Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What type of computer do you use?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
anarchyinc666

What type of computer do you use?

#1 Post by anarchyinc666 »

I thought it would be nice to illustrate the different types of computers everyone uses, be it store bought or home made.

This is were you can brag about your puter.

My computer was built with spare parts I had laying around the house.. I am a computer repair guy by hobby and always have a few extra parts laying around from old salvaged computers. This particular computer was mainly just a motherboard and CPU, the disk drive and hard drive were totaled. I had a hard drive sitting around that was infested with a virus (or complete system failure) that I formatted and used. Funny thing was that all the normal windows folders were intact but were all empty.

I added a wireless card, video card, my old CRT, DVD rom, an external hard drive and I was in bussiness. I didn't feel like paying for windows and didn't have a pirated copy laying around so I thought that now was a good time to finally install Linux on something. I couldn't be happier.

All in all, my new system ended up costing me $13. (Had to buy a new keyboard, nothing special) My old computer that I bought part by part was about 5 grand, you can get the same thing at Wal-Mart right now for about $500, the same price I paid for just the video card at the time, not doing that again.

AMD Athlon XP 1.4 Ghz
200Gb total HD space
758Mb Ram
256Mb GeForce FX 5200 video card

Running Debian GNU/Linux 2.6.26-1-686
SID, XFce 4.4.2.1
Last edited by anarchyinc666 on 2008-12-05 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

jtodd

#2 Post by jtodd »

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1000; which is a laptop that I was given for x-mas last year. It has 256mb of ram, and a 30gb hard drive. It came with windows xp on it, which I've kept for gaming purposes since the graphics card doesn't do opengl as far as I can tell. My wireless dongle is a netgear wg111t which I have to use ndiswrapper to get working. I also have an external 298gb hard drive.

CPU:

Code: Select all

*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 5
bus info: cpu@0
version: 15.2.9
slot: Socket 478/423
size: 2200MHz
capacity: 2200MHz
width: 32 bits
capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxs    r sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
Debian GNU/Linux Sid | Intel Celeron 2.2GHz | 224mb RAM | 27GB HD | 320GB Ext. HD | dwm

julian67

#3 Post by julian67 »

Desktop: Acer Aspire X3200 AMD64 dual core 4050e 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA Hitachi HDD, Hitachi SATA DVDRW, Nvidia 8600 based board, hardware as supplied except added ATI Radeon HD3450 because the linux driver for the integrated nvidia stinks.

Laptop: Asus M5N 12.1" screen Pentium-M 1.6 GHz, 768MB RAM, 9 cell battery. Intel based very small laptop. Quite old now and was incredibly expensive back in 2002/2003. These days you can get something more capable for about 25% of the price I paid. But it's extremely well made, from very high quality components and is totally GNU/Linux friendly. Imo a 1st class machine. Runs Debian Lenny and also the original XP Pro OEM.

Laptop2: Lenovo Y410 14" Widescreen Core Duo (2 x 1.6GHz 32 bit), 1.5 GB RAM, Intel based. Quite powerful but nowhere near as well made as the Asus and with obviously cheaper case, keyboard, touchpad etc. Not quite as Linux friendly (audio and screen brightness change not fully supported). Runs Debian Lenny.

Old Desktop (will be selling it after Xmas): self built maybe 5 years ago. PCChips M848a board, Athlon XP 2700+ CPU, 1 GB Kingmax RAM, Nvidia GeForce FX5200 (recently installed), Creative Audigy, Thermaltake 420W PSU. Was all in a fairly decent but very ugly Estar case. Is now in a rather cheap+nasty Asus TA863 case (heavy, horrible cheap steel, poor materials, noise+vibration guaranteed) but which looks fantastic and should make it saleable. Very nice machine, totally Linux compatible but struggles these days with CPU and disk intensive tasks. Newer hardware is very clearly superior in these respects.

