Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"stable" Sid?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
lolanoob

"stable" Sid?

#1 Post by lolanoob »

Hi, has anyone else noticed Sid is _*MUCH*_ more stable this time around, when Lenny is testing then, say, Etch, Srage, or Woddy was in testing? Or am I just crasy?

Telemachus

#2 Post by Telemachus »

Lenny is frozen now. As I recall from Etch, when Testing become frozen, Sid becomes very very very stable itself. There was a discussion about this recently, if you want to search around for it.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

AdrianTM

Re: "stable" Sid?

#3 Post by AdrianTM »

lolanoob wrote:Hi, has anyone else noticed Sid is _*MUCH*_ more stable this time around, when Lenny is testing then, say, Etch, Srage, or Woddy was in testing? Or am I just crasy?
Yes, I think Debian guys put their act together. The worst period for Sid was about when Ubuntu first appeared from what I remember, I don't know if there's any causational link...
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

daengbo

#4 Post by daengbo »

Agreed. There's almost no difference between Sid and Lenny right now. Once Lenny is released, I expect there to be a flood into Sid.

Hellmark

#5 Post by Hellmark »

I know with previous freezes, things in Sid seemed to have been relatively unchanged, where as this go round, there's pretty much been zero new packages the last few months. I know of a handful of apps that have had multiple major releases, while nothing has changed in Sid.

I dunno about you guys, but it kinda makes me nervous.

Burnside

#6 Post by Burnside »

Hellmark wrote:I dunno about you guys, but it kinda makes me nervous.
Are you kidding? This is going to be fun. :twisted:

anarchyinc666

#7 Post by anarchyinc666 »

Sidux is trying to make Sid as stable as possible as well.

http://sidux.com/

I started using their repos last night, so far they look pretty good.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

Hellmark

#8 Post by Hellmark »

Oh, once things start moving again, yes will be fun. The lack of movement is nerve racking for me. Just for me, I am using buggy apps, who have had versions released months ago that fix the problems, but they're still not available in the pools.