Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Mounting ext4 drive

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
super.rad

[SOLVED] Mounting ext4 drive

#1 Post by super.rad »

I've been trying fedora 10 for a few weeks and decided to also try reformatting one of my drives as ext4. I've have had no problems with it at all and the drive was actually quieter than usual (is an old and pretty noisy drive) and fsck check's have been much quicker than on ext3.
To mount the drive in fedora I just typed

Code: Select all

mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /media/media
and in fstab I just changed filesystem from ext3 to ext4 and it mounted on boot with no problems.
After having a few problems on fedora (and not liking rpm/yum as much as deb/apt) I reinstalled Debian from the weekly testing CD. As lenny is still frozen I decided to upgrade to sid until squeeze is released when I will change my sources back to testing.
The problem is I tried to mount the drive using the same commands I used on fedora and got the error

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'
So after a bit of searching I found the following from here
In Debian Lenny (Testing), the following current packages provide ext4 support:

* ext4dev module in the linux-image package (2.6.26-10)
* e2fsprogs (1.41.3-1)

It should be noted that the stock 2.6.26 ext4 has problems with delayed allocation and with filesystems with non-extent based files. So until Debian starts shipping a 2.6.27 based kernel or a 2.6.26 kernel with at least the 2.6.26-ext4-7 patchset, you should mount ext4dev filesystems using -o nodelalloc and only use freshly created filesystems using "mke2fs -t ext4dev". (Without these fixes, if you try to use an ext3 filesystem which was converted using tune2fs -E test_fs -o extents /dev/DEV, you will probably hit a kernel BUG the moment you try to delete or truncate an old non-extent based file.)
So I tried mounting the drive using "ext4dev" instead of just "ext4" but I'm getting this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
output from dmesg | tail

[ 2418.752407] EXT4-fs: hdd1: not marked OK to use with test code.
Can anyone help me to mount this drive?
Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to say, I know I could just build a newer kernel but I want to check if theres an easier way first as I have never built/compiled a kernel before
Last edited by super.rad on 2008-12-02 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

bugsbunny

#2 Post by bugsbunny »

A bit of googling and I suggest that you look at the following:
man tune2fs
-E option
the test_fs and ^test_fs flags

CreamFilledGiraffe

#3 Post by CreamFilledGiraffe »

Try

insmod ext4dev
first.

Might help.
Peace,
Rich

super.rad

#4 Post by super.rad »

bugsbunny wrote:A bit of googling and I suggest that you look at the following:
man tune2fs
-E option
the test_fs and ^test_fs flags
Thanks, tried that and worked perfectly, incase anyone else has this problem I typed

tune2fs -E test_fs /dev/hdd1
then

mount -t ext4dev /dev/hdd1 /media/media