My Newest Computer: Linksys NSLU2 (Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 drives) ARM Intel XScale IXP420 overclocked to 266 MHz and running Debian Lenny from an old Freecom 80GB USB HDD. I bought a Linksys refurbished model for not very much £ via Amazon.uk. Overclocking it by cutting a resistor out of the board was quite worrying but well worth it, doubled the clock speed. I tried some of the alternative firmwares but in the end a full Debian install is more satisfactory (despite a small performance penalty, as unlike the optware packages the Debian packages aren't optimised for this specific hardware).
This is a great computer. I use it to run rtorrent and SSH server. The advantage over running a torrent client on this PC is that it uses less power than a lightbulb and frees my Desktop HDDs from the performance hit of constant reading and writing. The next task is to set up get_iplayer and cron so it acts as a PVR.

I also have an old iRiver H340 which runs RockBox and plays any audio I've ever fed it and is a decent video player as well. The rockBox firmware adds all kinds of facilities beyond the extra audio format support and enhanced video capability. There are lots of games, a text editors, database, keystore, calculator and a few other things.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

habelbeek

#4 Post by habelbeek »

Laptop: Dell Inspire 9200 http://www.dell.com

Laptop: Dell Latitude 600 http://dell.com
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Service pack 1 http://microsoft.com

Laptop: Dell Latitude 610 http://dell.com
Dual-boot OS: Debian Testing Release Lenny with KDE http://debian.org
WINDOWS = NASTY
LINUX = GLORIOUS
GNU/LINUX = WHAT I LIVE FOR

danieldk

#5 Post by danieldk »

At home:

Desktop:
Packard Bell (don't know the type)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
3GB RAM
240GB hard disk (Seagate)
nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE]
With a Sid/Experimental blend

Laptop:
Until yesterday a Core 2 Duo MacBook, but I have now ordered a HP Compaq 6730s, with 2GB RAM, Intel Celeron M 575 2GHz, 160GB hard disk, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430. Should be enough for the next two years. I'll probably be running Debian Lenny or Sid on this machine.

Qew

#6 Post by Qew »

Main machine
Dell Dimension 8300 (circa 2003)
Intel P4 2.6GHz HT processor
1GB RAM
128MB Nvidia FX5200 video card
200GB Western Digital harddrive
DVD player (Samsung)
CDRW (NEC)
SoundBlaster Live audio card (added myself due to original Dell SB not being detected back when I bought this machine in 2003, although now said card will work if I chose to reinstall it)
Running Debian Lenny exclusively

Second machine (laptop)
Mesh laptop (circa 2001)
1GHz Intel P3
256MB RAM
16MB video (SIS) (shared with RAM)
20GB harddrive (Hitachi)
CDRW (think it's a Hitachi, but too lazy to turn it on to find out for sure)
SIS audio
Running Debian Etch exclusively

kabniel

#7 Post by kabniel »

Laptop: Zepto Znote 3215W
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz, 2gb RAM, Intel X3100 graphics, 80gb hd, Ralink (rt2860, why oh why didnt i go Intel?) based wificard.
Debian Testing with Openbox and me in front of it 99% of the time.

Desktop: AMD 1.4ghz Athlon, 512mb RAM, 20gb hd, Nvidia 7600GS.
Ubuntu 8.10, built from the few working parts of two broken desktops (which have served me good for the last 8 years) last weekend when i had a sudden urge for Darwinia

BioTube

#8 Post by BioTube »

My monitor's some Dell LCD, my keyboard a Compaq(spilled milk on the last), my mouse a Dynex. I've got a DVD reader, a CDRW burner(4x), a 28 GB hard drive and a 80 gig one I bought for ~$40(all IDE). My processor's a Prescott at 2.66 gigahertz with a CoolerMaster fan/heatsink I bought after braking the one I found with it(~$10 after mail=in rebate, which I haven't gotten yet); my mobo's an ECS model. I've got an rt2500 PCI card and a rt73 USB stick(both of which refuse to work at the moment). I also have a Radeon 9200 Pro(switched out with a similar model we found form a computer we bought) and a gig of RAM. I've also got a 360 controller(wired) attached, which was found like most everything else.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

oOarthurOo

#9 Post by oOarthurOo »

habelbeek wrote:Laptop: Dell Inspire 9200 http://www.dell.com
That Imagic looks like a spammer. I wouldn't trust anything from a company that claims to sell Linux that "iMagic OS can now run almost every application create for a Microsoft Windows based Operating System!"...

