Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to resume after the suspend in lenny

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jaeezzy

how to resume after the suspend in lenny

#1 Post by jaeezzy »

Hi, I've been going through wiki, google searches on how to resume my dell inspiron 1420 using GeForce 8400M GS Video card, and lenny with linux-2.6.26-1-686 and due to me being new I'm confused what actually to do. I got gnome PM which I can use to suspend, hibernate but while resuming computer freezes there is a black screen and the keyboard is also unresponsive. I found some editing the hal-system-power-suspend-linux under /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux to use s2ram but in mine its using pm-utils. I installed uswsusp package and could suspend via 's2ram -f -a 3' but again resuming same problem. By the way I'm running windows as well. Any suggestions... Thanks.

graysky

#2 Post by graysky »

MB = ?

Suspend works fine on my LT-P35-T2R but does what you're describing on my older A7N8X-Deluxe, see this post.

jaeezzy

#3 Post by jaeezzy »

graysky wrote:MB = ?

Suspend works fine on my LT-P35-T2R but does what you're describing on my older A7N8X-Deluxe, see this post.
Thanks for the reply graysky. by MB = ? what do you actually mean. I got 2GB RAM, Partitioned space for Debian lenny 10GB, 2GB swap (there was 2GB extra space while partitioning and simple put it as swap. Hope this is what you asked.
Now I've installed wicd, I got wpa supplicant as well and Network Settings under System=>Administration=>Network that came with the installation. As mentioned in the post from the link you provided it got something to do with network manager so I disconnected from the network from wicd, unchecked both wireless and ethernet connection from Network Settings and in the /etc/network/interfaces assigned network that will connect automatically after reboot. After disconnecting from network, I tried suspending and resuming but with no success. The system gets suspended but fails to resume and I think my system is freezing while resuming as hitting caps lock and num lock doesn't lit up anything as it should normally.
Also now as I've installed the suwsusp package,I can suspend via 's2ram -f -a 3' and 'echo mem > /sys/power/state' but none is able to resume successfully. Anyway which is preferred and any further suggestions on it.. Thank you.

h3llh0l3

#4 Post by h3llh0l3 »

jaeezzy wrote:

Thanks for the reply graysky. by MB = ? what do you actually mean.
MB = motherboard

julian67

#5 Post by julian67 »

Unfortunately in this case you are at the mercy of nvidia and their proprietary driver. They have really lost the plot with the 8000 series drivers, lousy performance in GNU/Linux, broken suspend, unreliable hibernate. I have an integrated 8600 and it's the worst experience I've ever had with a graphics card which surprised me a lot because my older GeForce FX5200 worked really well. I've trawled the nvidia forums and apparently it's the same for everyone using 8000 series and Linux. I tried the latest drivers from nvidia and they stink, even with the various workarounds described by nvidia.

I bought the cheapest PCI-E radeon I could find and it is way better.

btw in Windows the nvidia card is excellent and the radeon is quite crappy.....
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

jaeezzy

#6 Post by jaeezzy »

h3llh0l3 wrote:
jaeezzy wrote:

Thanks for the reply graysky. by MB = ? what do you actually mean.
MB = motherboard

Sorry, I misunderstood. Here's details of my computer:
17: udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'
info.addons = { 'hald-addon-cpufreq', 'hald-addon-acpi' }
info.subsystem = 'unknown'
info.product = 'Computer'
info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'
system.kernel.name = 'Linux'
system.kernel.version = '2.6.26-1-686'
system.kernel.machine = 'i686'
power_management.can_suspend = true
power_management.can_suspend_hybrid = true
power_management.can_hibernate = true
system.hardware.primary_video.vendor = 4318 (0x10de)
system.hardware.primary_video.product = 1063 (0x427)
system.hardware.serial = 'DM6DR1S'
system.hardware.uuid = '44454C4C-4D00-1036-8044-C4C04F523153'
system.firmware.vendor = 'Dell Inc.'
system.firmware.version = 'A09'
system.firmware.release_date = '07/11/2008'
system.hardware.vendor = 'Dell Inc.'
system.hardware.product = 'Inspiron 1420'
system.hardware.version = ''
system.chassis.manufacturer = 'Dell Inc.'
power_management.type = 'acpi'
power_management.acpi.linux.version = '20080321'
system.chassis.type = 'Portable'
power_management.quirk.vbe_post = true
system.formfactor = 'laptop'
power_management.quirk.vbemode_restore = true
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_names = { 'Suspend', 'SuspendHybrid', 'Hibernate', 'Shutdown', 'Reboot', 'SetPowerSave' }
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_signatures = { 'i', 'i', '', '', '', 'b' }
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_argnames = { 'num_seconds_to_sleep', 'num_seconds_to_sleep', '', '', '', 'enable_power_save' }
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_execpaths = { 'hal-system-power-suspend', 'hal-system-power-suspend-hybrid', 'hal-system-power-hibernate', 'hal-system-power-shutdown', 'hal-system-power-reboot', 'hal-system-power-set-power-save' }
power_management.is_powersave_set = true
info.interfaces = { 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement' }

