Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How-To: Pulseaudio

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
praka123

#21 Post by praka123 »

Hi,

What should I add to /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc file? lately iceweasel 3 is not starting with "padevchooser" in the field :oops:

BTW ,Thank you very much for the guide.
Debian (Testing/Unstable)

Arthur Archnix

#22 Post by Arthur Archnix »

Thanks for all the links and the how-to. It's nice to know what's coming. That email to the gnome people was especially informative. Other than controlling sounds individually there's nothing I need my audio to do that it doesn't do already, so I'm not going to risk introducing new bugs/problems for a feature I'd rarely used. But where it's going seems very exciting, and I can't wait until the Debian guys switch to it as their default sound server. The stuff about apps on the left playing alerts out your left speaker, or minimized windows reducing sound automatically seem like really useful and cool features.

Anyway, great how-to.

UPDATE: I take it back. I installed it and I immediately fell in love. It's awesome. I thought I'd have to configure my system sounds, but they just work. Beautiful.

Mrbigshot08

#23 Post by Mrbigshot08 »

praka123 wrote:Hi,

What should I add to /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc file? lately iceweasel 3 is not starting with "padevchooser" in the field :oops:

BTW ,Thank you very much for the guide.
ICEWEASEL_DSP="none"

iceweasel 3 should work with that, but if that doesn't then this definitely will...

ICEWEASEL_DSP="padsp"
http://pulseaudio.org/
Registered User #444844
Debian Sid

Mrbigshot08

#24 Post by Mrbigshot08 »

mattd7591 wrote:Anyone know anything or a tutorial that will work about using the network audio with it.
I am trying to forward pulseaudio sound from my linux box to my windows box via ssh tunneling, but so far absoulety nothing has worked.
I was actually thinking about adding that to the how-to, but I only have it working with other linux boxes with pulseaudio installed, I have yet to try with windows. :)
Registered User #444844
Debian Sid

macxcool

Using VLC to connect to Pulseaudio RTP stream

#25 Post by macxcool »

I want to use VLC to connect to a Pulseaudio RTP stream (awesome feature, by the way) enabled using the Pulseaudio Preferences applet. I've enable RTP and allowed discovery and unauthenticated access. I've tried something like rtp://username@hostname:port and other similar URIs but I can't get it to work yet.
BTW I'm running VLC in windows and I also have a Linux box with a distro that doesn't use Pulseaudio. I want to use VLC for both.
This could be tunneled over SSH if one could get it to work?

Conrad

#26 Post by Conrad »

Hi!

Your how-to is nice but as far as I know you should not simply add yourself to the PA groups. :)

You should use pulseaudio -D as user, not as root (systemwide) and then you don't need to change the group-file (on Lenny the pulse user added itself to the audio group).

Also you need to add yourself to the pulse-rt group only if you want to use the realtime functions, which pose a security risk.

DrumScum

#27 Post by DrumScum »

Conrad wrote:Hi!

Your how-to is nice but as far as I know you should not simply add yourself to the PA groups. :)

You should use pulseaudio -D as user, not as root (systemwide) and then you don't need to change the group-file (on Lenny the pulse user added itself to the audio group).
Yes, he's right. That only has to be done when running PA system-wide.
Conrad wrote: Also you need to add yourself to the pulse-rt group only if you want to use the realtime functions, which pose a security risk.
But doesn't one need a rt-kernel to use the rt functions in PA? I'm a bit confused by this.

roooz

#28 Post by roooz »

thanks, looks like a great howto. I also have Ubuntu installed on a partition and they seems to have much problems with it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Are these problems also on debian?

RandumKiwi

#29 Post by RandumKiwi »

I'm an ex-ubuntu user (it was good, but the sound issues were very frustrating, I tried everything to fix it, but nothing seemed to work). From what I had read, the implementation in ubuntu for pulseaudio was sub-standard and this is why it caused many issues (I love the idea behind pulseaudio, audio that just works should be a feature of linux).

Anyhow, sick of the issues, I've come to big-brother debian, quite simple to adapt to so-far :) and after installing pulseaudio, my sounds still work fine.

I've registered to help you with something: padevicechooser

Your guide advises people to install padevicechooser, I used to use padevicechooser in ubuntu (it's quite useful, I have it start the applet on login, look it up), however, using this guide, padevicechooser won't work.

Code: Select all

** (padevchooser:3394): WARNING **: pa_browser_new() failed.
According to this, it seems that you need to install avahi-daemon as padevicechooser is dependant on it.

Please update the guide to install "avahi-daemon" to help out other fellow debian users, thanks :)

Mrbigshot08

#30 Post by Mrbigshot08 »

I am actually in the process of adding a section on using the network discovery features of pulseaudio to the guide. Which is why padevchooser needs avahi. I actually wasn't aware that padevchooser did not call avahi as a dependency, i knew it was necessary for network discovery, the developer of pulseaudio is also a developer of avahi. So I will definitely be adding this stuff to the section on play pulseaudio sounds on network computers. I am actually having weird network problems at my house that are keeping me from finishing the section as I would like.
Registered User #444844
Debian Sid

m_l

#31 Post by m_l »

Thanks for this How to. Helped me get more functionality from pulseaudio.

El1iP3S01D

Fellow Debianist...