It also claims to have cxoffice built in, which I am also skeptical about.

I wonder if they even have their own repos, or if it's just Linux Mint wtih some crap added (new theme, rootkit and keylogger, icons).

UPDATE; Yeah, it's scam and spam. Google for it and you'll see one comment replicated word-for-word on like 50 different forums.

julian67

#10 Post by julian67 »

oOarthurOo wrote:
That Imagic looks like a spammer. I wouldn't trust anything from a company that claims to sell Linux that "iMagic OS can now run almost every application create for a Microsoft Windows based Operating System!"...

I wonder if they even have their own repos, or if it's just Linux Mint wtih some crap added (new theme, rootkit and keylogger, icons).

UPDATE; Yeah, it's scam and spam. Google for it and you'll see one comment replicated word-for-word on like 50 different forums.
Distrowatch wrote:iMagic OS is a commercial desktop Linux distribution based on Kubuntu. Its major features are ease of use, bleeding-edge desktop, easy installation, and compatibility with Microsoft software.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Gonky

#11 Post by Gonky »

I don't have a computer to brag about, so I won't. It's a piece of crap that I hobbled together. It suits my needs and I don't have any needs that will require me to add anything to it. I want to get a laptop soon so I'll probably save up for a cheap one. I won't need anything fancy...I just want to be able to sit under a tree in a field and type. (I'm not writing a novel or any other sort of book. lol)
Permission to speak freely, Sir?

Icoo

#12 Post by Icoo »

Lets join the fun :D
The PC is about 3-4 years old but still gets the job done good:

Monitor 19" Samsung 931BF
AMD Athlon 64 +3000 @ 2.0 GHz
Abit AN8 Fatal1ty board
3 GB Kingmax RAM
Sapphire Radeon X800
4 x Seagate 250 GB drives = 1 TB storage 8)
Running Deabian Lenny...what else would I run :roll: :D

Laptop (about 2-3 years old)
HP NX7400 15.4" screen
Intel CoreSolo @ 1.66 GHz
1 GB RAM
60 GB disk

...hope to replace the laptop with a Asus EEE PC 901 with Debian on it because carrying a 15.4" laptop everyday to uni isn't fun :x

Lou

#13 Post by Lou »

I got a sempron 2600 (1.6 mgz) with half a gig of ram, nothing to brag about, but it is enough for my needs.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

Pick2

#14 Post by Pick2 »

Gonky wrote:... I just want to be able to sit under a tree in a field and type ...
You might want to keep a close eye out for squirrels ... because they might just think you're Nuts ! :P :lol:
<just/kidding>

I run Stanford's folding at home project , I have a Phenom Quad core , twelve AMD dual cores , and a few Macs for surfing. And I keep a close eye out for squirrels ! :D

Gonky

#15 Post by Gonky »

Pick2 wrote:
Gonky wrote:... I just want to be able to sit under a tree in a field and type ...
You might want to keep a close eye out for squirrels ... because they might just think you're Nuts !
I am nuts. I'm also the man who killed Cock Robin, shot him in the gut so he'd die slow with a lot of pain.
Permission to speak freely, Sir?

oOarthurOo

#16 Post by oOarthurOo »

I have an HP 530 Laptop. It has 1GB of RAM, an 80GB hard-drive, and duo-core cpu @ 1.6 Ghz. It's got all intel insides and works pretty good right out of the box with Debian.

It is a bargain laptop ($600 CAN), so the battery doesn't work anymore after 1 year it holds about 2 minutes of power. The touchpad has also malfunctioned, which may or may be related to the wine that spilled on it. Either way, it now sends a mouse-click event about 50 times a second if it is turned on. A simple rmmod psmouse works pretty well, and is $70 cheaper than fixing it.

