Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Package management idea.

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
martinmtz

Package management idea.

#1 Post by martinmtz »

I know one of the biggest strengths of Debian is the prebuilt packages but, what about a new feature in apt (kind of an advanced apt-build) that lets you compile your packages and if you desire all its dependencies like Gentoo's portage tool?
That will improve Debian's performance a lot without adding too much complexity, and more important it will give more freedom to the end user.

BioTube

#2 Post by BioTube »

So a source-based apt? I'ved tried FreeBSD's ports(a side effect of my one-day-stand is that my wireless cards don't work under Linux - always use protection!) which uses an ncurses(curses?) interface to ask about optional features. Is that what you're thinking of(I've never used portage)?
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

anarchyinc666

#3 Post by anarchyinc666 »

And how is this different from compiling from source? And the fact that you need the dependent packages in order for the install to function correctly or at least the way it was meant to function?

Am I missing something?
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GIT d- s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E-- W+++ N- o-- K- w++
O- M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y PGP+++ t-- 5-- X+++ R* tv+++ b DI++++ D
G e+ h---- r+++ y++++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Debian-SID Xfce

BioTube

#4 Post by BioTube »

Come to think of it, you CAN do this, more or less - just apt-get source a package, modify the debian/rules file and make a new package.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Telemachus

#5 Post by Telemachus »

What about apt-build?
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Issyer

#6 Post by Issyer »

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#7 Post by mzilikazi »

Telemachus wrote:What about apt-build?
Exactly. Did the OP realize that he actually typed apt-build mewonders?
martinmtz wrote: (kind of an advanced apt-build)
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G