#32 Post by El1iP3S01D »

I'm running Debian Sid xfce amd64 and i've just finished installing pulseaudio. My question is this, what does this line mean, E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

Folks, Pulseaudio does work!!! It works with Adobe's 64 bit Flash plyaer 10.d22.87 and Mplayer... I'm using Debian xfce amd64 Sid, i'm using Pulseaudio system wide and it works...as a matter of fact i love that u could use your own EQ settings as an EQ... My only complain is that Audacity does not work with Pulseaudio; I'm guessing is a configuration problem on my part, yet i report that Pulseaudio does work and i wish that Lennart could add Underwater and Powerful feature to the EQ.... 8)
By the way, Ryoko my Turtle and Saleen s7 TT rule my world...:-p

Hadret

Re: How-To: Pulseaudio

#33 Post by Hadret »

Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?

rplantz

#34 Post by rplantz »

Hadret wrote:Working fine on GNOME 2.26 Debian Testing/Unstable. Just wondering - anybody else have same issue, that when system starts, system sound is muted and there's need to launch PulseAudio sound settings to change that? Is there a way to save those settings?
Same here. I get the login sound okay, but then I have to turn on the system sound after gnome has started.

Can anybody point me to a good description of how the sound system is set up? When I first installed sid I had no sound. I went through all sorts of things with alsa. The driver was loaded okay. I could play sounds with aplay from root, but not from user. None of my applications had sound. Then I installed pulseaudio and everything worked. I would like to understand the relationship(s) between pusleaudio and alsa, and why I needed to install pulseaudio. And, yes, I'm looking for the gory technical details.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the discussion at http://linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/ ... t-doing-it seems to be out of date, but it's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Probably with even more detail.
Given how each of us started life, our similarities are much more remarkable than our differences.

hellfire[bg]

#35 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Last dist-upgrade of my Debian Unstable installed pulse audio. I had several problems with it - first there was no sound in skype, second there was now sound mixing (meaning that most of the time there was only application that could have sound - for example if i play an mp3 in rhythmbox there was no sound in the flash videos i`m playing in iceweasel or no sound the games i play in wine - normally these would all mix), third seeking in mplayer was terrible - very slow and choppy, and last - suddenly another volume indicator icon appeared in my icon tray (i use GNOME) - besides the volume control applet which already was there. After i spent several hours trying to resolve the skype problem (i tried the pulse audio perfect setup) i just gave up and removed pulse audio. Are these problems common?
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Hadret

#36 Post by Hadret »

Just two links about new feature in PulseAudio: Does mute issue in GNOME still persist?

argon99

#37 Post by argon99 »

I had some problems setting up Pulse Audio here is what I did to get it to work.

I tried this with debian, ubuntu and fedora, latest editions for them all. I followed this how2 but I didn't get any sound from my claro card. Debian has a problem with hal. This compounded the situation so I dumped it. I went to ubuntu but I couldn't get sound to work with the claro card. But it did work with a sound blaster. I then installed fedora 11 on a differnet computer and put the claro card in it. It didn't work. I used alsa-info to get the information about what alsa was doing on the fedora box. I noticed that the drivers were all 1.0.18 while the rest of alsa was 1.0.21. I downloaded the alsa drivers for 1.0.21 from herehttp://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page and compiled and installed the 1.0.21 drivers on the fedora box. Everything worked!! Had sound with flash and vlc worked with the pluse plugin and I could play mp3 and wav files no problem. I then went and tried this with the ubuntu box. I compiled and installed the 1.0.21 drivers but no joy. I ran alsa-info and found out that ubuntu was using older utils and lib as well as older drivers. I tried to update them as well but again no joy. Ubuntu isn't configured to let me do that. Many of the alsa programs would not compile because of missing dependancies. And I couldn't install them because they were not listed in synaptic. Curses is one of them. At this point I have a working system, fedora 11, that uses pulse and my new claro card so I wasn't interested in debugging ubuntu I am now in the process of loading fedora 11 on the box I wanted the claro card for. I hope this bit of information will help out those that want to get pulse working. I'm sure that if you can jump through all the hoops to get all of alsa updated to 1.0.21 you will be happy. But there are many hoops, good luck.

El1iP3S01D

#38 Post by El1iP3S01D »

Folks, do you need Alsamixer to make Pulseaudio work, because i have no sound?

El1iP3S01D

#39 Post by El1iP3S01D »

Mr. bigshot, i followed your how to the letter and i can't for the life of my hear the audio or any sound on my Debian Lenny xfce4 64 bit? any input that you could offer? My mobo is a Asus P5N-D and it is a HD audio chip set by nvidia and chip sound by Realtek...

praka123

64-bit Debian with Pulseaudio and 32-bit flashplugin :

#40 Post by praka123 »

Firstly, I am on a 64-bit Debian Squeeze with 32-bit Flash Plugin.
--
I Moved off to 32-bit Adobe Flash Plugin with nspluginwrapper After Following @Craigevil's Thread here:
Howto get Adobe Flash working in 64bit
And Flash Works Fine On Iceweasel,Chrome etc.
--
BUT ,Pulseaudio was not enabled earlier.Add a new entry with below content to your startup using Gnome startupmanager(or whatever startup scripts You have) :

Code: Select all

start-pulseaudio-x11 -D
^Of course ,with pulse,pulse-access groups as local user's secondary groups.
Pulseaudio Works Fine with most Applications and Multiple Instances are also working Fine.
--
But Iceweasel ,Chrome Browsers are not having Sound with Flash Video(Youtube for eg) AS, I have 32-bit flashplugin installed using nspluginwrapper.

Then ,I saw this Bug Report:
Debian BTS:Please add libgdbm3 and libwrap0

ldd /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so also showed 32-bit libgdbm3 and libwrap0 missing.
I have to extract(dpkg-deb -x xy.deb /path/to/directory) libgdbm3_1.8.3-9_i386.deb,ibwrap0_7.6.q-19_i386.deb to the respective lib32 directories and it worked!
Now I have sound with Flash Video in Browsers.
PS:There is No Need to edit /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc to add padsp etc as in the First Post.

Hope it Helps.
Debian (Testing/Unstable)