Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A couple things to do until the revolution

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
AdrianTM

#21 Post by AdrianTM »

Getting back to discussion it's not possible to distribute Firefox officially (because of the license and because this solution with Iceweasel doesn't compromise either Debian's or Mozilla's principles) But if you want you can install Firefox directly from Mozilla, is not that hard.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

jheaton5

#22 Post by jheaton5 »

AdrianTM wrote:Getting back to discussion it's not possible to distribute Firefox officially (because of the license and because this solution with Iceweasel doesn't compromise either Debian's or Mozilla's principles) But if you want you can install Firefox directly from Mozilla, is not that hard.
I read yesterday on Linux Online that Debian had modified it's license which would make it easier for third party software suppliers to subscribe. Mozilla was specifically mentioned as a candidate.

AdrianTM

#23 Post by AdrianTM »

I don't know anything about this, but I doubt if any change would have an effect to allow Firefox because of Debian social contract (that to my knowledge was not modified): http://www.debian.org/social_contract and The Debian Free Software Guidelines: http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

jheaton5

#24 Post by jheaton5 »

jheaton5 wrote:
AdrianTM wrote:Getting back to discussion it's not possible to distribute Firefox officially (because of the license and because this solution with Iceweasel doesn't compromise either Debian's or Mozilla's principles) But if you want you can install Firefox directly from Mozilla, is not that hard.
I read yesterday on Linux Online that Debian had modified it's license which would make it easier for third party software suppliers to subscribe. Mozilla was specifically mentioned as a candidate.
I made an error. The source of the article I read was Linux Today. Sorrry.

AdrianTM

#25 Post by AdrianTM »

Do you actually have a link?

rickh

#26 Post by rickh »

I read that article. It said zero, zip, nada, about Mozilla's license being acceptable. Firefox sucks. People who think it's important should not be running Debian. Of course I don't use Iceweasel either.

(Google "debian agpl" for the article)
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

martinmtz

State of the art??

#27 Post by martinmtz »

I used to have installed Ubuntu in my box, but I changed to Debian since Ubuntu is a lot buggier than Debian Sid because of the commercial pressure about the six months releases.
How can Firefox 3 beta 5 be included in the 8.04 issue?
I can't notice the difference between Iceweasel and Firefox because they are almost the same program!!

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#28 Post by mzilikazi »

jheaton5 wrote:
BioTube wrote:Iceweasel is a renamed, bugfixed version of Firefox. Why would we want to be tethered to Lord Mozilla?
I don't want to be tethered, I just want my browser to work better. Anyone who has used both Iceweasel and the Ubuntu version of Firefox knows there is difference in performance.
I have never compared the two but if there is in fact a difference I don't see how it could be related to the name of the browser. The code is open so it can and does get tweaked. As mentioned, you can always run whatever flavor of fireweasel suits you. Personally I've been using minefield and liking it quite alot despite some bugs.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

craigevil

#29 Post by craigevil »

jheaton5 wrote:
BioTube wrote:Iceweasel is a renamed, bugfixed version of Firefox. Why would we want to be tethered to Lord Mozilla?
I don't want to be tethered, I just want my browser to work better. Anyone who has used both Iceweasel and the Ubuntu version of Firefox knows there is difference in performance.
You obviously haven't been in #ubuntu or looked on other forums. Firefox in ubuntu crashes for a lot of people for absolutely no reason. I can't even remember the last time I had issues with Iceweasel.

The Debian devs tend to fix bugs that Mozilla tends to overlook. Personally I trust the debian devs more than I trust the Mozilla devs, Firefox is made for windows, the fact that it happens to work in linux is or more or less an after thought for Mozilla.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

jheaton5

#30 Post by jheaton5 »

I am switching to epiphany for a while to see how that works.