Sorry, I found it very hard to find which mother board I'm using. hope this tells it. When I looked it under device manager in windows there's a list and I think the one I need is "Intel Mobile PM965/GM965 .." Thank you.

jaeezzy

#7 Post by jaeezzy »

julian67 wrote:Unfortunately in this case you are at the mercy of nvidia and their proprietary driver. They have really lost the plot with the 8000 series drivers, lousy performance in GNU/Linux, broken suspend, unreliable hibernate. I have an integrated 8600 and it's the worst experience I've ever had with a graphics card which surprised me a lot because my older GeForce FX5200 worked really well. I've trawled the nvidia forums and apparently it's the same for everyone using 8000 series and Linux. I tried the latest drivers from nvidia and they stink, even with the various workarounds described by nvidia.

Does that mean, there is no workaround for GeForce 8000 series and that one either have to change the Video card itself or live without suspend and hibernate and suffer the pain of shutting down the laptop before closing the lid coz 'Do nothing' option while closing the lidl, I guess, is equivalent to leaving the computer open and every other option lead to a black screen while opening the lid which requires forceed shutdown and a restart? This can be very frustrating..

julian67

#8 Post by julian67 »

jaeezzy wrote:
julian67 wrote:Unfortunately in this case you are at the mercy of nvidia and their proprietary driver. They have really lost the plot with the 8000 series drivers, lousy performance in GNU/Linux, broken suspend, unreliable hibernate. I have an integrated 8600 and it's the worst experience I've ever had with a graphics card which surprised me a lot because my older GeForce FX5200 worked really well. I've trawled the nvidia forums and apparently it's the same for everyone using 8000 series and Linux. I tried the latest drivers from nvidia and they stink, even with the various workarounds described by nvidia.

Does that mean, there is no workaround for GeForce 8000 series and that one either have to change the Video card itself or live without suspend and hibernate and suffer the pain of shutting down the laptop before closing the lid coz 'Do nothing' option while closing the lidl, I guess, is equivalent to leaving the computer open and every other option lead to a black screen while opening the lid which requires forceed shutdown and a restart? This can be very frustrating..
That's been the case with mine (8600 nvidia chipset + integrated GPU on AMD2 CPU board). It's not a laptop so I don't have a lid but it is supposed to be able to suspend to RAM and to Disk and there is a sleep button on the dedicated keyboard. It was actually one of the (several) things which persuaded me to buy a new PC because I've been very impressed with the powersaving modes on my father's 2008 laptop with instant suspend and near enough instant resume. My old desktop has Athlon XP 2700....no cpu scaling, no suspend, no power management of any kind....with a 400+ Watt PSU (very high quality PSU so that's a genuine 400+) that adds a big chunk to my electricity bill. I naively assumed that if I bought a similarly modern machine I'd get the same benefit but actually even in the pre-installed Vista the suspend to RAM and resume were slowish (though graphics performance was fine). In Debian it's a non-starter at the moment and also the graphics performance is generally incredibly poor, hideous latency and the slowest rendering I've ever seen. It's been worse than using vesa driver. This is the first time I've struggled like this with a graphics card and with suspend issues in Debian, having had no real issues using Intel, ATI and older Nvidia cards both integrated in laptop boards and AGP on desktops so it's quite a disappointment. A cheap radeon has been the only fix I've found so far. I'd be very happy to be mistaken and if you find any other avenues to explore or possible solutions I'd love to hear it but I suspect that it might be a case of crossing our fingers and waiting for new nvidia drivers.

jaeezzy

Re: how to resume after the suspend in lenny

#9 Post by jaeezzy »

Can't believe it's been more than a year since my last post but I'm still having the same problem, no suspend/hibernate using the same computer with the same hardware. Has there been no solution yet?? Coz now evertime I close my laptop's lid it's set to shutdown coz only it works. Thanks

julian67

Re: how to resume after the suspend in lenny

#10 Post by julian67 »

jaeezzy wrote:Can't believe it's been more than a year since my last post but I'm still having the same problem, no suspend/hibernate using the same computer with the same hardware. Has there been no solution yet?? Coz now evertime I close my laptop's lid it's set to shutdown coz only it works. Thanks
All works very nicely now, so the cheap ati card is back in its box and I'm using the integrated nvidia. I'm running Squeeze with custom kernel and I install the nvidia driver using the nvidia installer script, not the Debian packages or method.

edit: the nvidia drivers have improved in a very big way, I think that's more important than kernel version or which version of Debian you run.