I'm most pleased about how I turned this little piece o' crap into a lean, mean, quiet machine. It had these fat, cheap plastic grates over the fan on the bottom and covering up the metal exhaust on the left side of the case. Some needle-nose pliars was all it took to rip the cheap plastic coverings off, and the increased air-flow dropped temps by about 1 or 2 degrees. I also undervolted the cpu dropping it a further 3 or 4 degrees. That 4-6 degree savings made a big difference because now the fan rarely turns on. Only if I watch a flash video on youtube or edit photos in gimp while listening to music and running icedove and browsing iceweasel will it turn on at its lowest setting.

I've also stripped gnome to its bare essentials, and am left with a system that looks and acts exactly like a default gnome install, but currently only uses 108MB of RAM on boot. A default install uses about 220MB, though a lot of that gain is just by disabling 3d support. I'm not sure how much switching to openbox from metacity saved me, but even if it didn't save a single MB it's still worth it given how quick and snappy it feels.

I currently have 680 packages installed, and my install uses 2.7 GB, not including home. I hope to run Lenny on this thing for the next several years, as it currently does everything I need and is pretty much bug free. I haven't found a bug yet anyway. The only thing I've done is manually installed openoffice 3.0, but when that hits Lenny backports in a year or so I'll have a 100% legit Debian system.

ChristofferC

#17 Post by ChristofferC »

Well, I have four computers in use right now.

Desktop:
C2D E4300 @ 3 GHz
4GB DDR2
Ati HD4850 512 MB @ 680/1050
500 + 3*320 GB HDD
My gaming rig.

Laptop:
ThinkPad X40
Pentium 4 M 1.2 GHz
1 GB RAM
40 GB HDD
I use it mostly for school

Server:
AMD Athlon Palomino 2000+ (I'm a bit ashamed of the power consumption)
512 MB DDR
80 + 4*1TB in RAID5 HDD
NFS/SAMBA/Web/Torrents/Irssi/SVN/DNS/Backup/more

Router:
Pentium 233 MHz
192 MB RAM (overkill, I know)
2GB HDD
Has been in continous use (abuse) by me since around 1999. The CPU fan broke down a few years ago, but it's still running just fine.

All of them except the router are running Lenny. The router runs Etch. The desktop also runs XP and Vista.
Shaw's Principle: Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

habelbeek

#18 Post by habelbeek »

oOarthurOo wrote:
Well, dont know about "almost every" xD

But its OK. It is an OS, based on Gutsy, i think.

yes, has crossover pro. I think thats why its so expensive. costs me a stack. :) Very slick GUI though. CNR is free, so anyone can use it.

Well, if its mint with a new UI, it sure is a real dandy shweet one!
WINDOWS = NASTY
LINUX = GLORIOUS
GNU/LINUX = WHAT I LIVE FOR

Kats

#19 Post by Kats »

Workstation: Optipus
Mainboard I got for free from my dad.
AMD Atlhon 64 with a huge fan I had to carve a hole in my chassis to fit.
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS (Global Suck).
Logitech G3 cord-mouse (Love that mouse).
Blue classic filth mousepad with some drawings on it.
Logitech Ultra-X keyboard, modified with custom spraypaint and reduced resistance to the buttons zxcv.
2x 19" CRT-monitors, unbranded. Works pretty well though.
OS: Dualboot Debian Lenny & Windows XP (For those games wine can't run).

Laptop: Laptopus
Fujitsu Amilio Pro v2000.
Internal wifi died, so I replaced it.
Modded with 2 extra usb-slots.
~ I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown.

mauser1891

Using...

#20 Post by mauser1891 »

Hello Folks,

I use a HP/Compaq C551NR laptop w/ 2 gigs of 5300, and Debian 4.0r4 GNU/Linux. And for a coaster... Win Vista HE dvd. lol
Thank You,
Mauser1891

AMD A6-3400M 8G DDR3 Samsung EVO 120 powered Gateway laptop
FX-8350, 7970, 32G DDR3, 8G RamDisk/SSD/SSHD/HD, Win 8.1 Pro desktop