lots and lots of pre-made niftiness (nice license options, too). Check out the source of the effect, if you're curious: http://screenshots.debian.net/javascrip ... .flyout.js.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

RawMustard

#6 Post by RawMustard »

BioTube wrote:Just checked the site out and that interface is just too cool! Click a pic and it comes up, no muss and no fuss! Click the enlarged pic and it goes away! All without Java and (AFAIK)Flash! I didn't know that JavaScript was that powerful!
If you wanna see so cool stuff done is js alone, check out this site http://www.dhteumeuleu.com/

Flash really isn't needed and should be banished for ever :)

Back on topic, I think http://screenshots.debian.net/ will be useful somehow, although it was a bit slow for me.

MeanDean

Re: Debian screenshots site

#7 Post by MeanDean »

Lavene wrote: Support for screenshots has
already been built into the synaptic package manager.
needs bigger thumbnails in synaptic to be useful IMO and/or clickable thumbnail and/or zoomable thumbnails...

pretty nifty for those that like such things though...

ImageImage

edrozim

#8 Post by edrozim »

Wow I really like this site , thanks a lot.
About it's usability : very often well-done snapshot can say much more about UI and usability of programm, than textual list of it's features. And this site became even unreplaceable when we start speaking about games :wink:
So I think if and when it integrates with synaptic it will really greate feature

klaz168

#9 Post by klaz168 »

The general idea of this site is really cool, a real good plus to synaptic. :D

saulgoode

#10 Post by saulgoode »

Suhweet!
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

Nino99

#11 Post by Nino99 »

Nice job!!! :D
Simple, free, powerful = DEBIAN GNU\Linux Testing(squeeze)
Asus F9s

edbarx

#12 Post by edbarx »

With a slow internet connection this website is not much help. What about providing a link for those who have a slower internet connection?

Winds of Change... [This is not a complaint but only something to think about.]
Debian is going graphical... This will invariable attract more users, especially youths. The doctrine of the hard core debianite is changing...(?) In fact, there are some users of this forum, who felt not at home and stopped posting. Hopefully, Debian sticks with the "unix" tradition of writing modular software. If Debian renounces that, it will not be Debian anymore. It is very unnatural to imagine, having a Debian system running a server that requires a running desktop like Windows. It simply makes it more vulnerable. However, opinions are changing, and I have no guarantee, that in a few years, Debian will continue to employ the same policies.

Are the Debian developers considering to throw away all the CLI tools? Will the installation of a desktop or window manager, remain optional? I am inclined to believe that the answer may be yes.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

kabniel

Re:

#13 Post by kabniel »

edbarx wrote:With a slow internet connection this website is not much help. What about providing a link for those who have a slower internet connection?
Do you want a screenshot site without images? :?

bugsbunny

Re: Debian screenshots site

#14 Post by bugsbunny »

Are the Debian developers considering to throw away all the CLI tools?
I seriously doubt that that's going to happen. I'd wager a large amount at very long odds that that's not going to happen - in Debian or any other Linux distribution. The Desktops will continue to improve and graphics will become more prevalent - but they'll always be optional. Or at least for a very long time to come.

There's a difference between defaults and mandatory. And there's a difference between server setups and desktop/workstation setups. The latter are definitely going more graphical as time goes on. This is totally logical for a myriad of reasons. But even there the command line will still be available. Heck even Windows has a command line available, although you can't install current versions without a gui.

Linux, due to the nature of the beast, will always have gui desktops as only an option. Change that and you no longer have a Linux system. First question that would have to be answered is - "which desktop?". Good luck on having that "discussion" :) I think that in order for it to really change in that direction all the functionality of X would have to be moved to the kernel, and I really don't see that happening any time in the foreseeable future.

edbarx

Re: Re:

#15 Post by edbarx »

kabniel wrote:
edbarx wrote:With a slow internet connection this website is not much help. What about providing a link for those who have a slower internet connection?
That would be pretending the irrational. However, the images need not all have the same resolution. Some websites provide the same image with different resolutions, so that, users can choose what is appropriate for them.

StiKS

#16 Post by StiKS »

edbarx wrote:
That would be pretending the irrational. However, the images need not all have the same resolution. Some websites provide the same image with different resolutions, so that, users can choose what is appropriate for them.
Are you happy with anything Debian does?

kabniel

#17 Post by kabniel »

edbarx wrote:
kabniel wrote:
Fair enough, but the problem with screenshots of applications is that there's usually text that will become unreadable if you lower the resolution, images already get down-sized if they are above 800x600 with blurry text as result.

edbarx

#18 Post by edbarx »

kabniel wrote:... the problem with screenshots of applications is that there's usually text that will become unreadable if you lower the resolution, images already get down-sized if they are above 800x600 with blurry text as result.
Even if the text is unreadable, a smaller image gives a better idea than nothing. Moreover, one does not need to view every image in detail. Having a lower resolution gives the user the ability of choice, and hence, more flexibility.
StiKs wrote:Are you happy with anything Debian does?
Is it possible to improve without cristicism? Criticism is an integral part of the mechanism that enables improvement. Without it, one is stuck with dogmatic believes.